|Rashida Tlaib Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 24, 1976|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rashida Tlaib is an American politician and lawyer who is a member of the Democratic Party and has served as the U.S. representative for Michigan’s 12th congressional district. She has been a vocal critic of the Trump administration and the Israeli government and has supported the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign.
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Rashida Tlaib received elementary education at Harms, Bennett Elementary, and Phoenix Academy. She then enrolled at Southwestern High School in Southwest Detroit, Michigan, and graduated in the year 1994.
After that, she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Wayne State University in 1998. In 2004, she completed her Juris Doctor from Thomas M. Cooley Law School. She was eventually admitted to the bar in the state of Michigan in 2007.
- Father – He worked on an assembly line in a Ford Motor Company plant.
- Siblings – Layla Elabed (Sister)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rashida Tlaib has dated –
- Fayez Tlaib (1998-2015) – She got married to Fayez Tlaib in 1998 when she was 22 years old and the duo has 2 sons – Adam and Yousif. The marriage ended in divorce in 2015 and she was referred to as a single mother by a campaign spokesperson in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Rashida Tlaib is of Palestinian Arab descent.
It was reported by The New York Times in September 2018 that she walked into her family’s mosque to express her gratitude for the opportunity to run for Congress, articulating a belief that “my Allah is She”.
The Detroit Free Press has reported that, although she recognizes that some in her faith community consider her not “Muslim enough”, she believes that Allah understands that she deems her actions “reflective of Islam”.
Rashida Tlaib Facts
- She was born to working-class Palestinian immigrants.
- Her name “Rashida” means “righteous”.
- In 2004, Rashida Tlaib started her political career and interned with State Representative Steve Tobocman.
- She became the first Muslim woman to serve as a member of the Michigan State Legislature as well as the second Muslim woman to serve in a state legislature nationwide.
- She announced her candidacy for the U.S. House of Representatives in Michigan’s 13th congressional district in 2018.
- On January 3, 2019, Rashida Tlaib took the congressional oath of office swearing in on an English-language translation of the Quran. For the ceremony, she wore a thawb (thobe), a traditional embroidered Arab dress.
- She became one of the first two Muslim women (alongside fellow Democrat Ilhan Omar of Minnesota) to serve in Congress.
- After the killing of Daunte Wright in 2021, Tlaib described American policing as “inherently and intentionally racist”, saying, “No more policing, incarceration, and militarization. It can’t be reformed.”
- As a supporter of abortion rights, she has criticized what she called “white men trying to force women to not have the right to seek legal abortions”.
- Rashida Tlaib has supported ending the federal prohibition of cannabis and “releasing people convicted of marijuana-related offenses”.
- Congresswoman Cori Bush and Rashida were the only two representatives who voted against a resolution recognizing National Police Week in 2023.
- She was one of the 56 Democrats who voted in favor of H.Con.Res. 21 in 2023 which directed President Joe Biden to remove U.S. troops from Syria within 180 days.
- She has criticized Saudi Arabia’s human rights violations and the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen.
- Rashida Tlaib has worked at Sugar Law Center, a nonprofit providing free legal representation for workers.
Featured Image by United States Congress / Official Congressional Facebook Page / Public Domain