|Trevor Noah Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¼ in|
|Date of Birth||February 20, 1984|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Trevor Noah is a South African comedian who rose to fame as the host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central. He was relatively unknown in America when he took over the show succeeding Jon Stewart in 2015. However, his political satire on the show, derived mainly from Trump’s presidency, saw him rise in popularity at a quick pace. He has performed globally as a stand-up comedian and his comedic sets are mostly derived from his personal experiences while growing up as a biracial kid in apartheid South Africa. In his book, Born a Crime, he has described his difficult childhood using his signature humor and optimism.
Johannesburg, South Africa
New York City, New York, United States
Trevor attended Maryvale College in Johannesburg.
Comedian, Writer, Producer, Actor, Voice Actor, Television Host, Political Commentator
- Father – Robert
- Mother – Patricia Nombuyiselo Noah
- Siblings – None
- Others – Temperance Noah (Maternal Grandfather), Nomalizo Frances Noah (Maternal Grandmother), Ngisaveni Abel Shingange (Step-Father), Sfiso Khoza (Step-Father), Andrew Shingange (Younger Half-Brother), Isaac Shingange (Younger Half-Brother)
Trevor is represented by the California-based Mainstay Entertainment.
Political /News Satire, Observational Comedy, Surreal Humor, Black Comedy, Insult Comedy, Deadpan
Mass Media /News Media /Media Criticism, American Politics, South African Culture, Current Events, Race Relations, Pop Culture
5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
77 kg or 169.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Trevor has dated –
- Dani Gabriel (2014-2015) – Trevor began dating physiotherapist Dani Gabriel in 2014. As they were both from South Africa and came from similar ethnic backgrounds, they grew close very quickly and were also rumored to have gotten engaged. Dani accompanied her then-boyfriend all around the world while he was on his comedy tours and the two never shied away from sharing their love on social media. However, as Trevor’s career took off in America, the couple soon found their lives going in different directions and split up amicably in 2015.
- Jordyn Taylor (2015-2018) – American singer Jordyn Taylor had caught the fancy of Noah while he was performing at one of his comedy gigs in 2015. Jordyn is a singer-turned-model and also works as a real estate agent. She had even relocated to New York to share space with him in his Manhattan penthouse. But, sadly the couple separated in the summer of 2018.
- Minka Kelly (2020-2021, 2021-Present) – Trevor was first linked with actress, Minka Kelly in August 2020. Later in the year, they were seen house-hunting in Los Angeles. However, the relationship came to an end in 2021. It was revealed in May 2021 that they had separated. In June 2021, they seemingly were together again.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Swiss-German ancestry on his father’s side and is of Xhosa South African descent on his mother’s side.
Trevor has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Xfinity (2017)
- Time Magazine (2018)
- Cell C (2010)
He was raised in a Christian household and as a kid, he used to attend the Roman Catholic church every Sunday. When he was around 10 years old, his mother converted to Judaism and made him aware of certain practices and religious aspects of the faith. However, she did not convert him to Judaism.
Best Known For
- Succeeding Jon Stewart as the host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central in 2015. His political satire, revolving mostly around Donald Trump‘s presidency, made a connection with the audiences which resulted in boosting his career as well as the show.
- Being a successful stand-up comedian, having performed sold-out shows all over the world
In 2011, Trevor made his feature film debut as Pilo with the soccer-comedy, Taka Takata.
As a voice actor, he made his theatrical film debut by voicing the character of Griot in the superhero movie, Black Panther, in 2018.
First TV Show
In 2002, Trevor made his first TV show appearance in a minor role in the soap opera, Isidingo. However, his role was uncredited.
His first credited TV show appearance was made in 2008 as the host of the show, The Amazing Date.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut as a clue giver on the show, Jeopardy!, in 2018.
As the host of a popular news show, Trevor’s daily life is hectic and he hardly finds time to visit the gym. But, he has incorporated a smart way to stay fit by squeezing in impromptu exercises like pull-ups, lunges, and squats while running about fulfilling his commitments at his workplace. He also has an active lifestyle and is always on his feet which helps him feel energized throughout the day.
Noah has found a significant improvement in his energy levels by cutting off all kinds of sugar and refined carbs from his daily diet. Once he got used to his new diet, he found himself more alert to the surroundings.
Trevor Noah Favorite Things
- Writers – Roald Dahl, J. K. Rowling, Dr. Seuss, Joseph Opio
- Fiction Hero – Obelix
- Journey – Flying to Australia
- Songs Of 2016 – Panda by Desiigner, Fade by Kanye West, Worry by Jack Garratt, Freedom (featuring Kendrick Lamar) by Beyoncé, Can’t Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake
- Artists From South Africa – DJ Black Coffee, Rapper AKA (Kiernan Jarryd Forbes), Brenda Fassie, Culoe De Song
- Books – The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, My Traitor’s Heart by Rian Malan, To Quote Myself: A Memoir by Khaya Dlanga, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, Born Standing Up by Steve Martin, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling, Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela, But What if We’re Wrong? by Chuck Klosterman, Native Life in South Africa by Sol Plaatje, Move Your Shadow by Joseph Lelyveld
- Books As A Child – The Bible, The BFG by Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar & Six More by Roald Dahl
- Comedians – Eddie Izzard, Carl Barron, Kitty Flanagan, Wil Sylvince (From Haiti)
Trevor Noah Facts
- His mother named him ‘Trevor’ after her favorite celebrity, John Travolta. According to her, Trevor was the closest she could come in naming her son after the actor.
- As Noah’s mother was a Black and his father was a White, their interracial relations was punishable by law during the apartheid era in South Africa. Hence, his mother served a jail term and was also fined by the South African government for giving birth to a multiracial kid.
- Growing up, Noah’s ethnic identity had to be kept hidden for his safety. He has enumerated instances where his parents would distance themselves from him in public places to avoid suspicion.
- He is a polyglot or multi-linguist because he is fluent in many languages including English, Xhosa, Zulu, Sotho, Tswana, Tsonga, Afrikaans, and German.
- In 2018, he was included in Time magazine’s list of 100 Most Influential People in the World.
- His sudden rise in popularity also helped him getting named as one of The 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media consecutively in 2017 and 2018 in a list curated by The Hollywood Reporter.
- In 2009, Trevor’s mom was shot by her ex-husband Shingange, whom she divorced in 1996, in a fit of rage. She was shot in the leg and the back of her head but, surprisingly, the bullet escaped while avoiding the spinal cord and brain and caused minimal damage. Trevor was also threatened by his ex-stepfather and it was then that he decided to leave Johannesburg and moved to Los Angeles for good.
- On January 6, 2012, Trevor became the first South African stand-up comedian to have made an appearance on The Tonight Show. The following year, on May 17, 2013, he achieved the same distinction by appearing on Late Show With David Letterman.
- He released his first book, Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood,
on November 15, 2016, which has garnered critical acclaim. The book is an autobiography that chronicles his life growing up as a biracial kid in apartheid South Africa.
- Shortly after, a film adaptation of the book was announced with Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o essaying the role of Trevor’s mother Patricia.
- In 2018, his second book, titled The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library, was released. Noah worked with the writing staff of The Daily Show to include hundreds of tweets by Trump, and the book also includes a foreword by Jon Meacham, the Pulitzer Prize-winning historian.
- In April 2018, he launched the Trevor Noah Foundation with the aim to provide the necessary education and skills to help the underprivileged children in South Africa succeed in life.
- Trevor Noah was the host of the 2021 Grammys held in March.
- In 2020, he bought an 11,000 sq. ft mansion for $27.5 million in the Bel-Air neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Featured Image by Trevor Noah / Instagram