|Paul Dano Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 0½ in|
|Date of Birth||June 19, 1984|
Paul Dano is an American actor, voice artist, theatre actor, producer, director, singer, and musician. Over the years, he has been cast in various movies such as Little Miss Sunshine, 12 Years a Slave, The Batman, There Will Be Blood, Fast Food Nation, Love & Mercy, Okja, Swiss Army Man, Looper, The Guilty, Light and the Sufferer, The Emperor’s Club, L.I.E., The King, The Girl Next Door, Weapons, Taking Woodstock, Taking Lives, The Ballad of Jack and Rose, Explicit Ills, Gigantic, The Good Heart, Where the Wild Things Are, Cowboys & Aliens, The Extra Man, Meek’s Cutoff, Knight and Day, For Ellen, Ruby Sparks, and Youth. In addition to that, his directorial debut was made in the drama film Wildlife (2018). Paul Dano has also been a recipient of many accolades including the Screen Actors Guild Award, Critics’ Choice Movie Award, Gotham Award, and Independent Spirit Award.
Paul Franklin Dano
New York City, New York, United States
Paul has lived with his girlfriend Zoe Kazan in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, New York City.
Paul Dano went to the Browning School in New York City. He later studied at Wilton High School in Connecticut and graduated in 2002.
After completing his high school education, he got enrolled at the Eugene Lang College in New York City.
Actor, Producer, Singer, Musician, Voice Artist, Theatre Actor, Director
- Father – Paul A. Dano
- Mother – Gladys Dano
- Siblings – Sarah Dano (Younger Sister)
- Others – John Dano (Paternal Grandfather), Anna Dano (Paternal Grandmother), Frank Jacob Pipp (Maternal Grandfather), Gloria C. Nilsson (Maternal Grandmother)
Paul Dano has been represented by –
- Anonymous Content
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
His music band Mook had released most of its music on its own through iTunes.
His net worth had been $10 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Paul Dano has dated –
- Zoe Kazan (2007-Present) – Paul has been in a relationship with actor Zoe Kazan since 2007. They first met while working in the play Things We Want, which was directed by Ethan Hawke and started dating shortly after. In 2012, they even co-starred in the movie, Ruby Sparks, which was written by Zoe herself. They have collaborated on a number of plays with Zoe providing the script and Paul mostly assuming the responsibilities of a director. In August 2018, Zoe and Paul had their first child, a daughter which was revealed in October 2018. In November 2022, it was revealed that they were expecting their 2nd child together. Later that month, during an interview, Zoe revealed that they had welcomed their 2nd child.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Slovakian ancestry. While, on his mother’s side, he is of Swedish, Austrian, and Bohemian Czech descent.
- Green Eyes
- Small Lips
- Boyish Looks
His shoe size is speculated to be 12 (US).
Best Known For
- Having played the role of John Tibeats in the period drama, 12 Years a Slave
- Essaying the role of musician Brian Wilson in the biographical drama, Love & Mercy. His work in the movie garnered him a Golden Globe nomination for the best supporting role.
As a Singer
Paul has served as the lead guitarist and vocalist of the rock band, Mook (now disbanded). They released their debut studio album, Mook in January 2011.
In 2000, he made his theatrical debut playing the supporting role of Joel in the family drama, The Newcomers.
First TV Show
In 1998, Paul made his first TV show appearance in the She Got Game episode of the family drama, Smart Guy, in the role of Nicholas.
He has attended Dogpound Gym in New York City.
Paul Dano Favorite Things
- Comfort Food – Cereals
- Cereals – Honey Nut Cheerios, Kashi and Oh’s
- Movies – Early Summer (Japanese movie of 1951), A Man Escaped (1956), A Man Escaped (1967), Stranger Than Paradise (1984), Three Colors: Blue (1993), Stray Dog (Japanese movie of 1949), Still Walking (2008), The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), The Thin Red Line (1998), The Long Day Closes (1992), Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)
- Fictional New Yorker – Ratso Rizzo
- New Yorker – Biggie
- New York Restaurant – Le Bernardin
- Drink – Rye whiskey and bourbon Manhattan
- Medication – Vaseline
Source – Parade, Criterion.com, NY Mag
Paul Dano Facts
- Early in his childhood, he had aspired to become a professional basketball player and didn’t give up on his dream of making it into the NBA until he went to college.
- After he was cast in a regional play in Stanford, Connecticut, he started going for theatre productions. By the age of 12 had made his Broadway debut in a play, Inherit The Wind.
- He decided to enroll in a university because he was unnerved by the success of his acting career and wanted a break of sorts.
- He loves playing basketball and often heads to Brooklyn Bridge Park, which is a 20-minute walk from his home, for a game of hoops.
- To look perfect for his role in Love & Mercy, he had gained 35 pounds. To achieve the desired results, he relied on consuming 4,500 calories a day and if he felt he hadn’t eaten enough, he used to grab a tub of ice cream.
- While playing basketball, he tore his ACL due to the weight gained from his role in Love & Mercy.
- In 2008, he was placed on the #5 spot by the Entertainment Weekly magazine in their ’30 Under 30′ actors’ list.
- He bagged the role of Paul Sunday in the drama movie, There Will be Blood on the recommendation of Daniel Day-Lewis, who was cast in the lead role. He had impressed Daniel with his work while co-starring in the drama movie, The Ballad of Jack and Rose.
- However, he still might not have bagged the role in There Will Be Blood if the actor originally cast in the role of Paul Sunday hadn’t dropped out because he couldn’t handle the pressure of working with Daniel Day-Lewis.
- His parents were encouraged to move back to New York City, after watching him perform in the local production of New Canaan as part of the community theater, so that their son could get the right opportunities to prosper.
- Alongside Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette, Bonnie Hunt, Eric Lange, and David Morse, he co-starred as David Sweat in the television thriller drama limited series Escape at Dannemora in 2018. For this performance, Paul Dano was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie” as well as a Critics’ Choice Television Award for “Best Actor in a Limited Series or Movie Made for Television”.
- He brought to life the character of Edward Nashton/Riddler, a forensic accountant who is inspired by Batman to become a serial killer, in the 2022 superhero film The Batman. Director Matt Reeves wrote the role of the Riddler with Dano in mind to play the part.
- Paul is not on social media.
Featured Image by Georges Biard / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0
Paul’s eyes are green. His shoe size is 12. He’s never directed any plays. His latest personal trainer was from The Dogpound in NYC. Before Zoe, he dated Jenna Lux. His band Mook is no longer together.