|Naoki Yamamoto Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 11, 1988|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Naoki Yamamoto is a Japanese racing driver. He is best known as the 2013 and 2018 Super Formula champion and winning the Super GT championship in 2018. This made him the 1st driver to win both titles in the same year in 14 years.
Yamamoto Naoki (山本尚貴)
Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
He graduated from Sakushin Gakuin High School in Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan.
- 1 – Team Kunimitsu
- 16 – Mugen Motorsports
- 100 – Team Kunimitsu
5 ft 4½ in or 164 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Naoki Yamamoto got married to his wife on August 11, 2016. They have twin daughters born in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
- Mole below his nose
- Protruding ears
Naoki Yamamoto has endorsed brands such as –
- Fuji WPC
- Honda Technofort
- Seed Corporation
- Sanchi Electronics
- Hoshino Construction
- Morinaga Confectionery
- English School Banana Kids
- Honda Cars Tochigi
- Yamazen Communications
- Oakley Japan
- Arai Helmets
- EXGEL Motorsport’s HANS Padding
Naoki Yamamoto Favorite Things
- Cuisine – Italian
- Foods – Sushi, Carrot Shirishiri
- Hobby – Driving RC (Radio Controlled) Vehicles
- Fruit – Strawberry
- Flower – Cherry Blossom
Naoki Yamamoto Facts
- He was named 2010 Rookie of the Year in Super Formula and won his 1st pole position in 2011.
- The year of 2013 was considered his breakout season. He won the Super Formula championship and 5 podiums.
- His success in 2018 allowed him to reach the 40-point threshold for a Formula One super license.
- Naoki beat his rival, New Zealander Nick Cassidy, to win a double title at Super Formula and Super GT in 2018, by a single point. Nick later stated Naoki would have no problems competing in a Formula 1 team in terms of driving.
- He only won 5th place at the Super Formula championship in 2019. While Naoki blamed himself, the boss of his team, Dandelion Racing, Kiyoshi Muraoka, apologized for “not being able to give his racers a fast car.”
- He set the fastest lap time just 0.1s slower than his teammate, Daniil Kvyat, in his debut practice session of the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix for Toro Rosso-Honda, even though Daniil was much more experienced. Naoki finished in 17th place.
- Naoki was very reluctant to drive for Toro Rosso-Honda, primarily because he thought his age would be a hurdle. If he made a debut for F1 instead of just a practice run, Naoki would have been the oldest F1 rookie after Allan McNish, who made his debut at the age of 33 in 2002.
- By participating in the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix, Naoki became the 1st Japanese racing driver to drive a Formula One car after Kamui Kobayashi in 2014. Another Japanese racing driver with a plausible chance to achieve this was Nobuharu Matsushita.
- A race he’d like to complete is Le Mans 24 Hours, which is nearly impossible because Honda doesn’t have a huge involvement there. On the other hand, Naoki would never compete in the IndyCar series, because he finds the oval racing too risky and he has a family waiting at home.
- His blood type is RH+B.
- He prefers warmer weather over the cold one.
- Naoki does in-door cycling as a form of cardio when weather conditions aren’t optimal.
- He drives a Honda CR-V family car when he’s with his kids and wife.
- His hidden talent is the ability to tie a knot with his tongue without opening the mouth.
- Naoki has a habit of fasting for a week to cleanse his body from toxins. The only thing he uses during that period is a ‘superfood‘ drink named Beauty Lactic’s Lact Cleanse.
Featured Image by Naoki Yamamoto / Instagram