|Karan Johar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||May 25, 1972|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Karan Johar is a highly successful director and producer from Bollywood whose movies, which center mostly on love triangles and family dramas, have received commercial as well as critical acclaim. His big-budget films are well-known for their opulent sets, overseas locations, trendy costumes, etc., and have captured the imagination of the moviegoers since his debut. In addition, he is also the head of Dharma Productions, which is a leading production company in India and has financed some of the top-grossing films of the past decade.
Karan is also famous for his cheeky chat show Koffee with Karan which has seen the biggest stars from the film industry compete for the highly-coveted ‘Koffee Hamper’. Furthermore, he has also appeared as a judge on other reality shows like Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, India’s Got Talent, and India’s Next Superstars. Since 2017, the acclaimed director has devoted himself to raising his twin kids, Yash and Roohi, along with his mother Hiroo Johar. He has 10 million followers on Instagram and 17 million followers on Twitter.
Rahul Kumar Johar
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Karan attended the Greenlawns High School in Mumbai.
Later, he got enrolled at the H.R. College of Commerce and Economics and graduated with a Master’s degree in French.
Director, Producer, Actor, Costume Designer, Screenwriter, Television Host
- Father – Yash Johar (Producer) (Passed away from cancer in 2004)
- Mother – Hiroo Johar (née Chopra)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Yash Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Director, Producer), Pamela Chopra (Maternal Aunt) (Wife of Yash Chopra) (Producer, Playback Singer), Aditya Chopra (Maternal Cousin Brother) (Son of Yash Chopra) (Director, Producer, Writer), Uday Chopra (Maternal Cousin Brother) (Son of Yash Chopra) (Actor, Producer), Rani Mukerji (Sister-in-Law) (Wife of Aditya Chopra) (Actress), B. R. Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Director, Producer), Ravi Chopra (Cousin Brother) (Son of B. R. Chopra) (Director) (Died in 2014), Kapil Chopra (Nephew) (Son of Ravi Chopra), Abhay Chopra (Nephew) (Son of Ravi Chopra), Dharam Raj Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Cinematographer), Raj Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Film Distributor), Kuldeep Raj Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Banker)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Karan Johar has dated –
- Ekta Kapoor (2007) – In 2007, Karan had jokingly mentioned that he would marry television czarina Ekta Kapoor if they both remained single in the future. Ekta too, reciprocated with a friendly banter that formed the basis of such rumors.
- Vandana Melwani (2011) – Karan was speculated to get married to his US-based family friend Vandana Melwani in 2011. According to reports, the alliance was blessed by his mother Hiroo Johar. But, Karan refuted the claims stating that he preferred staying single all his life.
- Manish Malhotra (2018) – Designer Manish Malhotra and Karan have been friends for more than 20 years and are often seen partying together. Their friendship came under fire in May 2018 when Manish wished his close friend on his birthday. Rumor mills immediately went into overdrive stating them as a romantic couple. However, the designer asserted that they were more like brothers.
- Prabal Gurung (2019) – The rumors of American fashion designer Prabal Gurung dating Karan began in May 2019 when the former wished him on his birthday on Instagram. However, Gurung quickly clarified that their love wasn’t romantic and that Karan is his dearest friend, mentor, and big brother.
- Shah Rukh Khan – Karan and actor Shah Rukh Khan’s close bond has always been the subject of media’s speculation. The duo was alleged to be in a secret relationship but Karan has always maintained that Shah Rukh is one of his closest friends and like family to him.
- In February 2017, Karan introduced his twin kids, Yash and Roohi, to the media. The kids were born in a Mumbai hospital from surrogacy. Moreover, he has refrained from speaking about the mother’s identity.
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair is showing signs of gray due to his advancing age.
Karan’s sexuality has always been a topic of debate as he was romantically linked to many of his male friends. Although he has hinted towards being gay on several occasions, Karan has neither confirmed nor denied these speculations.
- Sharp sense of style
- Mostly wears black clothes
Karan has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Nescafé Gold
- Johnnie Walker
- Timond Watches (2007)
- Falguni Shane Peacock
- Palm Angels
- Dolce & Gabbana
- IITIIMShaadi.com (2022)
Best Known For
- Directing and producing blockbuster films like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dostana, Raazi, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, Kapoor & Sons, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, etc.
- His celebrity talk show Koffee with Karan in which many Bollywood personalities have made candid confessions leading to several controversies
In 1995, Karan made his theatrical film debut as Rocky, a friend of the protagonist Raj (played by Shah Rukh Khan) in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.
First TV Show
Karan made his TV show debut in 1989 on DD National’s sci-fi fantasy series Indradhanush as Srikant.
It was only after the birth of his twins at the age of 45, that Karan began taking his fitness goals seriously. He started training with celebrity trainer Kunal Gir in May 2017 on the insistence of Ranbir Kapoor. Gir, who has trained celebrities like Rana Daggubati, Tamannaah Bhatia, Ranbir Kapoor, and many others, helped the ace director lose 17 kilos in 4 months.
His training included 30 to 40 minutes of workout sessions, including sweating it out on the treadmill for 6 minutes, 4 times a week. Karan did weight training for 3 days and spent 1 day on a high-intensity cardio pool workout. On days when he couldn’t visit the gym, his trainer offered him alternative exercises which could be done on the go.
Karan excluded carbs and sugar completely from his diet and followed a ratio of 70% proteins and 30% fats. His food intake included organic vegetables, meats, eggs rich in omega-3, and had higher quantities of fiber to help him lose body fat faster. Additionally, his meals were spaced every 3 hours and cooked only in macadamia nut oil. He also gorged on raw nuts and flax seeds and was allowed a cheat meal once a week.
Karan Johar Favorite Things
- Movies – Kabhie Kabhie (1976), Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959), Masoom (1983), Lamhe (1991), Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994), Awaara (1951), Sholay (1975), Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001), Satya (1998), Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006), Chak de! India (2007), Roman Holiday (1953), Titanic (1997), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Blue Valentine (2010)
- Couple Of Indian Cinema – Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh
- Song From The Film Baar Baar Dekho – Teri Khair Mangdi
- Actor – Ranbir Kapoor
- Film That He Has Directed – Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006)
- Author – Ayn Rand, Enid Blyton
- Fictional Hero – Howard Roark from the 1943 novel The Fountainhead
- Book-To-Screen Adaptation – The Bridges of Madison County
- City – New York, London
- Song – Lag Jaa Gale by Lata Mangeshkar (From the 1964 film Woh Kaun Thi?)
- Actress – Sridevi
- Wine – Saint Émilion
- Champagne – Dom Perignon (Pink)
- TV Show – The Golden Girls
- Cuisine – Parsi food
- Fragrance – Creed
- Evening Wear – Velvet Blazer
- Shoemaker – Christian Louboutin
- Cafe – Starbucks
- Restaurant – La Petite Maison in London
Karan Johar Facts
- The first film that Karan ever saw was Roman Holiday in a theater at the age of 6.
- His father Yash Johar had plans of launching him as an actor in one of his films.
- For his role as Kaizad Khambatta in Bombay Velvet (2015), Karan took a signing fee of only Rs.11.
- He got the central idea for his film Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna after watching the 2004 movie Before Sunset during a trip to London.
- Karan was a firm believer in numerology and as a practice used the letter ‘K’ in all his movie titles. After watching Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006) which showcased the ill-effects of numerology, he discontinued the practice.
- He was one of the jury members at the Miss World competition held in Poland in September 2006. He is the first Indian filmmaker to be a part of such a beauty pageant.
- Karan and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were the only two Indians invited to the opening ceremony of the London Olympics in 2012.
- When cricketers Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul appeared on Koffee with Karan in January 2019, their sexist and misogynistic comments on the show were met with severe backlash. Consequently, both the cricketers were suspended from the ongoing series in Australia.
- He has received a Filmfare Award for ‘Best Director’ twice for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1999 and My Name Is Khan in 2011.
- One of his biggest ambitions is to win an Academy Award in his lifetime. He has also perfected his acceptance speech which would say, “This is for you, India.”
- The screenplay of Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna is included in the library of Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- In 2017, Karan attended the World Economic Forum as a cultural leader.
- In 2017, actress Kangana Ranaut appeared on his talk show Koffee with Karan and called him out for being a flagbearer of nepotism in the film industry.
- In December 2014, Karan launched his jewelry line ‘KJo for Gehna’ in collaboration with Gehna Jewellers. The jewelry collection includes lapel pins, cuffs, and palm bracelets, among other things.
- Karan had launched a new vertical Dharma 2.0, under his home banner Dharma Productions, in 2016. The new venture is set to focus exclusively on creating ad films.
- His twin kids, Yash and Roohi, are named after his parents. His son is named after his father, Yash Johar and his daughter’s name is a rearrangement of his mother’s name, Hiroo.
- He published his autobiography An Unsuitable Boy on January 9, 2017.
- Karan is godfather to two of Shah Rukh Khan’s kids – Aryan Khan and Suhana Khan.
- Karan launched his digital content company Dharmatic Entertainment in November 2018.
- In 2016, Karan and Kajol‘s 25-year-long friendship suffered a severe hit as the latter accused him of sabotaging her husband Ajay Devgn‘s film. Incidentally, his film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil clashed with Devgn’s Shivaay at the box office on October 28, 2016. Karan described the entire episode in his autobiography (An Unsuitable Boy), expressing how their friendship was over for good. However, after the birth of his twins, Kajol reached out to him and they decided to bury the hatchet.
- In April 2021, his company Dharma Productions fired Kartik Aaryan from the movie project Dostana 2 due to reportedly ‘unprofessional behavior’. They eventually started re-casting for the film. Overall, this cost his company worth 20 crores of losses. He also unfollowed Kartik on Instagram.
- In August 2021, Karan had purchased a silver-colored Audi A8L car. This car was added to his car collection which also included Mercedes Maybach S500, Jaguar XJL, and BMW 570d.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0