Michael Ebenazer Kwadjo Omari Owuo, Jr.
Stormzy, Wicked Skengman, Big Mike, The Problem, Stiff Chocolate
Croydon, London, England
He has an apartment in West London.
Stormzy went to the Harris Academy South Norwood (earlier known as Stanley Tech School). At the GCSE exams, he achieved a score of 6 A*, 3 A’s and 5 B’s.
In Year 8 of school education, he was excluded on several occasions. Also, he was expelled from the school in the sixth form for disciplinary reasons.
- Father – Was a cab driver
- Mother – Abigail Owuo
- Siblings – Rachel Owuo (Older Sister), Sylvia Owuo (Older Sister), Brandon (Younger Maternal Half-Brother)
Stormzy is represented by his childhood acquaintance Tobe Onwuka.
He is also signed up with London based Primary Talent International.
Grime, British Hip Hop
6 ft 5 in or 196 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Stormzy has dated
- Maya Jama (2015-2019) – Stormzy started going out with model and TV presenter Maya Jama in 2015. However, they kept their love affair largely secret for about a year. They made their relationship public in 2016. On the eve of her 22nd birthday, he dedicated his single Birthday Girl to her. She has even made an appearance in his music videos like Big For Your Boots. They had made several red carpet events as well, including at the 2017 Glamour Women of The Year awards. They split up in 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Ghanaian descent.
- Tall stature
- Close cropped hairstyle
- Beard just along the chin
In August 2016, he was cast in a TV commercial for the sportswear giant, Nike. He collaborated with English soccer giants Manchester United for the advert.
He had a very religious upbringing. His mother used to take him to the Elim Pentecostal chapel every Sunday.
He is a firm believer in the glory of God.
Best Known For
- His close friendship with soccer star Paul Pogba. Stormzy was featured in a video to announce Pogba’s return to Manchester United.
- The success of his studio album, Gang Signs & Prayer. It was the first ever Grime music album to have reached the top spot on the UK Albums Chart.
In February 2017, his debut studio album, Gang Signs & Prayer was released to high acclaim.
In August 2016, he made his theatrical film debut in a minor role in the crime drama movie, Brotherhood.
First TV Show
In 2015, Stormzy made his first TV show appearance as himself in the comedy series, Chewing Gum.
Stormzy Favorite Things
- Subject – English Literature
Source – The Fader
- He was expelled from school in 6th grade for dumping a heap of stools on his female classmate.
- Stormzy was raised by his mother as a single parent because his father was absent throughout his childhood.
- He started rapping over beats by the age of 11. He used to do it mostly after school with a couple of friends who were into grime music as well.
- At the age of 10, he had begged his older sister to take him to her house party so he could experience proper grime music. However, he ended up falling asleep in the corner while standing up.
- After he was expelled from school, his sister got him a job at Screwfix, which is UK’s largest multichannel retailer of accessories, trade tools, and hardware products.
- Before becoming a full-time grime artist, he got enrolled in a two-year engineering apprentice at Leamington Spa. However, he didn’t complete it because he was bored of it.
- One of the other jobs, he held was to work in quality assurance at an oil refinery in Southampton for two years.
- In March 2016, he was invited by the Oxford Guild Business Society to speak about his career and to interact with around 7,000 students.
- In February 2017, he took to his Twitter to reveal that police had tried to break into his house by kicking down his door. The police maintained that they thought the property was vacant and they received a report about a conspiracy to burgle it.
- In his teens, he peddled drugs for a brief period of time. He was also entangled in local gang culture but his time at Leamington Spa helped him realize its pitfalls and he left gang culture behind.
- While studying in school, he used to write poems.
- He occasionally struggles with depression.
- By the age of 11, he was competing with much older rappers at the local club.
- He initially grabbed attention through his YouTube channel, which he had created in 2011. His Wicked Skengman freestyles were especially a huge hit.
- He holds the distinction of being the first artist to have won MOBO’s ‘Best Grime Act’ award.
- He also holds the distinction of being the first unsigned rapper to have performed at the popular British music TV show, Later… with Jools Holland.
- Visit his official website @ stormzy.com.
Featured Image via POPCENTRAL TV / YouTube / CC BY 3.0