|Laverne Cox Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 29, 1984|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Laverne Cox is an American actress, reality TV star, producer, and LGBTQ+ advocate who gained prominence by playing Sophia Burset on the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black and then becoming the first openly transgender person to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in any acting category. She is also known for having been cast in shows and movies such as Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens, Doubt, The Mindy Project, A Black Lady Sketch Show, Law & Order, Promising Young Woman, Can You Keep a Secret?, Charlie’s Angels, The Kings of Brooklyn, Freak Show, Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen, I Want to Work for Diddy, The Exhibitionists, and others.
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Laverne Cox graduated from Alabama School of Fine Arts in Birmingham, Alabama, and studied creative writing and later dance.
The actress also studied at the Indiana University Bloomington for two years and then attended acting classes at the Marymount Manhattan College in New York City.
Actress, Reality Television Star, Television Producer, Activist
- Mother – Gloria Cox (Writer)
- Siblings – M Lamar (Twin Brother) (Musician & Artist)
She has been signed with –
- Hartig Hilepo Agency Ltd.
- PH Entertainment Group, Talent Agency, Long Island City, New York, United States
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
76 kg or 167½ lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Laverne Cox has revealed that she was dating a man for eight years, but she did not name him. She said that the man, in mid-2015, got engaged to someone else. She then dated –
- Kyle Draper (2017-2019) – The actress started dating Kyle Draper, the CEO of the record label Mateo Sound in the summer of 2017 but called it quits after almost 2 years.
- In February 2021, during an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Laverne revealed that she had started dating someone in 2020. However, she didn’t disclose the name of her boyfriend. Her boyfriend is 20 years younger than her and they reportedly met on the dating app, Hinge.
Race / Ethnicity
She has naturally ‘Dark Brown’ hair but she dyes them blonde.
Laverne transformed herself into a woman. She likes men.
- Sense of Humor
- Big lips
- Modest personality
36-29-35 in or 91.5-74-89 cm
Check this picture of her footwear, which she shared on Instagram in May 2014.
She does not believe in any particular religion but believes just in God.
Best Known For
Laverne Cox is best known for her much-talked Netflix television series Orange Is The New Black (2013-Present), in which she portrays the character of Sophia Burset.
The talented actress is also famous for being a contestant on season one of VH1’s series I Want to Work for Diddy (2008) and being the co-host of another TV series from the same network called TRANSform Me (2010). Some of her other appreciated works include Law and Order: SVU (1999-Present), Bored to Death (2009-2011), and Musical Chairs (2012).
She debuted in the movies in 2000 in the short film Betty Anderson, playing the character of Deirdre.
First TV Show
Her first stint with television was in 2008. She appeared in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Candace in the episode titled “Closet.”
The transgender woman has an hourglass figure. She says that as she does not get too much time for working out, she prefers staying in shape with the help of cardio exercises.
Laverne Cox Favorite Things
- Personality – Beyonce
- Pastime – Dancing, and karaoke singing
Laverne Cox Facts
- Laverne was among Out Magazine’s 100 most influential transgender, gay, lesbian, or bisexual people in 2013.
- She created history by becoming the first openly transgender person to be on the cover of Time Magazine on June 9, 2014. Katy Steinmetz interviewed Cox for the cover story titled “The Transgender Tipping Point.”
- Even after Laverne started working on her famous series Orange Is the New Black, she continued working as a drag queen in a restaurant.
- She has worked in New York City restaurants for 19 years.
- The actress was on the cover of the October 2014 issue of Essence Magazine. The other actresses who shared the cover with her were Alfre Woodard, Nicole Beharie, and Danai Gurira.
- She also created history by becoming the first openly transgender person to receive an Emmy nomination. She was nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her commendable performance in Orange Is the New Black during the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards.
- The star uses she/her pronouns.
- GLAAD honored her with the Stephen F Kolzak Award in April 2014 for being an open supporter of the transgender community.
- The character of Cameron Wirth that she played in the TV movie Doubt (2015) was made keeping in mind a transgender actress.
- A documentary titled Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word, for which the actress was an executive producer and narrator, was premiered in October 2014 on MTV and Logo at the same time.
- In 2015, Cox became the first transgender woman to pose nude for a magazine after she posed in Allure.
- The phenomenal woman was a special invitee at the TIME and PEOPLE’s annual cocktail party on White House Correspondents’ Weekend at St Regis Hotel in Washington, D.C., on April 24, 2015.
- She is among the OUT Power 50 List of 2015 and has also made it to People Magazine’s World’s Most Beautiful Women list in the same year. She was also among the 100 Most Influential people of TIME Magazine in 2015. Laverne has made it to the list of 31 Icons of LGBT History Month by Equality Forum.
- A San Francisco based ice-cream store called Three Twins named their chocolate orange confetti ice cream after the actress as Laverne Cox’s Chocolate Orange Is the New Black at Pride weekend.
- She also made it to the cover of the June 2015 issue of Entertainment Weekly titled ‘totally not-straight.’ This was the magazine’s first issue that focused on gay, lesbian, and transgender entertainment.
- Laverne inaugurated her Madame Tussauds wax statue on June 26, 2015, and became the first openly transgender person to be featured in the museum.
- Alongside Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Clancy Brown, Jennifer Coolidge, and Connie Britton, she co-starred as Gail in the dark comedy thriller filmPromising Young Woman, in 2020.
- In November 2020, Laverne and one of her friends were targeted in a transphobic attack when a man came up to her friend and asked her “Guy or girl?”. He even started hitting her friend. Fortunately, they weren’t physically injured.
- In May 2021, during an appearance at Paley Center’s Pride Month programming, Laverne revealed that before landing her role in Orange is the New Black, she had planned to quit acting.
- In February 2022, during an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Laverne revealed that she used to lie about her age in the past.
- Growing up, she used to eat 2 Eggo waffles coated heavily with margarine. She would microwave the dish for 90 seconds and top it with maple syrup before eating.
- In 1997, she stood second in the Miss Ice Beauty pageant held in Pyramid Club in New York City.
- In 1999, for nearly 6 months, she was a backup dancer for Kevin Aviance.
- She has smoked just 1 cigarette in her life. She didn’t like the taste.
- She has never smoked weed.
- Before her sophomore year of high school, she has performed in the Gershwin revue.
- Laverne used to work at costume designer Patricia Field’s legendary store House of Field which was on Eighth Street in NYC.
- Once during the road test, she had hit a fig tree. Hence, she failed the test.
- Until the summer of 2020, she didn’t have a driver’s license.
- Because he is transgender, she was denied entry to a New York City hospital. She decided to sue that hospital and won the case. Hence, the hospital changed its policy.
- When in eighth grade, she was the vice president of the student council.
- In 8th grade, she was also a public-speaking champion.
- She claims that she has seen each episode of Fixer Upper and Property Brothers.
- In the ’90s in NYC, she badly sang the operatic versions of heavy metal songs at a queer rock party, SqueezeBox.
- In 1994, she was involved in a car accident. She was sitting as a passenger in a taxicab and broke her nose and one of her teeth was also dislocated and hit the gum.
- In 2009, she was denied entry to a club on Miami beach (because of her gender) during her very first visit to the beach.
- In college, she had a fake ID so that she could go to a karaoke bar.
- She once lived in so small apartment in NYC that she could touch both parallel walls by stretching her arms.
- Cox can eat 6 Krispy Kreme doughnuts in sequence.
- She doesn’t want to own a pet in her entire life.