John Peter Sarsgaard
Peter Sarsgaard, Peter Scarsgaard
Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, United States
Brooklyn, New York
Peter Sarsgaard started his education in Fairfield College Preparatory School, a private Jesuit boys’ school in Connecticut,
He did his graduation from Fairfield Prep and went to Bard College in New York.
In 1991, he went to Washington University, St. Louis from where he graduated in history.
- Father – John Dale Sarsgaard (Air Force Engineer and Employee at Monsanto and IBM)
- Mother – Judy Lea (née Reinhardt)
- Others – Jake Gyllenhaal (Brother-in-Law) (Actor), Naomi Foner (Mother-in-Law) (Producer, Writer, Actress), Stephen Gyllenhaal (Father-in-Law) (Director, Producer, Writer)
Peter Sarsgaard is attached with Authentic Talent and Literary Management (Talent Management Company), Brooklyn, NY.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
160 lbs or 72 kg
Girlfriend / Spouse
Peter Sarsgaard is romantically linked with –
- Malerie Marder – The actor has dated his close friend and fashion photographer in the past.
- Dita Von Teese (2000) – The American burlesque dancer, model, costume designer, entrepreneur and occasional actress dated the actor for a brief span in 2000.
- Shalom Harlow (2001) – The Canadian fashion model and actress was in a relationship with Peter Sarsgaard in 2001.
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (2002-Present) – The actor has been in a long-term relationship with his present wife Maggie Gyllenhaal, sister of his close friend Jake Gyllenhaal. The couple had been engaged in April 2006 and got married on May 2, 2009, in Italy. They have two daughters. Elder daughter Ramona Sarsgaard was born on October 3, 2006, and the younger daughter Gloria Ray was born on April 19, 2012.
Race / Ethnicity
Peter has Danish, German, Norwegian, Austrian, Ulster-Scots, English and Irish ancestry.
- Supporting roles in films
- Boyish ‘Good’ Guy Look
- Soft Ominous Voice
Peter Sarsgaard’s body specifications may be –
- Chest – 38 in or 96.5 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 32 in or 81 cm
Peter Sarsgaard’s shoe size is not known.
Peter Sarsgaard has not appeared in any brand endorsement till 2015.
Best Known For
His role in the comedy-drama Garden State which was released in 2004. He appeared as Mark in the movie.
He has also marked himself through performances in movies like The Man in the Iron Mask (1998), Boys Don’t Cry (1999), Shattered Glass (2003) and Green Lantern (2011).
Peter Sarsgaard first appeared as Walter Delacroix in the 1995 release Dead Man Walking.
First TV Show
Peter Sarsgaard made his TV debut with the episode Paranoia of 1995 show Law & Order as Josh Strand.
First Stage Performance
Peter Sarsgaard appeared as Harvey Griswold in the Signature Theatre production of Laura Dennis in 1995.
Peter Sarsgaard is not known to have a personal trainer. His fitness is supported by his vegan food habits.
Peter is fond of running and is known to be an avid runner. He also prefers running at least 50-60 miles every week.
Peter Sarsgaard Favorite Things
- Movies – My Bodyguard (1980), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Wendy and Lucy (2008), The Dresser (1983), The Hunt (2013), A Separation (2011).
- Cloth – 45rpm Jeans
- Childhood Hero – Tony Dorsett
- Sports – Soccer
Peter Sarsgaard Facts
- He performed in several plays during his college days and appeared in the role of the servant Lawrence in Molière’s Tartuffe.
- He served as an altar boy as a child. He likes the death-cult aspect of Catholicism.
- He believes that his religious upbringing has helped him perform well and achieve success in playing his roles.
- Though he cooks meat for his children, the actor is a pure vegan himself.
- His surname originates in Denmark.
- An improvisational comedy troupe Mama’s Pot Roast was set up and co-founded by Peter Sarsgaard at Washington University in St. Louis.
- He made his Broadway debut in 2008 at Royal Court Theatre in the play of Anton Chekhov’s adaptation The Seagull.
- Peter Sarsgaard appeared in a video that supported Chelsea Manning in 2013.
- He has won 8 awards for his performance in the movie Shattered Glass, along with Kansas City Film Critics Circle Awards and Toronto Film Critics Association Awards for Best Supporting Actor.
- You can follow Peter Sarsgaard on Twitter, and Google+.