|Ritu Kumar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 11, 1944|
Ritu Kumar is an Indian fashion designer who is considered to be one of India’s foremost designers for the designs that she comes with through her use of natural fabrics, traditional printing, weaving techniques, and along with a blend of the western elements. She has a huge fan base with more than 550k followers on Instagram and more than 700k followers on Facebook.
Amritsar, Punjab, India
Ritu studied at the Loreto Convent School, Tara Hall in Shimla. Thereafter, she joined Lady Irwin College.
Later, Ritu enrolled at the Briarcliff College in New York to study Art History.
After having completed her studies at Briarcliff College, she joined the Asutosh Museum of Indian Art where she studied museology.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ritu’s name has been linked with –
- Shashi Kumar – She and her husband met one another while she studied at Lady Irwin College in New Delhi. They have 2 children named, Ashvin Kumar (b. 1973) and Amrish Kumar. Her son Ashvin, is an Oscar-nominated director.
Race / Ethnicity
- Wide smile
- Snub nose
- Oval face shape
Ritu Kumar Favorite Things
- Book – The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple
Source – YouTube
Ritu Kumar Facts
- She spent her early years Amritsar before moving to Shimla as a result of a lack of educational opportunities.
- Ritu started following her passion and at the same time began her business with 2 small tables a hand-block printing technique.
- She started designing her bridal wear in 1960 and evening clothing in 1970. Thereafter, she earned international fame within the next 2 decades and opened up retail stores in places like Paris, London, and New York.
- Her business turnover in the year 1999 was estimated to have been worth INR 10 billion. It was one of the highest-grossing Indian fashion companies at the time. The same year, her outlet in London also shutdown.
- She and her son Amrish launched the line “Label” in the year 2002.
- The Government of India privileged her with a “Padma Shri” award in 2013.
- She has designed apparel for various distinguished celebrities like Princess Diana, Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta, Deepika Padukone, Madhuri Dixit Nene, Madhur Jaffrey, Kalki Koechlin, Dia Mirza, Soha Ali Khan, and Jemima Goldsmith.
- In the year 2006, Ritu published her book “Costumes and Textiles of Royal India.”
- Ritu is an avid reader who also has a mini library of her own at her place.
- She is obsessed with gardening and also has a shelf full of books based on gardening.
- Ritu Kumar considers actress Kareena Kapoor Khan to be the perfect muse for her.
- Besides her clothing line, she also has an eponymous line of handbags.
Featured Image By Ritu Kumar / Instagram