|Syesha Mercado Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||January 2, 1987|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Syesha Mercado is an American singer, songwriter, actor, theatre artist, television personality, and model who was the 3rd-place finalist on the 7th season of American Idol. She has released songs such as Christmas Melody and Tears. Additionally, she has also been cast as Deena Jones in the United States national tour of Dreamgirls that also opened internationally in Japan.
Syesha Raquel Mercado
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
Syesha Mercado studied at Booker High School for the Visual and Performings Arts Theatre Program and graduated with a certificate as a performance major in Sarasota, where she appeared in various productions. She graduated from Booker High School in 2005.
She also attended Daughtrey Elementary School and Manatee School for the Arts, both in Manatee County. She has also attended Florida International University in Miami, majoring in theatre.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Model, Theatre Artist, Television Personality
- Father – José
- Mother – Zelda (Former Motown Backup Singer)
R&B, Soul, Pop
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Syesha Mercado has dated –
- Hess Wesley
- Tyron Deener – They have a daughter named Ast.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Hispanic and Black)
Syesha Mercado is of Puerto Rican descent on her father’s side and has African-American roots on her mother’s side.
Syesha Mercado Facts
- She was raised in Bradenton and Sarasota, Florida.
- In the summer of 2006, she appeared as a contestant on the failed ABC talent show, The One: Making a Music Star.
- Some of her musical influences are Whitney Houston, Etta James, Alicia Keys, Zap Mama, Lauryn Hill, and Aretha Franklin.
- On June 25, 2009, it was announced that Syesha Mercado had landed the lead role of Deena Jones in the United States national tour of Dreamgirls. Subsequently, she appeared on The Wendy Williams Show on November 4, 2009, to promote the tour which began on November 7, 2009, and ended on December 29, 2010.
- In 2012, she starred as Ti Moune in the revival of Once on This Island at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, New Jersey.
- Syesha made her Broadway debut by reprising the role of Nabulungi in the Broadway production of the Book of Mormon in 2014.
- She has shared a close bond with former idol contestant Ramiele Malubay.
- In 2021, it was reported that Syesha Mercado had lost custody of her newborn daughter Ast to Child Protective Services.
Featured Image by Jyle Dupuis / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0