Tobias Vincent Maguire
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Tobey never had much interest in education. He did want to be a chef when he grew up, for which he thought of enrolling for a home-based economics class in his sixth grade. But, the idea was dropped when he enrolled himself for a drama class (after being advised by his mother) instead. He was so focused on his acting career that he later dropped out of his high school to pursue an acting career. However, Tobey, later, completed his GED in 2000.
Actor, Film Producer
- Father – Vincent Maguire (Construction worker and Cook)
- Mother – Wendy (née Brown) (Secretary, who later turned into a producer and a screenwriter)
- Siblings – Vincent Jr. (Half-Brother), Timothy (Half-Brother), Jopaul Epp (Half-Brother), Weston Epp (Half-Brother)
Tobey Maguire’s career is managed by Eric Kranzler of the Management 360 located in Beverly Hills, CA, U.S.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
155 lbs or 71 kg
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tobey Maguire dated –
- Sara Gilbert (1993 – 1996) – Tobey dated actress Sara Gilbert from the sitcom Roseanne for three years until 1996.
- Rashida Jones (1997 – 2000) – Rashida and Tobey had a three-and-a-half year long relationship that ended in the year 2000, prior to Tobey’s famous role as Spiderman.
- Kirsten Dunst (2001) – During the Spiderman movie shooting, Maguire was RUMORed to be dating his co-star, Kirsten Dunst in April 2001. The rumor began when the director Sam Raimi was interviewed and asked about it. However, any sort of such relationship was denied by both of them.
- Demi Moore (2002) – A dating relationship with Demi Moore was also a RUMOR that spread out when Tobey’s career was really escalating.
- Jennifer Meyer (2003 – Present) – Tobey came in contact with Jennifer Meyer, the jewelry designer, in 2003 at Universal Studios during his shooting for the movie Seabiscuit. The two later decided to get engaged in the year 2006. On November 10, 2006, the couple had a daughter who they named, Ruby Sweetheart Maguire. The middle name “Sweetheart” was given to her in the memory of Meyer’s grandmother who had given her that name when she was a child. A few months after Ruby’s birth, Jennifer’s grandmother passed away. Jennifer and Tobey later married on September 3, 2007. The ceremony took place in Kona, Hawaii. Later, on May 8, 2009, they had a boy who was named Otis Tobias Maguire.
Race / Ethnicity
Tobey’s father is of Austrian, Irish, Puerto Rican, French, German, and Danish descent while his mother is of English descent.
- Appears younger than his age
- Recognizable voice
Tobey Maguire’s body measurements may be –
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 30 in or 76 cm
His shoe size is speculated to be 9 (US).
Tobey Maguire did his very first commercial for Doritos when he was in his eighth grade.
He has appeared in several other TV commercials such as for McDonald’s (1990), Atari Lynx, when he was young.
In 2008, he appeared in a “Stand Up To Cancer Dot Org” commercial alongside Keanu Reeves, Morgan Freeman, and Sidney Poitier.
Best Known For
Tobey is best known for playing the role of Spider-Man / Peter Parker in the movie series, Spider-Man (2002, 2004, 2007).
Besides that, he is also recognized for his roles in the comedy–drama Pleasantville (1998), The Cider House Rules (1999), Wonder Boys (2000), Seabiscuit (2003), The Good German (2006), Brothers (2009) and The Great Gatsby (2013).
Tobey first appeared in the adventure comedy-drama movie called The Wizard (1989) for his role as Goon, though, he was not credited for it.
His first credited role was, however, in the movie This Boy’s Life in 1993 as Chuck Bolger.
In between, he had already appeared in lot many TV films and shows. His first television film appearance was in 1989.
First TV Show
Tobey’s first television appearance was in TV film Rodney Dangerfield: Opening Night At Rodney’s Place (1989) as “Boy No. 3.”
But, his debut TV show appearance was in 1990 in situation comedy 1st & Ten where he played the role as Chad in the episode titled “If I Didn’t Play Football.”
Tobey was personally trained by the celebrity fitness trainer, Gregory Joujon-Roche for the Spider-Man series. The workout routine was carried out in a span of six months and consisted of weight-lifting, yoga, martial arts, cardio and healthy dietary habits. Tobey was never regarded as a good choice to play the iconic role of Spider-Man. Critics considered him too small to play that role. However, Tobey was deeply motivated by their criticism which led him to work really hard to achieve a physique fit enough to play the role.
Tobey Maguire Favorite Things
- Food – Tobey loves eating Tofu and nuts which he adds on almost everything that he eats. He also enjoys eating pasta and vegetarian pizza with broccoli toppings. Tobey is a vegan so dislikes eating meat.
- Color – Red
- Game – Chess
Tobey Maguire Facts
- Tobey became a vegan in the year 2009 and has been one since.
- He is a dedicated PETA contributor and was named as the World’s Sexiest Vegetarian in the year 2002 by the same organization.
- Tobey loves to cook and do yoga.
- Tobey was bribed a sum of $100 by his mother to attend drama classes instead of choosing home economics to become a chef.
- Tobey earned $26 million for working in the first two Spider-Man movies.
- He bought a mansion in the Beverly Hills worth $3.5 million with the earnings from the first Spider-Man released in 2002.
- Tobey had to lose 25 pounds for playing Red Pollard in the 2003 movie, Seabiscuit.
- Tobey has been good friends with his Spider-Man co-star Kirsten Dunst. They also had been rumored to be dating with each other, which was declined by both parties.
- Tobey has also tried his luck in Poker in the year 2004. An episode of “Poker After Dark” which aired on June 28, 2007 claimed that Tobey had won an estimated $10 million playing Poker.
- Tobey had been initially cast as Alex Chance Browning in the supernatural thriller film, Final Destination (2000). Moreover, he was also chosen to play the role of Will Turner in the movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).
- Follow Tobey Maguire on Twitter.