|Ekta Kapoor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 7, 1975|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Ekta Kapoor is an Indian film producer, TV producer, director, writer, singer, and actress, and fashion designer, best known as the managing director of the company Balaji Telefilms, created by her dad, Jeetendra, who was a prolific Indian actor. At 1st, Ekta fell in love with being a TV shows and soap opera producer, such as Mano Ya Na Mano (1995), Kanyadaan (1999), Koshish… Ek Aasha (2000-2002), Kesar (2002-2004), Kkusum (2001-2005), and Kavyanjali (2005-2006). Ekta was also a series producer for K. Street Pali Hill (2004-2006), Kahiin To Hoga (2003-2007), Kyunki… Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi… (2000-2008), Kasamh Se (2006-2008), Bandini (2009-2011), and Pavitra Rishta (2009-2014).
In the early 2010s, she was also a series producer for Kalash-Ek Vishwaas (2015-2017) and Yeh Hai Mohabbatein starting in 2013, as well as Kumkum Bhagya starting in 2014. Under the banner of Balaji Motion Pictures, she was also a film producer for more than 35 movies between 2001 and 2019. Ekta also started a video-on-demand platform and application named ALT Balaji, through which she has also created/directed/produced numerous web series between 2017 and 2019. Ekta also created her own fashion line under the name EK Label. She has also amassed a large social media fanbase with more than 3 million followers on Instagram and more than 600k followers on Facebook.
Ekta Ravi Kapoor
Content Czarina, Czarina of Television, The Queen of India Television
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Ekta attended Bombay Scottish School (BSS), an elite private school at Mahim, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. She then enrolled in Mithibai College in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
TV Producer, Film Producer, Director, Writer, Actress, Singer, Fashion Designer
- Father – Ravi “Jeetendra” Kapoor (Actor)
- Mother – Shobha Kapoor (Television And Film Producer, Actress)
- Siblings – Tusshar Kapoor (Younger Brother) (Actor, Producer)
- Others – Prasan Kapoor (Uncle) (Producer), Ramesh Sippy (Mumbai Distributor), Nitin Kapoor (Uncle) (Producer), Jaya Sudha (Aunt), Nim Sood (Aunt) (Costume Designer, Writer), V.K. Sobti (Uncle) (Director), Laxmi Sobti (Aunt) (Producer), Abhishek Kapoor (Cousin) (Actor, Director)
Ekta Kapoor is represented by Balaji Telefilms (Company) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ekta Kapoor has dated –
- Karan Johar (2007) – Ekta was reportedly linked with director Karan Johar in 2007 after he had made a statement that he would marry Ekta Kapoor if they both remained single in the future.
- Rizwan Bachav (2017) – She was spotted going out with Rizwan, an investment banker, and marathon runner, in mid-2017. While some media reported he was already her boyfriend, neither clarified what their connection was.
- In early 2018, Ekta was already contemplating whether she would have enough time and effort for a kid. She stated: “All of my friends who were married now aren’t. With the number of divorces I’ve seen recently, I think I’m more patient. I definitely know one thing, that I want a child but not marriage. I don’t have time for myself, and if I get a couple of hours, I would like to go to a spa.” Her dad really wanted her to get married at some point, and he even prayed for that to happen. His wish came true, at least partially, when Ekta followed in her younger brother’s footsteps, who got a kid through surrogacy in 2016 because he felt he was getting older and was not married. After she fell in love with being an aunt to her nephew Laksshya, on January 27, 2019, through surrogacy, her son Ravie Kapoor was born. An actress and TV presenter, Mona Singh, her close friend, also took on the role of a babysitter for Ekta. When he made an appearance on August 26, 2019, many people stated that Ravie was the “spitting image of his mom.”
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Indian descent.
She has also dyed her hair ‘Dark Brown’ in the past.
Ekta Kapoor has endorsed brands such as –
- EK Label
- Lake Riviera Residences (2018)
Best Known For
- Being a prolific director and producer, having launched more than numerous Indian soap operas and movies under Balaji Telefilms, a production company her dad created
- Creating a digital video-on-demand platform and app, ALTBalaji, through which she has launched numerous 40 web series
- Starting Institute of Creative Excellence, a media training school, in 2012
- Her social media fanbase with more than 3 million followers on Instagram, more than 600k followers on Facebook, and more than 300k followers on Twitter
As a Singer
Ekta Kapoor sang a song named Vande Mataram alongside Sonu Nigam, a playback singer, and composer, which was featured on the soundtrack for the action, thriller movie, Romeo Akbar Walter (2019).
Ekta Kapoor made her first feature film appearance as Capt. Anju Sinha Hood in the action, adventure, thriller film Tahalka in 1992.
First Web Show
Ekta Kapoor made her first TV show appearance as ‘Herself’ in an episode Ekta Kapoor of the talk-show series IMDb on the Scene – Interviews in June 2017.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance as ‘Herself’ in an episode of the comedy, talk-show series Koffee with Karan in January 2005.
Ekta Kapoor Facts
- She began her career as a producer at the age of 15. She was an intern with a feature filmmaker, Kailash Surendranath until her dad’s company financed her aspirations as a producer.
- In 2001, Asia Week magazine named her as one of “Asia’s Most Powerful Communicators”.
- Because her career was on the rise, and she had to attend a plethora of business functions, Ekta hired a friend who was a designer and stylist in December 2011. She said: “I want a slight change in my look. I plan to get my teeth done, along with redoing my hair and clothes.”
- When asked why she doesn’t accept to advertise brands on-screen, she admitted that she’s very shy on camera, and is always weighing her options.
- In 2012, Ekta landed a spot on the list of “25 Most Powerful Women in Indian Business”.
- Between 2010 and 2014, Ekta lost confidence after several of her movies she released flopped at the box office. Some of those were including Love S*x Aur Dhokha (2010), Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai (2010), and Shor in the City (2011). This led her to be reluctant to produce the movie Half Girlfriend (2017), which ended up being profitable.
- Ekta made a bold move in April 2015 when she added a ‘n*dity clause’ to the contracts of actors starring in one of her erotic movies. She wanted to have artistic freedom, and avoid actors backing out of n*de scenes and her having to make compromises.
- Between 2010 and 2019, Ekta received more than 20 awards, some of which were “Woman Achiever of the Year” (2018), “Grand Achiever of the Year” (2018), “Icon of Excellence” (2018), and “HT Most Stylish Film Maker of the Year” (2019).
- Ekta was named “Most Powerful Woman in Indian Business” by Business Today and “BW Most Influential Woman of India” by Businessworld, both in 2019.
- An unnamed man stalked her in March 2019.
- Her digital on-demand platform, ALT Balaji, reached a number of 20 million subscribers on August 9, 2019.
- The actress Ridhima Pandit praised her for being a “magnificent woman” in late August 2019. Ridhima played one of the lead roles in the superhero drama series named Haiwaan that Ekta created.
- Visit her company’s official websites @ balajitelefilms.com, altbalaji.com.
- Follow her on Facebook and Twitter.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / www.bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY-3.0