|Sandra Oh Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||July 20, 1971|
|Boyfriend||Lever Rukhin aka Lev|
Sandra Oh is a Canadian actress who persevered for over 2 decades to successfully break several stereotypical barriers in the American television industry. In 2019, she became the first actress of Asian descent to host the 76th Golden Globe Awards. At the same event, she also won the award for Best Performance by an Actress for her role as Eve Polastri. Sandra has shared that when she read the script for the critically acclaimed series, Killing Eve, she was so conditioned for getting cast in supporting roles that she could not even think of bagging the lead role.
Sandra Miju Oh
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
The actress studied in Knoxdale Public School followed by Sir Robert Borden High School in Nepean, Ontario. Sandra started studying dance at the age of 4 to correct her pigeon-toed stance and was a member of Nepean’s Les Petits Ballets program till her teens.
Determined to become an actress, Sandra paid for her training at the National Theatre School of Canada in Montreal against her parent’s advice rejecting a 4-year journalism scholarship to Carleton University. She also regularly hones her acting skills with acting coach Kim Gillingham at her studio called Creative Dream Work.
- Father – Oh Junsu (John) (Businessman)
- Mother – Oh Young-nam aka Jeon Young-nam (Biochemist)
- Siblings – Grace (Older Sister) (Prosecutor /Lawyer), Ray (Younger Brother) (Ph.D. in Medical Genetics)
She is managed by –
- United Talent Agency (UTA)
- Principal Entertainment
- Imprint PR (Publicist)
- Hansen Jacobson (Attorney)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Alexander Payne (2000-2006) – Sandra married American director and screenwriter, Alexander Payne, in January 2003 after dating him for nearly 3 years. He directed her in the comedy-drama, Sideways (2004). In March 2005, the couple separated. They took more than a year to settle their finances before finalizing the divorce in December 2006.
- Andrew Featherston – For about a year between 2007 and 2008, the paparazzi clicked pictures of the actress with her musician boyfriend, Andrew Featherston, who was a percussionist in the indie band, The Hereafter. However, the couple never confirmed the relationship.
- Lever Rukhin aka Lev (2014-Present) – She is reportedly dating Lever Rukhin who is a contextual photographer and artist of Russian origin and resides in Los Angeles with his daughter from a previous relationship. The couple was spotted together at a high profile Canadian event in 2016. They were also spotted together in Rome in December 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of South Korean descent.
- Thick, curly hair
- Monolid eyes
She has been cast in a commercial for National Canadian Film Day 150.
Sandra has also done voiceover work for an OnStar commercial.
She was raised in a Christian household.
Best Known For
Playing the character of Christina Yang in 10 seasons of ABC network’s medical drama, Grey’s Anatomy (2005-2014). For the performance in the show, Sandra was nominated for several awards and won a Golden Globe and two Screen Actors Guild awards. At the peak of her popularity between 2012 and 2013, Sandra earned $350,000 per episode.
She made her theatrical film debut with the lead role of a Chinese-Canadian woman named Jade Li in the drama, Double Happiness, in 1994.
As a voice actress, she made her theatrical film debut as Gal 2000 in the animated sci-fi adventure, Quantum Quest: A Cassini Space Odyssey, in 2010.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance as Gwen in the series, Denim Blues, in 1989.
As a voice actress, she made her TV show debut as Breadcrumb in the animated series, Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child, in 1999.
- The actress alternates between a Pilates class 2-3 times a week with endurance training and strengthening classes at Dove’s Bodies in North Hollywood, California twice a week.
- Sandra has shared in an interview that she started working out with trainer Dove Rose in the 1990s and has continued to be a dedicated client of Dove’s Bodies for more than 2 decades.
- Members never get to take any class twice because Dove draws a variety of movements from her extensive background in dance, yoga, Pilates, and strength training to switch the format of every class.
- A variety of props are used, apart from bodyweight, to create an intense class using free weights, ankle weights, medicine balls, BOSU balance discs, ballet barres, jump ropes, weighted hula hoops, mats, body bars, and rebounder /trampoline.
- Sandra’s home is near a canyon so she also likes to go for a hike whenever she can spare the time.
- In terms of diet, Sandra starts her day with a light breakfast that comprises a cup of coffee and avocado on toast.
- She prefers Korean food for lunch that possibly includes a meal with legumes, fermented vegetables, and a small portion of meat such as pork.
- Dinner is the heaviest meal of her day. A sample meal would be spatchcocked chicken, roasted asparagus, and zucchini with a side of pasta and a big glass of wine.
- She avoids consuming dairy products and shellfish.
- The actress has claimed that the secret to her fitness is to keep her gut healthy and mind clear.
- To reduce inflammation in the body, Sandra visits an acupuncturist twice a week and visits Korean Spa regularly. This practice, along with the habit of consuming organic food, has helped her completely get rid of auto-immune issues such as allergies as well as asthma and eczema. These were the chronic problems the actress battled with since her teens to well into her 30s.
- Sandra also promotes and follows Buddhist meditation, Vipassanā, and regularly attends retreats to improve her practice.
Sandra Oh Favorite Things
- Korean Food – Her mother’s Bin Dae Dukk
- Make-Up Remover – Neutrogena Eye Make-up Remover
- Beauty Gadgets – Clarisonic brush, LightStim
- Skin Serums – iS Clinical, iGlow Illuminating C Serum, Le Mieux Hyaluronic /Glycolic Serums, Caudalie Resveratrol Serum
- Travel Essentials – No Jet Lag homeopathic, Water, Moisturizer, Journal
- Dream Guests For A Dinner Party – Michelle Obama, Genghis Khan, Buddha
- Dream Team To Collaborate With – Thom Yorke, Ali Wong, Jane Campion, Phoebe Waller-Bridge
- Guilty Pleasure – Salty fried food, Salted Caramel, French Fries
- Cuisine – Korean, Japanese, Spanish
- Sources Of Inspiration – Her nieces, teachers, and fears
- Summer Pleasure – Traveling
- Ice-Cream Flavor – Haagen-Dazs limited edition Peanut Butter Brittle
- Korean Restaurant – The Corner Place in LA
- Korean Grocery Store – HK Market on Beverly and Western
- Hangout Place – The Hollywood Bowl
- Café – Metro Café inside a Travelodge in LA
- Shops – Mitsuwa Marketplace, Froma on Melrose
- Places For A Walk – Silver Lake Reservoir, Hancock Park
- Rock Star – Wayne Coyne (Lead singer of The Flaming Lips)
- Vacation Spot – Barcelona, Spain
- TV Show – The Simpsons
Source – TheNewPotato.com, Health, Los Angeles Magazine, IMDb, Marie Claire
Sandra Oh Facts
- Her middle name ‘Miju’ means ‘pretty pearl’ or ‘beautiful pearl’ in Korean.
- Apart from English, she speaks fluent Korean, French, and Spanish.
- Sandra’s siblings and parents are highly educated. She has stated that in her family, she is the only person who does not have a Master’s degree.
- While still in school, she also learned to play the flute and the piano.
- She attempted her first stage performance at the age of 10 in the school play called The Canada Goose.
- Sandra was also a member of her high school comedy troupe called Skit Row High. As a member of the group, she participated in the Ottawa Improv Games where the group reportedly won the national championship.
- She was also elected as Student Council President in her high school.
- By the age of 15, Sandra started getting professional work in theatre, television, and commercials.
- As much as the actress loved ballet, she somewhat knew that she was not good enough to become a professional dancer and turned her focus towards acting by the age of 10 because she loved performing on stage.
- At the age of 19, she beat 1000 applicants to get cast in the lead role in the TV film, The Diary of Evelyn Lau (1994).
- In the early 90s, when the actress was financially broke, she won $5000 Canadian dollars from a scratch-off lottery ticket. Sandra considered it as an encouragement from the universe to continue her pursuits as an actress.
- Sandra is the recipient of two Genie Awards for Best Actress in a Lead Role in 1994 and 1998. The awards are the Canadian version of the Oscars.
- She earned a star on the Canadian Walk of Fame in 2011.
- The day Sandra had to audition for the part of Christina Yang in Grey’s Anatomy, she was overwhelmed by chaos. She forgot her phone and wallet at home and after arriving early to test for the role, she decided to leave the audition because she was having a bad day.
- Inspirational speaker, Margo Purcell has been Sandra’s best friend since 3rd grade.
- Sandra is the first woman of Asian descent to win two Golden Globe awards.
- In 2018, she became the first actress of Asian descent to get nominated for an Emmy award in the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series category for her role as Eve Polastri in Killing Eve.
- To find out more about Sandra Oh, follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Sandra Oh / Instagram