|GoldLink Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 17, 1993|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
GoldLink is an American rapper, best known for his debut studio album At What Cost, released on March 24, 2017, under RCA Records, which peaked at the 127th spot on the Billboard US 200 chart that year. The album saw feature appearances from artists such as Kaytranada, Mýa, Ciscero, Kokayi, Wale, Shy Glizzy, Steve Lacy, Jazmine Sullivan, Hare Squead, April George, Lil Dude, and Radiant Children. The lead single from his album, titled Crew, managed to hit the number 45 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and became his highest-charting single in the United States. This also earned GoldLink his 1st Grammy Award nomination for “Best Rap/Sung Performance” at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards in January 2018. His debut album was preceded by 2 mixtapes, with the 1st being The God Complex, which debuted July 22, 2014, under Squaaash Club label, but it wasn’t prominent initially.
His 2nd mixtape, And After That, We Didn’t Talk, released on November 8, 2015, under Soulection record label, managed to peak the number 21 on the US Billboard R&B / Hip Hop chart. In 2018, GoldLink was nominated for a BET Award for “Best New Artist” and iHeartRadio Music Award for “Best New Hip-Hop Artist”. On June 7, 2018, he was featured on the song Like I Do from the 8th studio album by the singer Christina Aguilera, titled Liberation. This earned him a 2nd Grammy Award nomination in the category of “Best Rap/Sung Performance.” As a result of his successful musical career, GoldLink has amassed a large fanbase, with more than 500k followers on Instagram, more than 100k followers on Facebook, more than 100k followers on Twitter, and over 4 million monthly listeners on his Spotify account.
Washington, D.C., United States
GoldLink attended, and later graduated from Hayfield Secondary School in Alexandria, Virginia, United States.
- Father – David (Parks And Recreation Worker)
- Mother – Unknown (Law Firm Secretary)
GoldLink is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Talent Agent) in the United States and Canada
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment (Talent Agent) in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Australia
- Equative Thinking Management (EQT) (Manager) in Los Angeles, California, United States, and New York City, New York, United States
Hip Hop, Alternative Hip Hop, Electronica, R&B
- RCA Records
- Squaaash Club
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
GoldLink has dated –
- Justine Skye (2019) – In January 2019, after the release of his single titled Justine’s Interlude, rumors sparked that GoldLink and singer Justine Skye were dating. In mid-January, just a few days after the release of the track, Justine posted a video of the two together and officially confirmed their relationship. The speculations began because Justine opened up about domestic abuse in her past relationships in an interview. GoldLink’s lyrics seemed to match the story, and the song heavily implicated an artist from Harlem, which matched a rapper, Sheck Wes. In February 2019, in a tweet, Justine confirmed it was Sheck who abused her, but he claimed he never hit or beat a woman in his life. The relationship fizzled out with time.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Short afro haircut
- Fuller Lips
Best Known For
- His debut studio album At What Cost (2017), and 2 notable mixtapes – The God Complex (2014), and And After That, We Didn’t Talk (2015)
- Collaborating with well know singers, musicians, and rappers such as Marsha Ambrosius, Shy Glizzy, Brent Faiyaz, April George, Jazmine Sullivan, Kaytranada, Miguel, Desiigner, Silk City, BMB Spacekid, Christian Rich, George Maple, Niia, Christina Aguilera, and others
GoldLink released his debut studio album entitled At What Cost on March 24, 2017, under the RCA Records label. It consisted of 14 tracks, out of which Crew, Meditation, Hands On Your Knees, Same Clothes As Yesterday, Roll Call, and Summatime were the most prominent. The album peaked at number 127 on Billboard US 200 chart, while the album’s lead single, Crew, peaked at number 45 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
First TV Show
GoldLink Favorite Things
- Sport – Soccer
- Soccer Club – D.C. United
- Soccer Player – Wayne Rooney
- He moved from Washington, D.C., to Bowie, Maryland in his youth with his mother, after his parents separated.
- He initially performed under his birth name, D’Anthony Carlos.
- Music was a hobby for GoldLink in the beginning, and he started by recording tracks in a studio named Indie Media Lab in Falls Church, Virginia.
- When he was 19, GoldLink took part in a community program titled The Movement in Northern Virginia, which encouraged young people to act on their creativity.
- In an early career interview, he stated that he doesn’t want to be the “next Malcolm X” or any well-known African-American person.
- GoldLink claimed that he always strived to be his own God, and as God-like as possible, which meant he acknowledged he was far from perfect, but tried his best anyway.
- He is a huge fan of go-go nightclubs from an early age. He went to his 1st nightclub, named Stadium, at the 6th grade in the early 2000s.
- His family and close friends call him “D”.
- He once bought a large motorcycle mid-tour. Because he had problems storing it on the tour bus, he had to buy an electric skateboard as a replacement.
- He took the stage name GoldLink in 2013 after he created a SoundCloud page and released a few free tracks to a limited audience.
- GoldLink began working with Rick Rubin, a well-known music producer in 2015. Shortly after, in November of that year, he released his 2nd mixtape, And After That, We Didn’t Talk.
- GoldLink called his type of music “future bounce,“, as it featured a combination of house, R&B, club music, and a futuristic sound that he invented himself.
- A well-known American hip hop magazine, XXL, named him one of the “2015 Freshman Class.”
- His earliest memory of hip hop music is Andre 3000‘s track Hey Ya, released in 2003.
- GoldLink said that for him, the best way to listen to music was with the best speakers possible, but also completely alone or with no one talking.
- While he admitted luck, timing, and the right opportunity were responsible for his success after releasing music on SoundCloud, he also said that if the music wasn’t good, the interest would quickly wear off.
- He appeared at the Red Bull Sound Select Presents: 3 Days in Miami event on February 23, 2017. GoldLink performed alongside artists like Angel Olsen, Brika, Kelela, Charlotte Day Wilson, and Bernice.
- The single Crew from his debut studio album At What Cost (2017) reached a 3-times certified ‘Platinum’ status by the RIAA on February 6, 2019, which meant he sold more than 3 million copies.
Featured Image by GoldLink / Instagram