|Princess Mako of Akishino Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 23, 1991|
Mako Komuro (formerly Princess Mako of Akishino) is the first child and older daughter of the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan, and a former member of the Japanese imperial family.
Princess Mako of Akishino, Mako Komuro
Imperial Household Agency Hospital, Tokyo Imperial Palace, Japan
Mako studied at the Gakushūin School in her Primary, Girls’ Junior, and Senior High School years. She also studied English at University College, Dublin (UCD). On March 26, 2014, she graduated from the International Christian University in Mitaka, Tokyo with a bachelor’s degree in Art and Cultural Heritage.
Later, she attended the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland, and studied art history for 9 months, from September 2012 to May 2013. She then moved to the United Kingdom on September 17, 2014, and studied at the University of Leicester for a year.
Mako received an MA degree in Art Museum and Gallery Studies on January 21, 2016. She then enrolled in the doctoral course of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, International Christian University in September 2016.
Researcher at the University of Tokyo Museum
- Father – Fumihito, Prince Akishino (Younger brother and heir presumptive of Emperor Naruhito of Japan and the younger son of Emperor emeritus Akihito and Empress emerita Michiko)
- Mother – Kiko, Princess Akishino
- Siblings – Princess Kako of Akishino (Younger Sister), Prince Hisahito of Akishino (Younger Brother)
- Others – Akihito (Paternal Grandfather) (A member of the Imperial House of Japan who reigned as the 125th emperor of Japan), Empress Michiko (Paternal Grandmother) (A member of the Imperial House of Japan who served as the Empress consort of Japan as the wife of Akihito), Tatsuhiko Kawashima (Maternal Grandfather) (Chief researcher at The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) in Laxenburg, Austria), Kazuyo Sugimoto (Maternal Grandmother), Naruhito, Emperor of Japan (Paternal Uncle) (126th monarch according to Japan’s traditional order of succession), Empress Masako (Aunt), Aiko, Princess Toshi (Cousin), Sayako Kuroda (Aunt) (Imperial Shinto priestess of the Ise Grand Shrine), Yoshiki Kuroda (Uncle)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Princess Mako of Akishino has dated –
- Kei Komuro (2013-Present) – Reportedly, she started dating Kei Komuro, a graduate of International Christian University (ICU), in 2013. It was announced in May 2017 that they were expected to get married and the wedding was originally expected to take place in November 2018 but it was postponed for approximately 3 years due to Kei Komuro’s mother’s involvement in a financial dispute over ¥4 million ($36,000). It was reported in September 2021 that the marriage would take place in the form of a simple ceremony at a government office and the duo got officially married on October 26, 2021. Upon her marriage, she formally lost her title and became a commoner upon marriage as required by Imperial Household Law.
Race / Ethnicity
Princess Mako of Akishino Facts
- While she was an undergraduate student, she received Japanese national certification in curation as well as a driver’s license.
- On October 23, 2011, she was conferred Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown after she came of age. Following that, she started attending official events as an adult member of the Imperial Family and gave her patronage to a number of organizations including the Japan Tennis Association and the Japan Kōgei Association.
- She was styled as Her Imperial Highness Princess Mako until her marriage on October 26, 2021.
Featured Image by Kounosu1 / Wikimedia / Public Domain