|Donnie Wahlberg Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||August 17, 1969|
Donnie Wahlberg is a singer, songwriter, and actor who is widely recognized as a founding member of the highly-successful band, New Kids on the Block. During the late 80s and early 90s, he became well-known as the resident bad boy of the group and was involved in several antics that found him on the wrong side of the law. Regardless, the boy band attracted huge fanfare and was considered as one of the most popular acts in the United States. But in 1994, the members decided to disband following a series of allegations that led to a decline in their popularity. However, New Kids on the Block made their comeback in 2007 and have since embarked on nationwide tours with other musical acts.
After leaving the band, Donnie shifted his focus on acting and began generating praise for his roles in The Sixth Sense as Vincent Grey, Band of Brothers as Carwood Lipton, and Blue Bloods as Detective Danny Reagan. He has also appeared in the reality series Wahlburgers which chronicles his family’s fast-food chain business. Since 2014, he has been married to former Playboy Playmate Jenny McCarthy. His online fan base includes more than 1 million followers on Instagram, around 1 million followers on Facebook, and 1.5 million followers on Twitter.
Donald Edmond Wahlberg Jr.
Donnie, Cheese, Ddub, Donnie D
Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States
St. Charles, Illinois, United States
Donnie attended the William Monroe Trotter School in Roxbury, Massachusetts. During this time, he formed a close friendship with Danny Wood, who would become his future bandmate. Later, he attended Copley High School where he took drama classes and was also involved in sports like baseball and basketball.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actor, Film Producer
- Father – Donald Edmond Wahlberg Sr. (Delivery Driver) (Died in 2008)
- Mother – Alma Elaine (née Donnelly) (Bank Clerk & Nurse’s Aide) (Died in 2021)
- Siblings – Arthur Wahlberg (Older Brother), Jim Wahlberg (Older Brother), Paul Wahlberg (Older Brother) (Chef, Actor, Reality TV Star), Robert Wahlberg (Older Brother) (Actor), Tracey Wahlberg (Older Sister), Michelle Wahlberg (Older Sister), Deborah Wahlberg (Older Sister) (Died in 2003), Mark Wahlberg (Younger Brother) (Actor, Producer, Model, Rapper, Businessman, Songwriter)
- Others – Axel Simon Wahlberg (Paternal Grandfather), Mary Madeline Bradley (Paternal Grandmother), Arthur Ambrose Donnelly (Maternal Grandfather), Leone Floyd Brisbois (Maternal Grandmother), Nathaniel Hawthorne (Distant Maternal Relative) (Novelist), Donna Wahlberg (Step-sister), Scott Wahlberg (Step-brother), Buddy Wahlberg (Step-brother), Jeffrey Wahlberg (Nephew) (Son of Jim) (Actor), Rhea Durham (Sister-in-law) (Wife of Mark) (Model), Ella Rae Wahlberg (Niece) (Daughter of Mark), Grace Margaret Wahlberg (Niece) (Daughter of Mark), Michael Wahlberg (Nephew) (Son of Mark), Brendan Joseph Wahlberg (Nephew) (Son of Mark), Gina Santangelo (Ex sister-in-law) (Ex-wife of Robert), Oscar Wahlberg (Nephew) (Son of Robert) (Actor), Charlie Wahlberg (Niece) (Daughter of Robert), Maddison Wahlberg (Niece) (Daughter of Paul), Ethan Wahlberg (Nephew) (Son of Paul), Linda McCarthy (Mother-in-law) (Courtroom Custodian), Daniel McCarthy (Father-in-law) (Steel Mill Foreman), Joanne McCarthy (Sister-in-law) (Sister of Jenny) (Basketball Player), Lynette McCarthy (Sister-in-law) (Sister of Jenny), Amy McCarthy (Sister-in-law) (Sister of Jenny), Melissa McCarthy (Cousin-in-law) (Cousin sister of Jenny) (Actress)
Donnie is represented by the Rain Management Group in California.
Pop, Hip Hop, Blue-eyed Soul
Columbia Records, Interscope Records
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Donnie Wahlberg has dated –
- Kimberly Fey (1991-2008) – Kimberly Fey and Donnie began dating in 1991 when she was working as a recording engineer for his brother Mark’s hip-hop group Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. They were together for 8 years before getting married on August 20, 1999. In his own words, Donnie spoke about their decision to get married “in case the world should come to an end.” Together, they are parents to two boys, Xavier Alexander Wahlberg (b. March 4, 1993) and Elijah Hendrix Wahlberg (b. August 20, 2001). Fey filed the divorce papers on August 13, 2008, a week before their 9th wedding anniversary, citing irreconcilable differences.
- Aubrey O’Day (2008) – Singer Aubrey O’Day (ex-member of Danity Kane) was seen enjoying a beach date with Donnie in the summer of 2008. However, Aubrey denied the possibility of a romantic relationship between the two. She has collaborated with Donnie on his single I Got It in 2010.
- Jenny McCarthy (2013-Present) – Donnie met actress and comedian Jenny McCarthy in March 2013 when he appeared on her talk show, The Jenny McCarthy Show on VH1 as a guest. Donnie asked her out on a date two weeks after they exchanged numbers at the end of their steamy interview. Their first sighting as a couple was in August 2013 at a fundraiser hosted by McCarthy to benefit her son Evan Joseph Asher’s school. In April 2014, Donnie proposed to his ladylove with a 10-carat yellow sapphire engagement ring, with little help from Evan. The couple tied the knot on August 31, 2014, at the historic Hotel Baker in St. Charles, Illinois. The bride and groom were decked in a custom corseted Di Santo gown and a black Reiss tuxedo respectively. McCarthy was walked down the aisle by her son Evan. Her former The View co-host, Sherri Shepherd, as well as members of his band NKOTB were among the wedding attendees. Donnie’s famous brother, Mark was conspicuous by his absence as he had plans to celebrate his daughter Ella’s birthday on the same day, but nevertheless wished the couple soon after. The newlyweds spent their honeymoon relaxing at the Glenmere Mansion in New York’s Hudson Valley. Post marriage, one of their annual traditions has been ringing in the New Year with a kiss at Dick Clark‘s New Year’s Rockin Eve in Times Square, which they have done since 2013. Additionally, McCarthy has revealed that she and Donnie renew their vows every year on their wedding anniversary.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish and Swedish (25%) ancestry on his father’s side. He is of English (6.25%), Scottish (3.125%), French-Canadian (6.25%), and Irish descent on his mother’s side.
- An elaborate tattoo on his left bicep and a heart-shaped tattoo on his wrist symbolizing his and Jenny’s initials
- Has a pierced nose and nipple
Donnie has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Coca-Cola (1990)
- McDonald’s (1990)
- Farmer’s Insurance
- Mountain Dew
Best Known For
- Being a member of the award-winning boy band New Kids on the Block (NKOTB) (1984-1994 and 2007-Present) which has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide
- His successful career as an actor in films like The Sixth Sense, Saw film series, and the drama series Boomtown and Blue Bloods
- With New Kids on the Block –
His band released their self-titled debut album in 1986 under Columbia Records. The album was declared 3x Platinum in the United States by the RIAA.
- With NKOTBSB (New Kids on the Block + Backstreet Boys) –
Their debut album NKOTBSB was released in 2011 which included 5 tracks from both the group, 2 new singles from the newly-formed collaboration and a mash-up song.
Donnie made his theatrical film debut as Big Balls in the crime drama Bullet in 1996 alongside Mickey Rourke and Tupac Shakur.
First TV Show
In 1989, Donnie made his TV show debut in the Fall ’89 episode of the MTV show House of Style as himself.
Donnie is in surprisingly good shape for his age. He credits his muscular physique to the rigorous schedules of touring with his band. According to him, he burns as many calories on stage as a boxer in a 12-round fight.
His typical diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – He eats his breakfast at 6:00 am after arriving on the set. His healthy meal consists of an egg-white burrito with vegetables, some fresh fruits, and a Starbucks black tea with milk and a low-calorie sweetener like Splenda.
- Lunch – Salad with grilled chicken, some olives and balsamic vinaigrette
- Dinner – At the end of the day, he likes to kick back by visiting the Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn. He indulges in a monster steak accompanied with sides like buttery potatoes, thick-cut bacon, and creamed spinach.
Donnie Wahlberg Favorite Things
- Movie – Scarface (1983)
- Exercise Routine – Performing on stage with New Kids on the Block
Donnie Wahlberg Facts
- Donnie’s parents got divorced in 1982 when he was a teenager. He and Mark were raised by their mother.
- His childhood crush was Willona Woods from the 70s sitcom Good Times. The role was played by actress Ja’net DuBois.
- At the age of 15, he successfully auditioned for a band, which was initially named Nynuk. However, on the insistence of the record label, the name was changed to New Kids on the Block, which was the title of a rap song written by Donnie for their first album.
- His brother Mark was a part of the initial line-up of the band in 1984. However, he left the group a year later to form his own band, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.
- Donnie’s first job was working in the foreign-exchange department of a bank.
- He has a condition known as Greek foot due to which his second toe is longer than his first toe.
- Donnie has a fear of flying on large airplanes but he loves smaller aircrafts.
- He lost 40 pounds to play the role of Vincent Grey in The Sixth Sense (1999).
- Wahlberg started a fire at the prestigious Seelbach Hotel, Kentucky in 1991 by spilling vodka on the hallway carpet and setting it on fire. He was charged with first-degree arson and was set to face 20 years of jail time. Eventually, he got off with a criminal misdemeanor charge (and no prison time) after he agreed to appear in public service videos on drunk driving, fire safety, and drug abuse.
- Donnie is a huge supporter of the Boston Celtics basketball team and is close friends with the Celtics forward Paul Pierce. He is often seen sitting courtside with his brother Mark during their matches.
- Following their disbanding in 1994, MTV tried to reunite the group in 1999 for a performance at that years VMA’s. All members agreed with the exception of Jonathan Knight, and so the project fell through. A similar attempt was made in 2003 for VH1’s Bands Reunited, but the other members barring Jonathan and Jordan (Joey, Donnie, and Danny) did not come on board. The band eventually reunited in 2007.
- On October 9, 2014, the multi-platinum selling band were awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Their star is present at 7072 Hollywood Boulevard.
- Fans of his band are collectively known as ‘Blockheads’.
- Donnie, Mark, and Paul partnered together to open a dining restaurant called the Wahlburgers in 2011. The burger joint, where Paul serves as a head chef, operates in more than 26 locations.
- Donnie set a Guinness World Record on 21st October 2016, when he took the most number of selfies in 3 minutes. The famous band member posed for 122 selfies with his fans aboard the New Kids on the Block cruise in Cozumel, Mexico.
- Donnie is the step-father of Evan Joseph Asher, Jenny’s son with ex-husband John Asher. Evan was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2.
- According to Donnie, he is the favorite son of his mother Alma.
- In July 2017, Donnie visited a waffle house in North Carolina and left a tip of $2000 on an $82.60 bill. Additionally, he also gifted a fan, two backstage passes to his band’s upcoming concert.
- In November 2020, he tipped a server named, Denise Andrews with $2020 on a bill of $35.27 when he dined at the Marshland restaurant in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- He is distantly related to singers Madonna and Celine Dion through the French-Canadian ancestry on his mother’s side.
- In April 2021, he lost his mother Alma Wahlberg who was 78 at that time. She was fighting an illness for some time.
Featured Image by Celebrityabc / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0