|Vanessa Kirby Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 18, 1988|
|Eye Color||Pale Greyish Blue|
Vanessa Kirby is an English actress, theatre artist, and producer who has gained critical acclaim with her roles such as Princess Margaret in The Crown, Lady Jemima Hervey in The Frankenstein Chronicles, Zelda Fitzgerald in Genius, Martha Carson in Pieces of a Woman, Alanna Mitsopolis/White Widow in Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Tally in The World to Come, Alicia Dewares in Me Before You, Estella Havisham in Great Expectations, and Sandy Hill in Everest. Moreover, for her performance in The Crown, she won the BAFTA TV Award for “Best Supporting Actress” and Glamour Award for “UK TV Actress” while also getting nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series”.
Vanessa Noola Kirby
Noo, Nu, Hot Mess, Noola Noo
Wimbledon, London, England, United Kingdom
South West London, England, United Kingdom
She studied in an all-girls private boarding school called Lady Eleanor Holles in Hampton, Middlesex.
Vanessa applied to study acting at the prestigious Bristol Old Vic Theatre School but was turned down for admission which made her take some time off and travel to South Africa for a year.
Upon her return, she enrolled in the University of Exeter for a Bachelor’s in English Literature that she successfully completed in first division (Scoring an aggregate from 70% – 100% equivalent to 3.7-4.00 GPA in the USA)
Student productions seasoned her presence on the stage which got her a place in The London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) after finishing college.
But before she could join LAMDA, Vanessa also signed up with a talent agency and met theatre director, David Thacker. He gave her a starring role in three of his stage productions meant to be performed at the Octagon Theatre in Bolton, Greater Manchester.
Vanessa accepted the offer which officially kickstarted her acting career in 2009. She never joined LAMDA and studied her craft on the job.
Actress, Theatre Artist, Producer
- Father – Roger Kirby (Retired prostate surgeon and professor of urology, researcher, writer on men’s health and prostate disease)
- Mother – Jane (Former Magazine Editor, Founder of Country Living Magazine)
- Siblings – Juliet Kirby (Younger Sister) (Theatrical Agent, Talent Manager), Joe Kirby (Older Brother) (Assistant, Deputy Headmaster of a school)
- Others – Kenneth S. Kirby (Paternal Grandfather) (Professor of cell chemistry), Janet Hazel Sturgess (Paternal Grandmother)
She has been represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment LLC (WME)
- Bloom Hergott (Entertainment Law firm)
- Christian Hodell, Hamilton Hodell, London, England, United Kingdom
- Another Tongue, Voice Over agency in London, England, United Kingdom
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Vanessa Kirby has dated –
- Christian Cooke (2009–2011) – Vanessa dated the television actor, director, and producer steadily for three years until the couple started drifting apart and finally broke up at the end of 2011. He went through an awkward period when he was cast alongside Vanessa’s boyfriend, Douglas to play his best friend in Romeo and Juliet (2013) while Vanessa was still in a relationship with Douglas.
- Douglas Booth (2012–2014) – Vanessa first met actor/model, Douglas Booth while filming a BBC miniseries Great Expectations (2011) in which Douglas had the lead role. Vanessa was drawn to the actor’s charm and reportedly her attraction towards Douglas was one of the reasons behind her break-up with Christian. However, once the two started dating, female attention towards Douglas showed no signs of diminishing. Link up rumors related to the handsome actor continued as usual that prevented stability in the couple’s dating life. Moreover, Douglas was merely 19 years old when he started dating Vanessa who was 24 at that time. She broke up with Douglas after dating him for two years.
- Callum Turner – In 2015, Vanessa started dating actor and model, Callum Turner. Vanessa revealed that they were so secretly dating that when she met Tom Cruise in 2017, people romantically linked her with Tom which wasn’t true. In 2018, they were seen kissing during a time together at night time in London. The couple broke up after some time.
- Tom Cruise (2017) – Reportedly, American actor Tom Cruise was impressed by Vanessa Kirby’s performance in The Crown (2016–2017) and asked the Mission: Impossible producers to consider the actress for a role in the sixth installment of the blockbuster franchise. The chemistry between Tom and Vanessa during the screening process was undeniable which set off frenzied dating rumors concerning the two. The paparazzi added fuel to dating speculation by publishing the pictures of the two actors filming MI6. Furthermore, there was a talk that Tom might be thinking of making Vanessa his fourth wife, and the two are likely to get engaged. While sources close to the star denied these claims, the rumors continued unabated.
- Paul Rabil (2022) – Vanessa was first rumored to be dating former lacrosse player Paul Rabil after they were seen together in New York City in September 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English ancestry.
Pale Greyish Blue
- Big, piercing blue eyes
- Oval face with healthy, full cheeks
- A resemblance to Tom Cruise’s Top Gun (1986) co-star Kelly McGillis
34-26-36 in or 86-66-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 10 (UK) or 38 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 6 (UK) or 39 (EU)
- In 2016, the British luxury brand Smythson declared Vanessa Kirby as their brand ambassador alongside actor James Norton to showcase the brand’s Spring Summer 2016 Collection.
- She regularly lends her voice to all kinds of TV commercials/public interest messages. Her formerly recorded voice-over work includes leading brands such as:
- Mercedes Benz E-Class
- Diet Coke
Best Known For
- Her main role of Princess Margaret in the biographical drama series The Crown (2016 – 2017) based on the life of Queen Elizabeth II and her family
- Cast in Mission: Impossible 6 (2018) opposite Tom Cruise
She played a supporting role of a character named Jane in the love story of two elderly people in Love/Loss (2010).
First TV Show
She appeared in the pilot and two more episodes of the BBC drama series, The Hour in 2011.
- Vanessa naturally has a lean build which tends to get very thin if she engages in cardio-driven intensive training.
- When not preparing for any role, she confesses that she can’t be bothered to exercise regularly.
- She does make it a point to run occasionally.
- Vanessa regularly practices yoga and meditation with the motivation of improving her mental strength more than her aesthetic appeal.
- She takes up an exercise class that incorporates bodyweight training focusing on the legs and abs when she feels that she might be neglecting her body.
- For Mission: Impossible 6 (2018), Vanessa trained under the supervision of celebrity trainer, Sam Eastwood.
- Sam who is a skilled Pilates instructor disagrees with the current trend of lifting heavy weights to gain lean muscle and recommends it only for those who have a lot of fat to lose.
- Although she agrees that added weight for full-body compound movements is totally acceptable such as side lunges.
- She trained Vanessa and her co-star Rebecca Ferguson with traditional Pilates occasionally incorporating light weights and high repetitions for shoulder and back workouts.
- Sam insists that bodyweight Pilates movements alone offer the benefit of improved posture, flexibility, strength, and balance simultaneously from the same set of exercises.
- In conjunction with Pilates strength training, Sam recommends running 5k runs, 2 to 3 times in a week or building up to it.
- For supplements, Vanessa’s trainer recommends taking Glutamine, Magnesium, and Hydrochloric Acid (in the form of enzyme and pepsin supplements) as a complement to consuming whole foods.
- Sam also states that sugar is the #1 addictive element responsible for ruining a healthy diet and a fit body, so recommends avoiding it as much as possible.
Vanessa Kirby Favorite Things
- Characters (From Her Own Work) – Masha in Three Sisters, Elena in Uncle Vanya
- Activity to Unwind – Cooking for her friends
- Books – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Awareness by Anthony De Mello
- Film – Victoria (2015)
- Band – The National, First Aid Kit
- Fashion Icon – Emma Stone
- Makeup Item – Christian Dior’s BB Crème
- Accessory – Her Mulberry Handbag
- Cocktail – A glass of martini with an olive
Source – Independent, Glamour, Stylist, Daily Mail
Vanessa Kirby Facts
- She was inspired to become an actress at the age of 12 when she saw family friends Vanessa and Corin Redgrave perform in the play The Cherry Orchard (2000) staged at the National Theatre.
- She briefly suffered bullying at her private school and was once beaten up by another drunken student.
- While studying in college, Vanessa used to dye her hair brown so that people would take her more seriously.
- Acting in student productions in college made her decide she wanted to base her life around acting even if she had to do it for free.
- She is a close friend of the fellow actress, Jessica Brown Findlay.
- Her career started with hectic, 18 straight months of theatre acting. Vanessa reveals that acting on the stage is totally unglamorous and no actor gets any importance for their social standing, popularity, or dating life.
- Vanessa was extremely disinterested in the British monarchy and knew nothing about them until she was cast in The Crown. She became fascinated by the royal family after she did intensive research on her character.
- She describes herself as someone who worries a lot. She took up meditation to keep herself stress-free.
- Social media gives Vanessa anxiety, so she restricts sharing information online.
- To prepare herself mentally before every performance, Vanessa listens to music on her iPhone till the very last moment before walking on to the set or the stage.
- Despite landing a role in MI6, Vanessa wasn’t interested in moving to Hollywood but looked forward to the opportunity of taking up challenging roles with independent film directors both in the USA and Europe.
- Alongside the likes of Shia LaBeouf, Molly Parker, Sarah Snook, and Ellen Burstyn, she co-starred as Martha Weiss in the 2020 drama film, Pieces of a Woman.
- Vanessa won the Best Actress award at the 2020 Venice Film Festival for her role in the Pieces of a Woman. The movie was then sold to Netflix.
- Her theatre credits include playing Helena in William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Octagon Theatre in 2010, Regina Engstrand in Henrik Ibsen’s Ghosts at Octagon Theatre in 2010, Rosalind in William Shakespeare’s As You Like It at West Yorkshire Playhouse in 2010, Isabella in Thomas Middleton’s Women Beware Women at Royal National Theatre in 2011, and Stella Kowalski in Tennessee Williams’ A Streetcar Named Desire at Young Vic in 2014.
Featured Image by Vanessa Kirby / Instagram
Don’t allow yourself to be seduced by the devil and you will go far.