|Rana Daggubati Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||December 14, 1984|
Rana Daggubati is an Indian actor, visual-effects supervisor, television presenter, producer, and entrepreneur known for his versatile body of work in Telugu, Tamil, and Hindi cinema. Although his career started in 2010, he became a household name after portraying the antagonist Bhallaladeva in Baahubali: The Beginning (2015) and its sequel Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017). Coming from a family of film producers, Rana has inherited their savvy business acumen and launched his own talent management company in 2017. He is also a visual-effects buff and had worked as a coordinator for 7 years before becoming an actor. The hugely-popular star has more than 3 million followers on Instagram and more than 6 million followers on Twitter.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Film Nagar, Hyderabad, India
Rana studied at the Hyderabad Public School in Telangana and Chettinad Vidyashram in Chennai. However, he did not attend college.
He studied acting at the Barry John Acting Studio in Mumbai.
Actor, Film Producer, Visual Effects Supervisor, Entrepreneur, Television Presenter
- Father – Daggubati Suresh Babu (Film Producer, Owner of Suresh Productions)
- Mother – Lakshmi Daggubati
- Siblings – Abhiram Daggubati (Younger Brother), Malavika Devi Daggubati (Younger Sister)
- Others – D. Ramanaidu (Paternal Grandfather) (Film Producer, Founder of Suresh Productions), Rajeswari Daggubati (Paternal Grandmother), Lakshmi Daggubati (Paternal Aunt), Sharath Vijayaraghavan (Paternal Uncle) (Husband of Lakshmi), Nagarjuna Akkineni (Paternal Uncle) (Ex-husband of Lakshmi) (Actor), Naga Chaitanya Akkineni (Younger Cousin Brother) (Son of Lakshmi and Nagarjuna) (Actor), Samantha Akkineni (Sister-in-law) (Wife of Naga Chaitanya) (Actress), Venkatesh Daggubati (Paternal Uncle) (Actor), Neeraja Daggubati (Paternal Aunt) (Wife of Venkatesh), Aashritha Daggubati (Younger Cousin Sister) (Daughter of Venkatesh) (Professional Baker), Vinayak Reddy (Brother-in-law) (Husband of Aashritha), Bhavana Daggubati (Younger Cousin Sister) (Daughter of Venkatesh), Hayavahini Daggubati (Younger Cousin Sister) (Daughter of Venkatesh), Arjun Daggubati (Younger Cousin Brother) (Son of Venkatesh)
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
94 kg or 207 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rana has dated –
- Trisha Krishnan – For years, actress Trisha Krishnan and Rana were rumored to be secretly dating. However, both the parties maintained that they were just good friends. Years later in 2018, Rana cleared the air on Koffee With Karan stating that in their decade-long friendship, the two had a brief romance but it didn’t work out in the long run.
- Bipasha Basu (2011) – Rana’s name got linked to his co-star Bipasha Basu, who he was paired opposite to in the 2011 film Dum Maaro Dum. Media speculations were rife that the two actors fell in love while shooting the film. They were also seen celebrating New Year’s Eve together in Goa the following year. However, Rana insisted that they were singled out because of their celebrity status and that Bipasha is one of his closest friends but there is no romance brewing between the two. When he got injured while shooting Krishnam Vande Jagatgurum in 2012, Bipasha wished him a speedy recovery and their friendly Twitter exchange further added fuel to the romance rumors. But, Rana has consistently maintained that the two have never dated.
- Shriya Saran (2016) – Every time Rana gets photographed with his beautiful co-stars, the rumor mills go into overdrive. Another South Indian actress Shriya Saran became his latest alleged girlfriend after they were seen having lunch together in Delhi in November 2016. When contacted, Saran was quick to clarify that both were there to support their common friend Dia Mehta Bhupal’s photography exhibition and were accompanied by a group of friends.
- Rakul Preet Singh (2018) – Since the start of 2018, the rumors of Rana dating actress Rakul Preet Singh began doing the rounds. They were spotted hanging out together on several occasions and like other times, they both claimed to just be close friends. Rakul later added that they see each other more often as they both share the same circle of friends and are also neighbors in Hyderabad.
- Miheeka Bajaj (2020-Present) – In May 2020, Rana got engaged to his girlfriend Miheeka Bajaj, who is the founder of Dew Drop Design Studio, at Ramanaidu Studios. They got married on August 8, 2020, at the same place.
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep, low-pitched voice
- Towering height and muscular physique
- He can only see through his left eye
- Pierced Ears
Rana has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Junglee Rummy
- Reliance Trends
- Aristocrat Premium
- Provoke Lifestyle
- Pro Kabaddi League (Season 3) (2016)
- ACK Alive (Learning center in Hyderabad)
- Ubon (2020)
- CEAT (2021)
- Telugu Titans from the Pro Kabaddi League
Rana was also signed as the brand ambassador and promoter of the sports channel, Sony Ten 4 (part of Sony Pictures Networks India) in June 2021.
Best Known For
- His larger-than-life portrayal of Bhallaladeva in director S. S. Rajamouli‘s epic drama Baahubali and its sequel for which he went through a drastic physical transformation
- Being one of the few leading actors from South Indian cinema to successfully cross over into Bollywood
In 2010, Rana made his theatrical film debut in the Telugu political drama, Leader as businessman-turned-politician Arjun Prasad.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as a guest on the Telugu talk-show Prematho Mee Lakshmi in 2011. The show was hosted by prominent Telugu actress Lakshmi Manchu.
Rana’s physical transformation for the role of Bhallaladeva in the Baahubali series became the talk of the town and set a new benchmark for an actor’s commitment to his role. To achieve the leaner and muscular build for the first film, he trained religiously with celebrity fitness trainer Kunal Gir and reached an approximate weight of 92-93 kgs for the role.
But, it was for the concluding part of the film, that Rana kicked it up a notch and beefed up like never before. Weighing about 108 to 110 kgs, his Hulk-like physique was achieved with a highly-supervised and regimented diet and workout plan. The hard-working actor trained for 5 months straight, dedicating two and a half hours daily for muscle building through cardio, martial arts, and weight training exercises. Along with exercise, his diet was also closely monitored and he would eat once every two and a half hours. He followed a diet rich in carbohydrates and proteins and gave up oil altogether.
His regimented diet plan was as follows –
- Breakfast – A carbohydrate-rich diet of oatmeal with nuts, or brown bread with egg whites and veggies
- Mid-morning snack – Usually protein shake with some kind of fruit
- Lunch – Fish and a lot of green vegetables
- Dinner – For his post-exercise meal, he relied on salads, which are loaded in proteins to help restore his damaged tissues from a strenuous workout.
Rana Daggubati Favorite Things
- Cuisine – Hyderabadi
- Kabaddi Player – Rahul Chaudhari
- Film Of His Uncle Venkatesh – Bobbili Raja (1990)
- Film Hero – Kamal Haasan
- Co-Star – Prabhas
- Quote – Get sh*t done
- Superhero Character – Hanuman
- Film – A Wednesday! (2008)
- Actor In Kannada – Puneeth Rajkumar
- Dish – Haleem (a type of stew made with wheat, barley, lentils, and meat)
- Music Band – Metallica
- Music Director – A. R. Rahman
- Game – Cricket
- Director – George Lucas
Rana Daggubati Facts
- He is also a visual effects producer and has received a Nandi Award for “Best Special Effects” for his work on the Telugu film Sainikudu in 2006.
- As a producer, his film Bommalata – A Belly Full of Dreams received the National Film Award for “Best Feature Film” in 2006.
- Rana has also been successful on the small screen as the host of the talk show McDowell’s No.1 Yaari with Rana since 2017. Several celebrities from Telugu cinema like Vijay Deverakonda, Kajal Aggarwal, Naga Chaitanya, Rakul Preet Singh, Tamannaah, and many more have featured as his guests.
- During an interview on the show Memu Saitham in 2016, his fans were shocked to learn that Rana couldn’t see with his right eye and his functional left eye was a transplanted one. As a result of corneal defect at birth, the actor underwent eye surgery at the L. V. Prasad Hospital in Hyderabad. He further added that he was operated on his right eye at the age of 14 but the surgery was unsuccessful.
- According to the format of the same show Memu Saitham, each week a celebrity helps out a financially-struggling family by taking up a menial job and collecting donations on their behalf. During Rana’s appearance, the actor worked at a vegetable market as a coolie and also made a generous contribution from his end to help out a poor lady’s family who was blind in one eye.
- He was the voice of Thanos in the Telugu dubbed version of the highly-anticipated superhero flick Avengers: Infinity War (2018).
- Rana has been close friends with another Telugu sensation Ram Charan since they both attended the same school in Chennai.
- In 2017, he launched his own talent management company KWAN in a bid to streamline the working system in the South Indian film industry and make it more professional with a global outreach.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0