|Sam Heughan Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||April 30, 1980|
Sam Heughan is a Scottish actor, voiceover artist, producer, author, and entrepreneur who is best known for having been cast as Jamie Fraser in Outlander, a historical drama television series based on the novel series of the same name by Diana Gabaldon. For this role, he received various accolades including the 2015 EWwy Award for “Best Actor in a Drama Series”, the 2017 People’s Choice Award for “Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor”, and the 2019 Saturn Award for “Best Actor on a Television Series”. Moreover, he has also been cast in projects like Doctors, River City, Island at War, A Princess for Christmas, To Olivia, The Spy Who Dumped Me, The Adventure Show, and Midsomer Murders.
Sam Roland Heughan
Balmaclellan, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
Heughan first joined Kells Primary School. At the age of 12, he shifted to James Gillespie’s High School where he stayed for only a year when he decided to make a transfer to Edinburgh Rudolph Steiner School.
Upon his high school graduation, Sam continued his education at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama from where he got a diploma in 2003.
In June 2019, he received his honorary doctorate from the University of Stirling “in recognition for his outstanding contribution to acting and charitable endeavors” while the following month, the University of Glasgow honored him with his second honorary doctorate in recognition of his artistic success and his charitable work.
Actor, Voiceover Artist, Producer, Author, Entrepreneur
- Mother – Chrissie Heughan (Artist, Artisan Papermaker)
- Siblings – Cirdan Heughan (Brother)
Sam has been signed with –
- United Agents Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sam Heughan has dated –
- Amy Shiels (2013, 2018-Present) – In 2013, a RUMOR linked Sam Heughan and the actress, Amy Shiels. In 2018, again the rumors of their dating started surfacing the internet.
- Abbie Salt (2014) – Sam was RUMORed to be dating actress Abbie Salt in 2014.
- Cody Kennedy (2014) – In 2014, Heughan had a fling with American actress Cody Kennedy.
- Caitriona Balfe (2014) – It was RUMORed that he hooked up with Irish actress, producer, and former fashion model Caitriona Balfe in the year 2014.
- Mackenzie Mauzy (2017-2018) – In 2017, Sam and actress Mackenzie Mauzy started dating. They were seen together in 2018 also during some of the red carpet appearances. But, gradually, their relationship fizzled out. Though, there was no official news about their separation.
Race / Ethnicity
Sam Heughan is of Scottish descent.
He sometimes dyes his hair into different shades such as ginger, etc.
- Long and wavy hairstyle
- Blonde hair color
- Short beard
Anglican / Episcopalian
Best Known For
His role as Jamie Fraser in the TV series Outlander
Sam first acted in the short movie Small Moments in 2001.
However, he played his first featured role in the film Young Alexander the Great (2010) as Alexander.
First TV Show
In 2004, Sam performed in the ITV series Island at War as Philip Dorr. He appeared in a total of 5 episodes.
First Theatre Show
In 2002, Sam acted as John in the theatrical show Outlying Islands. The act took place in the Royal Court Theatre Upstairs in London.
Sam Heughan Favorite Things
- Location to film in Scotland – Kinloch Rannoch (Village in Scotland), Loch Rannoch (Lake Rannoch), Mountain Schiehallion
Source – Travel and Leisure
Sam Heughan Facts
- When he was 5, Heughan’s family shifted to New Galloway.
- He moved to Edinburgh at the age of 12.
- Before Sam joined the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, he spent two years traveling and working.
- He co-starred as Prince Ashton, the prince of Castlebury and son of Edward, in the 2011 made-for-television comedy-drama film, A Princess for Christmas, and this performance got him nominated for the 2011 Grace Award for “Most Inspiring Performance in Television”.
- In 2016, Sam became Barbour’s Global Brand Ambassador.
- He loves science fiction movies such as Alien (1979) and TV series such as Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999).
- In August 2014, Heughan became a philanthropist for YTAS (Youth Theatre Arts Scotland).
- In 2015, for his acts in the TV series Outlander, Sam received the Gold Derby TV Award for “Drama Lead Actor” in the year 2015.
- He provided vocals to the character of Mirror Master in the video game Lego DC Super-Villains in 2018.
- In December 2020, he was announced as the winner of the “Sexiest Celebrity of 2020” poll that was conducted by Just Jared.
- He launched his own whisky brand The Sassenach in 2020.
- In November 2020, he released a book co-written by him and actor Graham McTavish, titled ‘Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other‘.
- In February 2021, during an interview on The Kelly Clarkson Show, he revealed that his parents named him “Sam” after the character Samwise Gamgee in the J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings series.