|Solar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||February 21, 1991|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Solar is a South Korean singer, songwriter, host, and actress who is known for being the leader and vocalist of the girl group, Mamamoo. When she was young, she wanted to become either a flight attendant or a tour guide in Korea. However, interestingly enough, she eventually became the lead vocalist of Mamamoo after she was discovered by an agent and has worked on a number of albums, EPs, and tracks, which include the likes of Melting, 4colors, Piano Man, Pink Funky, Memory, Hello, Purple, Yellow Flower, White Wind, and Red Moon, with the girl group and her groupmates include Moonbyul, Wheein, and Hwasa. Mamamoo has also become largely popular amongst its audience and has amassed a huge social media fan base with more than 2.5 million followers on Instagram, more than a million followers on Twitter, more than 2 million subscribers on YouTube, and more than a million followers on Facebook. Moreover, Solar also has her very own YouTube channel which was created on January 23, 2019, and it has garnered more than 800k subscribers as well as more than 30 million views on its videos. She has also flourished as an actress and has been cast in several shows such as Imaginary Cat, Entourage, and We Got Married, for which she also won a 16th MBC Entertainment Awards alongside singer, songwriter, and host, Eric Nam.
Solar, Yongkong, Squirtle
Gangseo-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Seoul, South Korea
Solar completed her graduation from Modern K Music Academy University located in Seoul, South Korea.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Host
- Siblings – Yong-hee (Older Sister)
Solar is represented by RBW (Rainbow Bridge World).
K-Pop, Retro, Jazz, R&B, Ballad
RBW (Rainbow Bridge World), Victor
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has said that she likes hip hop artist Simon Dominic and has described her ideal type as someone who can rap, is both impressive and cool, and with whom, she can create music and stuff.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of South Korean descent.
She has often dyed her hair in shades such as ‘blonde’.
- Lean physique
- Dimpled smile
- Pouty lips
- A beauty spot under her right eyebrow
Best Known For
- Being the leader as well as the vocalist of the South Korean girl group, Mamamoo, and working alongside her bandmates Moonbyul, Wheein, and Hwasa. The group has released a number of albums, EPs, and tracks which include the likes of Melting, 4colors, Piano Man, Pink Funky, Memory, Hello, Purple, Yellow Flower, White Wind, Red Moon, and many more.
- Having been cast in the MBC reality-variety show, We Got Married, alongside Korean-American singer, songwriter, and host, Eric Nam, in 2016. For this, Solar also received a 16th MBC Entertainment Award nomination in the “Female Rookie Award in Variety Show” category while she won a 16th MBC Entertainment Award in the “Best Couple” (along with Eric Nam) category in 2016.
- The immense social media popularity of Mamamoo as it has garnered more than 2.5 million followers on Instagram, more than a million followers on Twitter, more than 2 million subscribers on YouTube, and more than a million followers on Facebook
As a member of the girl group Mamamoo, Solar released her debut studio album, titled Melting, via Rainbow Bridge World (RBW) on February 26, 2016. The album comprised of songs such as You’re the Best, I Miss You, Girl Crush, Taller Than You, Words Don’t Come Easy, My Hometown, Friday Night, and Cat Fight and was ranked at number #2 in the Gaon Album Chart and at number #8 in the US World Albums (Billboard) Chart. Also, its song, You’re the Best, went on to win the Gaon Chart Music Award in the “Song of the Year” category in 2016 as well as Golden Disc Award in the “Digital Bonsang” category in 2017.
First TV Show
Solar made her first TV show appearance by playing the role of Jung Soo-in in an episode of the MBC Every1 fantasy romantic comedy series, Imaginary Cat, in 2015. Directed by Lee Hyun-joo, the show starred the likes of Yoo Seung-ho, Han Ye-ri, and Cho Hye-jung.
Solar stays in shape by maintaining an active lifestyle.
Solar Favorite Things
- Movie – Grave Encounters
- Food – Deep-fried sweet rice cakes, Chocolate
- Drama Genre – Gore
- Music Genre – Hip Hop
- Musicians – Lil Wayne, Amy Winehouse
Source – Miner8.com
- She was raised alongside her older sister in Gangseo-gu, Seoul, South Korea.
- While growing up, she aspired to become a flight attendant or a tour guide for foreigners. However, destiny had some other plans for her and she was discovered by an agent after she sang for a free gift.
- Solar is often considered as Mamamoo‘s mother figure.
- She has been credited for creating the official fan song for Mamamoo.
- She used to be roommates with her Mamamoo bandmate, Hwasa.
- In 2016, Solar appeared in an episode of the TVN series, Entourage, which starred the likes of Cho Jin-woong, Seo Kang-joon, Lee Kwang-soo, Park Jung-min, and Lee Dong-hwi.
- She was ranked at number #36 in “The 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2018” list curated by TC Candler.
- Solar shares a close bond with Red Velvet‘s Irene and Apink‘s Chorong.
- She is terrified of ghosts and, hence, is referred to as Mamamoo‘s scaredy-cat.
- She enjoys listening to hip-hop as well as collecting hats.
- Solar is the oldest member of the girl group, Mamamoo.
- She does not like reptiles.
- She served as a host for the 6th Gaon Chart Music Awards as well as for the KBS Song Festival in the year 2017.
- Solar joined YouTube with her channel, Solarsido, on January 23, 2019, and uploaded the very first video the following month i.e. on February 16, 2019. She has uploaded a variety of videos on the channel which are based on challenges, Q&As, music, and much more and the channel has also accumulated more than 800k subscribers as well as more than 30 million views on its videos.
- Follow the girl group Mamamoo on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Follow Solar on YouTube.
Featured Image by user-psd / Tistory.com / CC BY 4.0