|Scott Harris Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||September 15|
Scott Harris is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist, best known for writing songs for multiple Shawn Mendes albums, one of which was Illuminate, released on September 23, 2016. He wrote 10 songs for it, including its lead single, Treat You Better, that reached the 3rd spot on US Mainstream Top 40 chart. He was also behind the hit song There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back that reached number 1 on the same chart. Scott also worked on 2 other Shawn Mendes albums – Handwritten (2015), his debut album that hit the number 1 on Billboard 200 chart, as well as 13 songs on his 3rd self-titled Shawn Mendes (2018) album, that also debuted at number 1 of the Billboard 200 chart.
Scott was nominated for the Grammy Award in 2019 in the category “Song of the Year” for Shawn Mendes’ song In My Blood and won a Grammy Award for co-writing Don’t Let Me Down performed by The Chainsmokers, which peaked at number 1 of the US Mainstream Top 40 chart in 2016. In addition, he worked as a songwriter for well-known singers and artists such as X Ambassadors, Quinn XCII, Bebe Rexha, Jessie J, DJ Tiesto, Jon Bellion, and others. One of his most notable credits as a songwriter was Noah Kahan’s single titled Hurt Somebody that reached a 2x Platinum status in Australia.
Scott Harris Friedman
He was born on September 15.
New York, United States
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Songwriter, Multi-instrumentalist, Singer
- Father – (Jazz Piano Player)
- Siblings – Diane Hollender (Older Sister)
He was represented by Rebel One management in the past.
Pop rock, Pop, Alternative Pop, Progressive House, Electro House, Trap
Vocals, Guitar, Piano
He hasn’t been signed by a recording label yet.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Scott Harris has dated –
- Rachel Brown (2014-Present) – Their relationship can be traced all the way back to early 2014, judging by her and Scott’s social media. The pair enjoys traveling throughout the United States, and have gotten married at one point in late 2015 or early 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American descent.
- Slim physique
- Stubble facial hair
- Tattoo on biceps
- Often wears sunglasses
Best Known For
- Being a songwriter for Shawn Mendes since his debut album, Handwritten (2015), all the way through Illuminate (2016), and Shawn Mendes (2018)
- Winning a Grammy Award in 2016 for co-writing The Chainsmokers’ song Don’t Let Me Down
- Being nominated for a Grammy Award in 2019 for co-writing Shawn Mendes’ song In My Blood
- Writing songs well-known artists such as Bebe Rehxa, Jessie J, Quinn XCII, DJ Tiesto and others
As a Singer
He started a band named Scott Haris Project with his friend Teddy Geiger, who he later collaborated with on writing songs for Shawn Mendes. Scott later abandoned his singing career as he felt the freedom of songwriting fit him better.
As a Songwriter
He wrote the song Party Like You’re Single in the Miles and Miles album for Stephen Jerzak in 2011. He also worked on the songs like Pass the Love Around, Ain’t Been Done, Villa, Get it Right, etc.
Scott Harris Favorite Things
- Activity – Traveling, Writing Music, Playing Guitar
- Sports – Basketball
- Sports Team – The Knicks
- Basketball Player – Shaquille O’Neal
Scott Harris Facts
- He started playing the piano when he was 4 years old.
- Scott picked up a guitar and started practicing when he was a teenager, at around 14 years of age. He only knew 3 chords in the beginning and began writing pop-like songs without lyrics.
- He studied Room For Squares album by John Mayer when he was a beginner, which gave him courage and expertise to start writing his own songs.
- His 1st cut by a recording label was a song he wrote with The Knocks and Stephen Jerzak, for Stephen’s 1st single on Universal Records in 2011, named Miles and Miles.
- After writing the 1st song for Shawn Mendes, named Life of the Party that went number 1 on iTunes overnight, they simply clicked and kept writing songs together, thus becoming great friends.
- Scott said that he has great chemistry with Shawn and that he’s the most genuine and sincere human, but also very talented. He was still learning guitar when they met, and after 3 months, Shawn became really good at it.
- Scott and Shawn wrong a song The Weight from the Handwritten (2015) album entirely over a Skype call session.
- His father died on June 23, 2016, as a result of an illness. Scott said he inspired him to ever even think of writing a song, as his dad wrote jazz music his whole life.
- After his dad’s death, he tattooed a hand glider flying through the air on his biceps, inspired by the song his dad played.
- He and Shawn wrote a song named Hold On, which was inspired by Shawn’s dad, but occurred at the time Scott’s father was sick. After his dad’s passing, Shawn played the song at a show, and it made Scott realize how meaningful that particular songwriting session was for him.
- One of his biggest achievements was the Grammy Award in 2016 for The Chainsmokers’s hit song Don’t Let Me Down. He co-wrote it with Emily Warren and Andrew Taggart from the band. Scott said he loves writing with Emily, as they’re great friends and spend a lot of time together. The song had a beginning in Andrew’s idea of a melody. He played the beginning to it at his apartment, after which the trio developed it into a hit it became.
- He wasn’t into pop music growing up.
- In 2014, he worked with Jessie J on her Ain’t Been Done song from her album titled Sweet Talker, as well as the singer Niykee Heaton on her Villa song from the Bad Intentions album.
- 2015 was marked by his songwriting for Shawn’s debut album, Handwritten, as well as Sabrina Carpenter‘s song White Flag, along with Melanie Martinez‘s Tag, You’re It hit song.
- In 2016, Scott worked with rapper Skizzy Mars on his song Girl on a Train, as well as Naughty Boy, Kyla, and Popcaan on their Should’ve Been Me song, among others. The next year, he had a working relationship with Alessia Cara on her version of the song The Other Side.
- The year 2018 was one of the busiest and most productive for Scott Harris – he wrote songs for Jason Mraz, Era Istrefi, Chromeo, Anne-Marie, as well as the song Cool for a collaboration consisting of Felix Jaehn, Marc E. Bassy, and Gucci Mane. He also worked with Max Frost, Michael Buble, Gnash, and Jonas Blue.
- The 1st CDs Scott bought were The Score by The Fugees, Under The Table by Dave Matthews Band, and Dookie by Green Day.
- His 1st band was named Low Tide, and he made it with his 3 high school best friends. They were 15 at the time, eating McDonald’s food, smoking weed, and covering Blink 182 band’s songs. They produced an album in Scott’s basement and burned it via CD-R burners to sell locally.
- Scott said that he has no definite time for writing a song. He also claimed some took him only 2 hours, while others were made in a span of a week of spending time with an artist, both in a professional recording studio, or one built at home.
- In early 2019, Scott was credited as a songwriter for Matt Simons’s single Tough, Julia Michaels‘ duet with Selena Gomez named Anxiety, and Ally Brooke‘s song Low Key featuring rapper Tyga.
- On February 20, 2019, the song he wrote for Pink titled Walk Me Home was released and was praised by the audience.
- Follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Scott Harris / Instagram