|Alexei Popyrin Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 5, 1999|
Alexei Popyrin is an Australian professional tennis player who is adept at both the singles and the doubles formats of the sport having been rated as high as world number 59 in singles in November 2021 and world number 235 in doubles in June 2022, as per the official ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) rankings. At Grand Slam tournaments, in the singles format, Alexei had reached the 3rd round of the Australian Open in 2019, 2020, and 2023, and the 3rd round of the US Open in 2019 and 2021. As of January 2023, he has won a solitary singles title on the ATP Tour – the 2021 Singapore Open (ATP 250). At Grand Slam tournaments, in the doubles format, he had reached the 3rd round of the Australian Open in 2019.
Pop, The Sniper
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
He splits his time between –
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Nice, Alpes-Maritimes, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, France
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Alex Popyrin
- Mother – Elena Popyrin
- Siblings – Anthony Popyrin (Younger Brother) (Tennis Player), Sonia Popyrin (Sister) (Tennis Player), Anna Popyrin (Sister)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alexei has dated –
- Amy Pederick (2019-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Russian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Cheerful smile
- Clean-shaven look
He has been sponsored by –
- Fila Holdings Corp. (sportswear manufacturer based in South Korea)
- Head Sport GmbH (American-Austrian sports equipment manufacturing company)
- Nike, Inc. (American multinational footwear, apparel, and sports equipment brand)
Alexei Popyrin Favorite Things
- Tennis Shot – Forehand
- Tennis Surface – Clay, Hard Court
- Tennis Tournament/Event – Australian Open
- City on the ATP Tour – London
- Tennis Idol/Role Model – Juan Martín del Potro
- Athlete – Usain Bolt
- Sports – Tennis, Basketball, Soccer, Golf
- Sports Teams – Portland Trail Blazers (Basketball), Everton F.C. (Soccer)
- Hobbies/Interests – Playing Video Games, Reading
- Book – Fever (2013) by Mary Beth Keane
- Subject in School – History
- Movie – Total Recall (2012)
- TV Series – Game of Thrones (2011-2019)
- Actor – Johnny Depp
- Musician – Ed Sheeran
- Food – Sushi
Source – ATP Tour
Alexei Popyrin Facts
- Alexei started playing tennis when he was just 4 years old. About 4 years later, he and his family moved to Dubai due to his father’s work commitments.
- When he was about 10 years old, he moved to Alicante, Spain, where fellow Australian tennis player Alex de Minaur was his neighbor for a while.
- In his formative years, besides Australia, Alexei also trained in tennis in Nice, France; Marbella, Spain; and Dubai. Since April 2017, he has trained at the renowned Mouratoglou Academy near Paris. The facility was founded in 1996 by Patrick Mouratoglou, a French tennis coach and sports commentator of Greek descent.
- After reaching the semi-final of the 2017 Australian Open in the boys’ doubles event, he won 22 consecutive matches and 4 consecutive tournaments which included the French Open boys’ singles title in May 2017.
- Alexei was the first Australian player in 49 years to have won the French Open boys’ singles title. The win also helped him reach his peak world ranking of number 2 at the youth tier after which he announced that he would be turning professional.
- At the 2019 Australian Open, he achieved his first win at a Grand Slam tournament (Australian Open/French Open/Wimbledon Championship/US Open) by defeating Mischa Zverev in straight sets. He then upset then world number 8 Dominic Thiem in the 2nd round to notch his first win over a player ranked within the ‘Top 10’ of the official ATP singles rankings.
- 2019 was a breakout year for Alexei as he reached at least the 2nd round of all four Grand Slam tournaments – the 3rd round of the Australian Open, the 2nd round of the French Open, the 2nd round of the Wimbledon Championship, and the 3rd round of the US Open. In 2019, he qualified for the main draw of 10 professional tournaments on the ATP Tour, tying the single-season record set by Mischa Zverev in 2016.
- In February 2021, at the Singapore Open, he stunned Marin Čilić in the semi-final, his first singles semi-final on the ATP Tour. Alexei then defeated Alexander Bublik in the final to win his first title (singles or doubles) on the ATP Tour after which he achieved a career-high singles ranking of 82.
- At the 2023 Australian Open, he upset then-world number 9 Taylor Fritz in the 2nd round in a grueling 5-setter (6–7(4-7), 7–6(7-2) 6–4, 6–7(6-8), 6–2). It was just his 4th win over a player ranked within the ‘Top 10’ of the official ATP singles rankings.
- A polyglot, Alexei is fluent in English, Russian, and Spanish.
Featured Image by Alexei Popyrin / Instagram