|Shelby Rogers Quick Info
|5 ft 9 in
|Date of Birth
|October 13, 1992
Shelby Rogers is an American professional tennis player who is adept at both the singles and doubles formats of the sport having broken into the ‘Top 50’ of the official WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) singles rankings in January 2017 and the ‘Top 110’ of the official doubles rankings in the same month. She had reached the 4th round of the Australian Open in 2021 before which she had made it to the quarter-final of the 2016 French Open and the 2020 US Open. She was also a member of the US squad that had won the prestigious Fed Cup in 2017.
Mount Pleasant, Charleston County, South Carolina, United States
Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina, United States
Shelby was homeschooled during high school. Although she had received sports scholarship offers from several top institutions in the U.S., she had decided, in 2009, to forgo college and become a professional tennis player.
Professional Tennis Player
- Mother – Starley Gabrish
- Siblings – Sabra Rogers (Older Sister) (Tennis Player)
- Others – Jim Gabrish (Step-Father)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of American descent.
- Toned physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Charming smile
Shelby has been sponsored by –
- Wilson Sporting Goods
Shelby Rogers Favorite Things
- Tennis Tournaments – US Open, Charleston Open
- Sports – Tennis, Ice Hockey
- Ice Hockey Team – Tampa Bay Lightning
- Tennis Role Model/Idol – Steffi Graf
Shelby Rogers Facts
- She had started playing tennis from the age of 6, had started competing nationally by 11, and had won the USTA (United States Tennis Association) Girls’ National Championship when she was just 17 years old. This had earned her a wildcard into the 2010 US Open, which was her first appearance in the main draw of any Grand Slam tournament. She had lost her first-round match in 3 sets.
- She had earned another Grand Slam main-draw wildcard, this time for the 2013 French Open, after winning the Har-Tru USTA Pro Circuit Wild Card Challenge. This time though, she had managed to win her first career Grand Slam match.
- Her career has been notable for several upset victories over players ranked way above her. She had defeated then world number 4 Simona Halep when she had reached the 4th round of the Australian Open (2021) for the first time in her career. The previous year, she had shocked Serena Williams (then ranked 9th in the world) at the Top Seed Open.
- As of March 2021, she had also knocked over former world number 2 Petra Kvitová twice – at the 2016 French Open and the 2020 US Open. She had even saved 4 match points in the latter game. Incidentally, as of March 2021, these were also the only instances in her career where she had made it to the 2nd week, and the quarterfinals, at Grand Slam tournaments.
- At the former event, her first Grand Slam quarter-final appearance, she had become the first American player other than Serena Williams to have reached the quarter-final stage of that tournament since Venus Williams in 2006.
Featured Image by Shelby Rogers / Instagram