|Jack Lew Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||August 29, 1955|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Jack Lew is an American attorney and politician who is a member of the Democratic Party and served as the 25th White House chief of staff from 2012 to 2013, as the 76th United States Secretary of the Treasury from 2013 to 2017, and as director of the Office of Management and Budget in both the Bill Clinton administration and Barack Obama administration.
Jacob Joseph Lew
New York City, New York, United States
Riverdale, Bronx, New York City, New York, United States
Jack Lew studied at New York City public schools and eventually graduated from Forest Hills High School (FHHS), a high school located in Forest Hills, Queens, New York City. He then went on to attend Carleton College, a private liberal arts college in Northfield, Minnesota, for a year.
After that, he enrolled at Harvard College (the undergraduate college of Harvard University) and graduated with a bachelor of arts in 1978. He later attended Georgetown University Law Center and earned a juris doctor in 1983.
- Father – Irving Lew (Lawyer and rare book dealer)
- Mother – Ruth (née Turoff)
- Others – Yankel/Jacob Lew (Paternal Grandfather), Riwke/Rebecca Newinsky (Paternal Grandmother), Yossel/Jacob Joseph Turewski (Maternal Grandfather)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jack Lew has dated –
- Ruth Schwartz – He got married to his high school sweetheart Ruth Schwartz and the duo has been blessed with 2 children – a daughter named Shoshana Lew (b. 1983) (has served as the executive director of the Colorado Department of Transportation) and a son named Danny Lew.
Race / Ethnicity
Jack Lew is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
Salt and Pepper
He was raised in a Jewish household and observes the Jewish Shabbat. He has attended Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac, Maryland; TheShul of the Nation’s Capital and Kesher Israel Congregation in Washington, D. C.; and the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale in the Bronx, New York.
Jack Lew Facts
- During his time at Carleton College, his faculty adviser was Paul Wellstone (who eventually represented Minnesota in the U.S. Senate).
- Jack Lew served as Special Assistant to the President under Bill Clinton from February 1993 to 1994 and was responsible for policy development as well as the drafting of the national service initiative (AmeriCorps) and health care reform legislation.
- From 2004 to 2008, he served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Corporation for National and Community Service, a position he was appointed to by President George W. Bush.
- Sandy Berger, his former boss on the National Security Council, stated in an interview in 2010 that “Lew’s faith never got in the way of performing his duties”. It was also noted in a 2011 press release from the Religion News Service that Lew also “has extensive connections in the American Jewish community”, a factor that might help President Obama “build a more friendly rapport” with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- He received an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Georgetown University in May 2014.
- Jack Lew has also served as the Executive Vice President for Operations at New York University and as a Clinical Professor of Public Administration at NYU’s Wagner School of Public Service.
- He was nominated to be the US Ambassador to Israel by President Joe Biden on September 5, 2023.
Featured Image by United States Treasury Department / Department of the Treasury / Public Domain