|Vashtie Kola Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 23, 1981|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Vashtie Kola is an American music video director, artist, filmmaker, model, designer, creative consultant, and DJ, best known for directing a music video for One Time song by Justin Bieber and Solange‘s T.O.N.Y. song in 2009, as well as, Kendrick Lamar‘s A.D.H.D single in 2011, along with creating her own artistic music video for Hotline Bing, a well known Drake hit single from 2015. Vashtie also directed the music video for a song by Kid Cudi named Heaven at Nite in 2008, as well as music videos for a collaboration of Shontelle, Rihanna, and J-Status in form of a song Roll It, Jadakiss‘ Letter to B.I.G dedicated to The Notorious B.I.G, as well as Joey Bada$$‘ Waves in 2012. She also worked with music groups such as Child Rebel Soldier for their Us Placers song in 2007, along with Gym Class Heroes band for their Martyrial Girl$ song video in 2012.
In 2006, Vashtie became a creative director of Island Def Jam, a well-known company, and started monthly parties called 1992 the same year, where she played only music from the 80s and 90s. Well-known socialites, actors, and musicians such as Zoe Kravitz, Patrick Ewing, DJ Premier, Maxwell, Ne-Yo, Dave Chappelle, Jay-Z, and many others were seen attending the event. In 2008, Vashtie started her own clothing line named Violette and later collaborated with brands such as Beats by Dr. Dre, PUMA, Nike, Jordan, and others to create limited-edition or unique products. On February 14, 2019, she presented her 8-minute short film titled French New York Wave that she wrote, directed, and starred in.
Albany, New York, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Vashtie attended New York City School of Visual Arts in New York City, New York, United States in 1999. She graduated with a degree in film in 2004.
Creative Director, Artist, Film Director, Music Video Director, DJ, Designer, Model
Vashtie is represented by –
- 3DD Distribution
- Cinematic Music Group
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
53 kg or 117 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Vashtie has dated –
- André Benjamin – She dated the American musician, André Benjamin sometime in the past.
- Pharrell Williams (2004-2009) – Vashtie was in a long term relationship with the well known American rapper and musician Pharrell Williams from September 2004 up until late 2009. The pair met through Pusha T, another well-known rapper, and Vashie later said in an interview that she learned a lot about music and business from Pharrell, which impacted her own creativity, knowledge, and success.
- Joey Badass (2015) – Vashtie was linked with the American rapper Joey Badass in September 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Asian and Black)
She has Trinbagonian, African, and Indian ancestry.
- Dark curly hair
- Very dark brown eyes
- Slim physique
- Fuller Lips
She has endorsed brands such as her own brand Violette clothing (2008), Billionaire Boys Club clothing line (2005), Beats by Dr. Dre (Violette Beats), Violette Jordan shoes (2010), Ice Cream Girl brand, DKNY fashion (2013), Pepsi Refresh Program (2009), Nike Destroyer campaign (2009), Rachel Roy (2010), PUMA (2015), Macy’s (2017), Swarowski (2017), Gabby Elan Jewelry (2019), and KILIAN perfume (2019).
Best Known For
- Being a creative director for Island Def Jam brand in 2006
- Starting her own clothing brand named Violette in 2008
- Working with well-known brands such as Dr. Dre, Jordan, PUMA, Macy’s, Nike, and others
- Directing and starring in an art film for Hotline Bling, a song by Drake in 2015
- Directing music videos such as One Time by Justin Bieber, Solange’s T.O.N.Y, Kendrick Lamar’s A.D.H.D, Gym Class Heroes’ Martyrial Girl$, and others
As a Music Director
The first music video she directed was a 2005 song titled Papercut by Beans, a well-known rapper. She also directed a number of other songs including Come Again by Tony Hussle released the same year, Us Placers by Child Rebel Soldier, and I Want Your Soul by Armand Van Helden.
First TV Show
Vashtie’s first television appearance was in a TV series Dinner with the Band in 2010, where she appeared as herself.
Vashtie is a raw vegan, despite her family being meat eaters and loving a typical Indian or Trinidad food cuisine. She claimed her mother was supportive, and that she creates a great curry vegetable meal for her.
Her slim physique is a mix of great genetics and working out in private, as she has to stay in shape for various modeling projects.
Vashtie Kola Favorite Things
- Animal – Cat
- Jewelry – Necklaces, Rings
- Hobby – Smoking cigars
- Champagne – Moët
Vashtie Kola Facts
- She has a cat named Vladimir, whose breed is a Russian blue cat.
- Vashtie grew up in Albany, New York, United States, and initially assumed she was black. However, black kids told her she looked Indian, and Indian kids told her she looked black, for which she has to thank her multiracial ancestry consisting of Indian, Trinbagonian and African roots.
- She considers Sofia Coppola, Gwen Stefani, Kim Gordon, and Aaliyah riot, independent, and tough girls.
- Growing up, she was an outcast. She liked punk rock, skateboards, and tattoos.
- Vashtie worked in a tattoo shop from 8th grade until she went to college. She initially went inside just to kill time, and because she had a crush on the owner. After spending a lot of time there, the owner offered her a job of cleaning and sterilizing the grips and tubes.
- Vashtie was drawn to the Supreme skate shop on Lafayette St. in East Village in Lafayette Street in New York City, New York. It was one of the reasons the press soon called her Downtown’s Sweetheart, which is a nickname she later used for her website.
- During the time she studied at the New York School of Visual Arts in 1999, she worked at a Stüssy store in SoHo, New York City. It was there that she became friends with various streetwear designers, skaters, and graffiti artists, and even became a roommate with a legendary street artist Earsnot.
- Most of her music videos from 2005 and 2006 were done under Box Fresh Pictures where she was signed as a director.
- In 2008, her monthly party event 1992 was nominated in the category of “Best Party” at the Paper Magazine Nightlife Awards.
- Solange Knowles, the singer behind the T.O.N.Y. song Vashtie directed a music video for, is Beyonce Knowles‘s sister.
- In 2009, Vibe magazine listed her at the 23rd spot of their “31 Most Stylish People Under 31” list. The same year, Nylon magazine featured her as part of their It Girls lineup.
- Vashtie became the 1st female to collaborate with Jordan, a well-known shoe brand. She made her own sneaker design that was sold at only selected boutiques and it sold out very quickly within the first few days.
- When asked what her profession was among such a huge portfolio, she said she was an artist primarily.
- In 2011, Vashtie was featured in The New York Times magazine and praised for her style, relatability to a variety of girls from different backgrounds and cultures, and her versatility in various fields of the media industry.
- Vashtie got a Polaroid SX-70 camera in 2011 in order to take photos of her friends and colleagues. She said the reason for buying that particular model was that it was the same one Andy Warhol used for his portraits.
- She starred in 3AM, a documentary reality TV series by Showtime, for 1 episode in 2015. The series dealt with the late-night life of the New York City that she was also a part of. The series was canceled after only 7 episodes in January 2016.
- Visit her official website @ vashtie.com.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Tumblr.
Featured Image by Vashtie Kola / Instagram