Preciosa, Sel, Queen of Tejano, Buffy, La Reina de Tex-Mex
Selena Quintanilla was born on April 16, 1971.
Selena died at the age of 23 on March 31, 1995 due to Gunshot in Corpus Christi, Texas, United States.
Lake Jackson, Texas, United States
Selena went to these schools (written in proper order)
- Oran M. Roberts Elementary School
- West Oso Junior High in Corpus Christi
- American School of Correspondence in Chicago
She was accepted into the Louisiana State University but, chose to get enrolled at Pacific Western University and selected business administration as her major.
Singer, songwriter, actress, spokesperson, fashion designer
- Father – Abraham Quintanilla Jr. (Former Musician)
- Mother – Marcella Ofelia Quintanilla
- Siblings – A.B. Quintanilla III (Older Brother) (Record Producer), Suzette Quintanilla (Older Sister) (Actress)
- Others – Abraham Gonzalez Quintanilla Sr. (Paternal Grandfather), Maria Tereza Calderon (Paternal Grandmother)
Not signed with any.
Tejano, Mexican cumbia, mariachi, ranchera, pop, R&B
Q-Productions, EMI Latin, EMI America Records, Capitol Latin, Universal Music Latin Entertainment
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Selena Quintanilla had dated –
- Chris Perez (1989-1995) – In 1989, guitarist and author Chris had collaborated with A.B. Quintanilla III to write a jingle for Coca-Cola commercial, which Selena had to perform. After the commercial was accepted, A.B. treated them to a Mexican trip, where Chris found he had feelings for Selena. As he had a girlfriend back then, he tried to stay away from her but couldn’t control his feelings and decided to woo her. They confessed their feelings for each other at Pizza Hut chain and soon got in a relationship. Being afraid that her father won’t approve of their relationship, they resolved to keep it secret. However, her sister got wind of their affair, which led to her father telling Chris their relationship was over. They didn’t heed to his order and continued to date until he fired him from the band. One morning in April 1992, he found her outside his room and she convinced him to elope. They secretly got married in Nueces County. The news of their marriage was leaked within hours and ultimately her father accepted their marriage.
Race / Ethnicity
Selena has Mexican-American ancestry on father’s side, while was of Cherokee Indian descent on mother’s side.
- Distinct Latin American appearance
- Penchant for dressing provocatively
35-26-37 in or 89-66-94 cm
8 (US) or 38 (EU)
She was speculated to be wearing a shoe of size 7 (US).
Selena has starred in the TV commercials for
- Para HSN en Español clothing line
- Battered women’s shelter
- Agree Shampoo
- Southwestern Call Notes
- Southwestern Bell
- Agree Shampoo
- MAC cosmetics
- No More Guns
Best Known For
- Being one of the most successful Latin artists of all time.
- Being one of the most famous sex icons of the 90s.
Selena released her debut studio album Selena in October 1989. It peaked at #7 on “Regional Mexican Albums” charts.
Selena debuted with 1995 rom-com film Don Juan DeMarco in the role of Mariachi singer.
First TV Show
In 1993, Selena appeared in 2 episodes of the telenovela Dos Mujeres, un Camino as herself.
During her lifetime, she wasn’t too fascinated by crazy diets. For that matter, she didn’t even believe in dieting and used to eat anything she wanted.
She only used to make sure that she was eating three times a day and taking her daily vitamins.
Selena also didn’t like exercising and relied on stage work to remain fit.
Selena Quintanilla Favorite Things
- Food – Pizza
- Flowers – White Roses
- Color – Purple, Black
- Fast Food Chain – Pizza Hut, Jack in the Box, Whataburger, Olive Garden
- Singers – Janet Jackson, Bonnie Raitt, Gloria Estefan, Garth Brooks
- Her own Song – Bidi Bidi Bom Bom
Selena Quintanilla Facts
- Selena holds the distinction of being the first Tejano artist to have found a place in Billboard’s Latin Top 200 List of All Time Best Selling Records.
- The Coca-Cola brand created a special beverage bottle in her honor in 1994 and to celebrate her 5 years as the ambassador of the soft drink brand.
- When her mother was pregnant with her, her parents were so confident that she would give birth to a son. They even had decided to name the child as Marc Anthony.
- In 1994, she created a history by becoming first Tejano recording artist to have won a Grammy award. That year, her album Live! was recognized as the best American / Mexican album.
- She started singing at the age of 3.
- By the age of 9, she was headlining her music band, Selena y Los Dinos, which was put together by her father.
- In 1994, she launched her clothing label and started two boutique stores (in San Antonio and Corpus Christi) under the Selena Etc. name. The boutique had in-house beauty salon as well.
- At the Tejano Music Award ceremonies, she managed to win the Female Vocalist of the Year award for 9 consecutive years. Overall, she won it for 10 times.
- Throughout her life, she worked with not for profit and social cause organizations such as Toys for Tots, D.A.R.E and, Texas Prevention Partnership.
- In January 1995, she served as the main act at the Teach the Children festival. The proceeds from the concert were used to procure school supplies for the needy children.
- She regularly visited schools and educational institutes to encourage children to refrain from alcohol or drug usage.
- She used to design her own on-stage outfits.
- After she was shot dead by her employee, Yolanda Saldivar, the governor of Texas, George W. Bush declared her birthday as the Selena Day in Texas.
- When her album Dreaming of You debuted at #1 position on the US Billboard 200, she became the first Hispanic music artist to accomplish it.
- She doesn’t have any social media account.