|Vijay Deverakonda Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 9, 1989|
Vijay Deverakonda is an Indian actor who is distinguished for his work in the Telugu film industry. Perhaps, his most notable appearances were in Yevade Subramanyam (2015), Pelli Choopulu (2016), Arjun Reddy (2017), and Geetha Govindam (2018). The aspiring actor has also worked with many well-known stars such as Rashmika Mandanna, Rashi Khanna, and Aishwarya Rajesh. His work in the show biz industry also placed him in the prestigious “Celebrity 100 list” by Forbes India. He is quite the heart warmer and has gathered and donated a large sum of money to help the people in need. Vijay also has a huge fan base with more than 4 million followers on Instagram, more than 1 million followers on Twitter, and more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook.
Achampet, Nagarkurnool, Telangana, India
Vijay studied at Eton Temple High School in Saroornagar, Hyderabad. Later, he went to a boarding school called Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School in Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh.
After completing his schooling, he graduated from the Badruka College Of Commerce And Arts with a Bachelor of Commerce degree.
- Father – Devarakonda Govardhan Rao (Television Director)
- Mother – Deverakonda Madhavi
- Siblings – Anand Deverakonda (Younger Brother) (Actor)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vijay has dated –
- Virginie (2018) – In 2018, Vijay was rumored to have been in a relationship with a girl from Belgium named Virginie. Speculations of the two being in a tie-up with one another started to flood the internet after pictures of them getting comfortable with one another were uploaded to the ladies Instagram account. However, many thought that the picture was fraudulent until she posted a picture of herself and her mother meeting up with Vijay’s parents over a scrumptious meal. Virginie had also made a cameo appearance in the film Pelli Choopulu in 2016. Despite the ongoing rumors, Vijay had not come forth to comment on the matter as of 2019.
- Rashmika Mandanna (2018) – Actor Vijay and his co-star Rashmika Mandanna from Geetha Gotham (2018) were rumored to have been dating one another ever since they met on the set of the hit film. However, neither of them have come forth to clarify the speculations.
Race / Ethnicity
- Thick beard
- Curly hair
Vijay has appeared in commercials for several brands including KLM Fashion Mall and Sangeetha Mobiles.
Through his social media, he has endorsed several brands such as –
- SS Homme
Best Known For
- Being cast as Prasanth in Pelli Choopulu (2016), Dr. Arjun Reddy Deshmuk in Arjun Reddy (2017), Vijay Govind in Geetha Govindam (2018), and as V. Varun in NOTA (2018)
- His appearance in several other hit films such as Nuvvila (2011), Life Is Beautiful (2012), Dwaraka (2017), and Taxiwaala (2018)
- Being listed on the prestigious Forbes India‘s “Celebrity 100 2018” list at #72 as well as its “30 Under 30” list in 2019
- His humanitarian deeds and monetary contribution to society
- Being featured on the cover of several magazines such as Red, jfW, and Wow!
- His work alongside several famous actresses such as Shalini Pandey, Ritu Varma, Amala Akkineni, and Rashmika Mandanna
- Founding the clothing brand The Rowdy Club
- Being compared to Bollywood’s serial kisser Emraan Hashmi
Vijay made his debut Telugu theatrical film appearance as Vishnu in Nuvvila in 2011.
He made his first Tamil theatrical film appearance as V. Varun in NOTA in 2018.
First TV Show
Vijay made his first TV show appearance ‘Himself’ in Bigg Boss Telugu in August 2017.
In the past, he was training under ACSM, CSCS, TRX, and IKFF certified trainer Kuldep Sethi.
Vijay does go to the gym and workouts with a lot of dedication. He also enjoys playing volleyball, badminton, and cricket.
Though he’s a non-vegetarian, he prefers to eat a lot of vegetables to keep himself fit and healthy. Vijay also keeps away from any that contains sugar in it. His cheat meal normally consists of burgers as he craves them the most and has one every week.
He also gets enough sleep as possible while maintaining a healthy diet.
Vijay Deverakonda Favorite Things
- Burger Recipe – A meat patty topped with caramelized onions, loads of cheese, crispy bacon
- Song – Raalupoola Ragamala (2016) composed by Vivek Sagar
In 2017, critics protested against Vijay’s film Arjun Reddy (2017). The YSR Congress Party filed a complaint against the ‘obscene’ nature of the film and the posters that feature Arjun and his co-star Shalini Pandey sharing a steamy moment between themselves.
Leaders of the National Federation of Indian Women also protested against the film as they found it to be derogatory to women and spoiler to the youth. The Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao was also asked to view the movie and ban it.
The wing leader of the Andra Pradesh Congress Party Woman, Sunkara Padma Sree also stated that “in a bid to make profits, they have degraded women and portrayed them in an obscene way. Huge posters of lip locks on city buses and public places are disturbing. A few scenes in the movie portrayed women as a dumb doll.”
After Senior Congress leader, V Hanumanatha Rao, tore a poster of his from an RTC bus, Vijay took to social media and wrote the words “Thathayya, Chill,” (In English Thathayya means ‘grandpa’). Despite, the on-going disturbance, the film went on to bag an astounding box office value of INR 510 million.
A second controversy similar to the first one also stirred up after Vijay and actress Rashmika Mandanna locked lips in the film Geetha Govindam (2018). Critics had also compared Vijay to Bollywood actor Emraan Hashmi.
Vijay Deverakonda Facts
- He spent his childhood between Hyderabad and Andhra Pradesh.
- Vijay was sent to boarding school when he was 5 years old.
- He was only allowed to watch 2 movies per month and had no access to television till he was 15 years old.
- Vijay was in class 4 when he began writing stories.
- While at Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School, he discovered acting and performed in several of his school’s productions. However, he claims he was not very good at it at the time.
- From the age of 16 right up till he was 20 years old, Vijay struggled to find the kind of career he wanted to settle into.
- His career as an actor began while he was associated with a theater group called Sutradhar and also attended a 3-month workshop at the Ingenium Dramatics. After that, he made his debut in Nuvvilla (2011).
- In 2014, he directed a horror short film titled Madam Meerena that was highly accoladed.
- Though Vijay had starred in several films prior to Pelli Choopulu (2016), his role in the film as Prasanth was where he earned stardom.
- His father Devarakonda Govardhan Rao is a TV serial and ad-film director.
- In 2017, he appeared as a guest star in Big Boss Kannada and Telugu.
- On the day of his birthday in 2018, Vijay sent out 3 trucks filled with ice cream that traveled through the streets of Hyderabad distributing free ice cream.
- In October 2018, he donated INR 5,00,000 under the “CM Relief Fund” to the state of Andhra Pradesh who had suffered a huge loss due to “Cyclone Titli”. Prior to that, in July 2018, he had donated an astounding INR 25,00,000 under the same project for the state of Telangana on behalf of his brand Rowdy.
- The incredibly talented Vijay has been listed twice on two of the Forbes India lists. The first being on their “Celebrity 100 2018” list, where he was placed at #72 place with an estimated net worth of 14 crores. Thereafter, he became the first actor to be listed in their “30 Under 30” list in 2019.
- He enjoys driving his mother around town.
- Over the years, Vijay has won several distinguished awards such as the Nandi Award in 2015, Filmfare Awards South in 2017, and the Zee Telugu Golden Award in 2017 and 2018. He has also won the Hindustan times India’s most stylish 2019 Award in the category of “Hottest Stylista”.
- He refers to his fans as “rowdies”.
- In grade 7, Vijay and a friend of his concocted a brand named Lava with the punchline being “Feel The Heat With It”. Later, when he grew up, he then fulfilled his dream to have a brand of his own and named it The Rowdy Club.
- The already talented and versatile Vijay wanted to become a singer when he grew up. However, due to time clashes between his cricket practice and music classes, he decided to forfeit singing.
- Vijay was 25 years old when his Andhra Bank account was blocked because he couldn’t maintain a bank balance of INR 500. He also stated that his father had advised him to attain success before he reached the age of 30 so he could enjoy his success while he was still young and be able to spend time with his family.
- Vijay’s dislikes people who try to dictate his life to him.
- In an interview, Vijay revealed that he had been getting marriage proposals since he was in class 12.
- He enjoys eating especially burgers, biryani, idli, and dosa.
Featured Image By Dani Charles, Silverscreen.in / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0