|Robert Downey Jr. Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7¾ in|
|Date of Birth||April 4, 1965|
Robert Downey Jr. is an American actor, producer, singer, songwriter, screenwriter, and voiceover artist who is known for appearing as Tony Stark/Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Some of his other roles include playing Charlie Chaplin in Chaplin, Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder, Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Dr. John Dolittle in Dolittle, Hank Palmer in The Judge, Peter Highman in Due Date, Harry Lockhart in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Dito Montiel in A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Steve Lopez in The Soloist, and Joseph Wershba in Good Night, and Good Luck. Moreover, he has been the 6th-highest-grossing box office star of all-time.
Robert John Downey Jr.
RJD, Bob, Bob Downey
New York, New York, United States
Malibu, California, United States
Robert Downey attended Santa Monica High School in California. But, dropped out in 1982, and went back to New York to pursue his career in acting.
As a teenager, he also went to Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center in New York.
Actor, Singer-Songwriter, Producer, Screenwriter, Producer, Voice Artist
- Father – Robert Downey Sr. (Filmmaker, Actor, Producer)
- Mother – Elsie Downey (Actress)
- Siblings – Allyson Downey (Older Sister)
- Others – Robert R. Elias (Paternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Jesse “Betty” McLoughlin/McLauchlen (Paternal Grandmother), John Webster “Eddie” Ford (Maternal Grandfather), Fay/Faye Marguerite Schoch (Maternal Grandmother)
He was signed to Creative Artists Agency (CAA).
Vocals, Musical Keyboard
5 ft 7¾ in or 172 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Robert has dated –
- Farrah Fawcett – Rumor
- Jennifer Jason Leigh – She had a fling with Downey in the past.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (1984-1991) – Sarah had done dating in the past from 1984 until 1991 when she first met him during the filming of the drama movie “Firstborn”.
- Winona Ryder (1988) – Winona was rumored to be dating Downey in 1988.
- Deborah Falconer (1992-2001) – Actress and singer Deborah started dating Downey in April 1992. They married on May 29, 1992, after a 42-day courtship. The relationship saw an end in 2001 due to Robert’s drug and alcohol addiction. Their divorce was finalized on April 26, 2004. They have a son together – Indio Falconer Downey (b. September 7, 1993).
- Marisa Tomei (1994) – American actress, Marisa dated briefly in 1994 when they first met on the sets of the romantic-comedy film “Only You”.
- Calista Flockhart (2001) – In 2001, Calista was RUMORed to be dating Robert. They first met on the set of the comedy-drama TV series, Ally McBeal.
- Susan Downey (2003-Present) – Downey started dating in August 2003, when they both met during the filming of the film “Gothika”. Susan was a producer at that time, as she was an Executive Vice President of Production company, Silver Pictures. They engaged on November 6, 2003, and married in a Jewish ceremony at Amagansett, New York on August 27, 2005. Together, the couple has a son – Exton Elias Downey (b. February 7, 2012), and a daughter Avri Roel (b. November 2014).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Ashkenazi Jewish, English, Scottish, German, Swiss-German, and Irish descent.
- Often plays intelligent but eccentric roles
- Drawling Voice
- Not being especially modest
He might be wearing a size 10 (US) shoe. However, it is not confirmed.
Kraft Foods Planters’ Peanuts (2010)
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Marvel superhero Tony Stark/Iron Man in the live-action film Iron Man. He has played the same role in its sequels and The Avengers (2012).
- Portraying the character of British comedian Charlie Chaplin in the 1992 biographical comedy-drama film, Chaplin. This role got him nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Actor” in 1992.
As a Singer
He is not a hardcore singer. But, has contributed to many different songs in his career. Some of which include “Smile” in 1992, “The Star-Spangled Banner” in 1993, “White Christmas” in 2000, “In My Dreams” in 2003, “Broken” in 2005, and others.
Smile in 1992 was his first song contribution.
Debut studio album, The Futurist by actor Robert Downey Jr. was released in November 2004. It appeared at number 121 on Billboard’s charts by selling 16,000 copies in its first week. It consists of 10 singles.
He debuted with the 1970 film Pound directed and written by his father. He played the role of a “Puppy” and he was just 5 years old at that time.
First TV Show
American late-night live TV sketch comedy, Saturday Night Live (also known as SNL). He was a cast member and did 18 episodes in 1985.
He took the help of the trainer, Brad to gain the Iron Man type build. His focus was to gain muscle mass with a variety of exercises. Downey spent time in cardio sessions, back extensions, squats, chest presses, deadlifts, etc., and had a balanced diet with a proper focus on carbs and protein intake. Get the full insights into his workout routine and diet plan.
“I’ve always felt like such an outsider in this industry. Because I’m so insane, I guess”
“A lot of my peer group think I’m an eccentric bisexual, like I may even have an ammonia filled tentacle or something somewhere on my body. That’s okay.”
Robert Downey, Jr Favorite Things
- Actor – Peter O’Toole
- Movies – Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes
- Color – Green
Source – IMDb, TheCelebrityCafe.com
Robert Downey, Jr Facts
- His father is of half Irish Catholic and half Russian Jewish descent while his mother has German, Scottish, and Swiss ancestry.
- His father, Robert Downey Sr. was born as “Robert Elias” but changed his surname to “Downey” (after his stepfather James Downey).
- Robert Jr. and his older sister grew up in Greenwich Village and was born in Manhattan.
- His father was a drug addict and so, Robert Jr. also used drugs at the age of six.
- He did his first film at the age of 5, by working in his father’s film.
- His parents divorced in 1978 (when he was 13 years old).
- He was cast as Kirk Lazarus, an Australian method actor and five-time Academy Award winner, in the 2008 satirical action comedy film, Tropic Thunder, in which he co-starred alongside Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Steve Coogan, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Brandon T. Jackson, Bill Hader, and Nick Nolte. His performance got him nominated for the 2009 Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
- In 2010, he opened a production company called “Team Downey” with his wife Susan.
- He had a cameo role in the 2008 movie “The Incredible Hunk” as Iron Man / Tony Stark.
- In 2008, he was flashed in a video game titled “Iron Man” for his role as Tony Stark.
- He has served in jail several times for drug intake like marijuana.
- To play the iconic role of Tony Stark/Iron Man in Marvel Studio films, he beat several candidates in screen-testing including Sam Rockwell and Timothy Olyphant to get the role.