|James Matthews Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||August 21, 1975|
James Matthews is a British hedge fund manager and former professional racing driver who is the co-founder and chief executive of Eden Rock Capital Management, a firm whose success had made James, by 2017, a near billionaire. In the mid-1990s, he had a brief but highly successful career as a racing car driver. He won a then-record 11 rounds to clinch the British Formula Renault Championship (one of the 2 Formula Renault championships that were held in the United Kingdom at that time) title in 1994. The same year, he won the Eurocup Formula Renault. James is also the heir to the Scottish feudal title of ‘Laird (the owner of a large, long-established Scottish estate) of Glen Affric’ (a glen (a valley that is typically long and bounded by gently sloped concave sides) south-west of the village of Cannich in the Scottish Highlands). In 2007, he was made the solitary managing director of Beaufort Glen Affric Ltd., the company that manages the aforementioned estate. Until his father’s death, he can use, if he chooses to, the title, ‘James Matthews of Glen Affric, the Younger’.
James Spencer Matthews
London, England, United Kingdom
James attended Uppingham School, an independent public day and boarding school for pupils aged 13-18, located in Uppingham, Rutland, England. He skipped higher education to train as a securities trader.
Hedge Fund Manager, Professional Racing Driver (Retired)
- Father – David Matthews (Landowner, Entrepreneur, Former Car Dealer, Laird of the Scottish estate of Glen Affric, Owner of Eden Rock, St. Barths, a Luxury Resort in Saint Barthélemy, an overseas collectivity of France in the Caribbean)
- Mother – Jane Matthews (née Spencer Parker) (Artist)
- Siblings – Michael Matthews (Younger Brother) (d. May 1999), Spencer George Matthews (Younger Brother) (Entrepreneur, TV Personality)
- Others – Vogue Williams (Sister-in-Law) (Model, Media Personality), Theodore Frederick Michael Matthews (Nephew), Gigi Margaux Matthews (Niece), Otto James Matthews (Nephew), Nina Mackie (née Matthews) (Older Half-Sister), Adam Mackie (Half-Brother-in-Law), Tristan Mackie (Half-Nephew), Lily Mackie (Half-Niece), Rosa Mackie (Half-Niece), Yasmina Mackie (Half-Niece), Wallace Matthews (Paternal Grandfather) (Mechanic, Former Worker in the Coal Industry), Eunice Matthews (Paternal Grandmother), Robert Spencer ‘Spenny’ Parker (Maternal Grandfather) (Architect), Carole Middleton (née Goldsmith) (Mother-in-Law) (Businesswoman, Former Secretary, Former Flight Attendant and Member of the Ground Staff at British Airways), Ronald John James Goldsmith (Grandfather-in-Law) (d. September 2003), Dorothy Goldsmith (née Harrison) (Grandmother-in-Law) (d. July 2006), Gary Goldsmith (Uncle-in-Law) (Businessman), Tallulah Goldsmith (Cousin-in-Law), Michael Francis Middleton (Father-in-Law) (Businessman, Former Flight Dispatcher at British Airways), Peter Francis Middleton (Grandfather-in-Law) (RAF (Royal Air Force) Fighter Pilot during the Second World War) (d. 2010), Valerie Middleton (née Glassborow) (Grandmother-in-Law) (Voluntary Nurse and Code-Breaker during the Second World War) (d. September 2006), Nicholas Middleton (Uncle-in-Law), Simon Middleton (Uncle-in-Law), Richard Middleton (Uncle-in-Law), Adam Middleton (Cousin-in-Law), Lucy Middleton (Cousin-in-Law) (Lawyer), James William Middleton (Brother-in-Law) (Entrepreneur), Catherine ‘Kate’ Middleton (Sister-in-Law) (Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cambridge, Former Catalog Photographer, Former Web Designer, Former Marketing Officer), William Arthur Philip Louis (Co-Brother-in-Law) (Prince of Wales, Duke of Cambridge, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Heir Apparent to the British Throne, RAF Pilot, Environment Activist), George Alexander Louis (Nephew-in-Law) (Prince of Wales, Second in Line to the British Throne), Charlotte Elizabeth Diana (Niece-in-Law) (Princess of Wales, Third in Line to the British Throne), Louis Arthur Charles (Nephew-in-Law) (Prince of Wales, Fourth in Line to the British Throne)
Formula Renault Teams
James has raced for –
- Manor Motorsport (1994) (British Formula Renault Championship)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
77 kg or 169.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James has dated –
- Pippa Middleton (2012; 2015-Present) – James began dating English socialite, author, and columnist Pippa Middleton (b. Philippa Charlotte Middleton) in September 2015, and the couple got engaged in July 2016. They got married on May 20, 2017, in a ceremony held at St. Mark’s Church, at Englefield Estate, Berkshire, near Bucklebury Manor, the Middleton family home. They have 3 children together – a son named Arthur Michael William Matthews (b. October 15, 2018) and 2 daughters named Grace Elizabeth Jane Matthews (March 15, 2021) and Rose Matthews (b. June 2022). James and Pippa were previously linked to each other for a short while in 2012 before reconciling in September 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Toned physique
- Slightly overgrown, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a thin beard
James Matthews Facts
- James, in the early-1990s, had decided to forego higher education to train as a securities trader at Spear, Leeds & Kellogg, an organization that later became a part of Goldman Sachs, an American multinational investment bank and financial services company.
- He became a City of London trader in 1995. In 1997, he joined a finance house called Nordic Options Ltd. where he became a senior equity options trader.
- In 2001, he co-founded Eden Rock Capital Management, a firm that was named after his father’s luxury resort – Eden Rock, St. Barths. By 2007, the firm was reportedly managing more than £1 billion in assets.
- In 1999, his younger brother Michael was killed in a mountaineering accident on Mount Everest, just hours after becoming the youngest Briton to have scaled its peak.
Featured Image by James Matthews / Instagram