|Antonique Smith Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 11, 1983|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Antonique Smith is an American Grammy-nominated singer and writer who earned critical acclaim with the release of her debut solo single Hold Up Wait a Minute (Woo Woo) (2013). Besides that, she has also released a number of other notable tracks such as Higher (Let Your Guard Down) (2015), Got What I Need (2015), All We Really Have Is Now (2015), and Here Comes the Sun (2017). On the other hand, she is a mesmerizing actress as well who caught the attention of the public with her prominent role as rapper and singer The Notorious B.I.G.’s wife, Faith Evans in the 2009 film Notorious. Thereafter, she appeared in a number of other TV shows and films including Yelling to the Sky (2011), Abduction (2011), Deuces (2016), Shots Fired (2017), Luke Cage (2018), and Sacred Lies (2018). With time, she has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 200k followers on Instagram, more than 100k followers on Twitter, and more than 150k followers on Facebook.
East Orange, New Jersey, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Antonique studied at the Eastern Christian High School in New Jersey.
- Father – Tony Smith
- Mother – Yolanda Smith
- Siblings – Antonia Smith (Younger Sister)
Antonique is represented by Darryl Farmer of 9:23 Management.
R&B, Pop, Musicals, Soul
Antonique has released her music with 9:23 Music & Media Group LLC and Hip Hop Caucus.
5 ft 3½ in or 161 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Antonique has dated –
- Nas (2011) – In 2011, rapper, entrepreneur, and investor Nas rapped about finding Antonique in his single titled Nasty, hence, sparking rumors about the two goings out with one another. However, during an interview with HipHollywood, Antonique was asked about the speculations and she, in turn, stated that “he’s just my friend.”
Race / Ethnicity
She has African-American ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Afro hairstyle
- Pear shaped
- Wide smile
Through her social media, she has either endorsed or promoted various brands such as –
- Ford Foundation
Best Known For
- Being nominated for a Grammy Award for “Best Traditional R&B Performance” for her debut single Hold Up Wait a Minute (Woo Woo) (2013)
- Releasing various other hit tracks such as Higher (Let Your Guard Down) (2015), Got What I Need (2015), All We Really Have Is Now (2015), and Here Comes the Sun (2017)
- Being cast as singer, songwriter, and actress Faith Evans in the biographical drama Notorious in 2009
- Starring as Ola Katherine O’Hara in Yelling to the Sky (2011), Burns in Abduction (2011), Tanya in Deuces (2016), Kiana Ward in Shots Fired (2017), Detective Nandi Tyler in Marvel’s Luke Cage (2018), and Sacred Lies (2018)
- Working alongside various well-known actors like Mike Colter, Simone Missick, Theo Rossi, Jason Beghe, Jesse Lee Soffer, Patrick John Flueger, Jamal Woolard, Anthony Mackie, and Derek Luke
As a Singer
Antonique released her debut single titled Hold Up Wait a Minute (Woo Woo) on October 22, 2013.
Since then, Smith released a number of other tracks such as Higher (Let Your Guard Down) (2015) and Here Comes the Sun (2017) with singer and songwriter Jeremih.
On November 20, 2015, she released an EP titled Love Is Everything. It was compiled of a total of 6 tracks including Got What I Need, Take a Chance, Hold Up Wait a Minute (Woo Woo), Higher (Let Your Guard Down), All We Really Have Is Now, and Here Comes the Sun.
Antonique made her debut theatrical film appearance as a “Hooker” in director Julie Taymor’s Across the Universe in 2007. She was cast alongside the likes of actor Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, and Joe Anderson.
First TV Show
Smith made her first TV show appearance on the drama series, 100 Centre Street in 2002.
Smith has a well-toned and conditioned physique, hence, making it safe to say that she does go to the gym where she could be doing intense weight and cardio training.
As for her diet, she does enjoy eating junk food like burgers and drinking sugary coffee. However, Antonique makes sure to consume them moderately.
Antonique Smith Favorite Things
- Romper – By designer K. Nicole
- Classic Song – Lauryn Hill‘s Ex-Factor (1998)
- Person In The World – Her sister Antonia Smith
- Broadway Show – Rent
- Movie – The Godfather (1972), The Color Purple (1985)
- Song – Let It Be (1970) by The Beetles
- Place – Six Flags
- Book To Read – The Bible
Antonique Smith Facts
- She was raised in a household of Christian beliefs in New Jersey.
- Antonique became obsessed with singing after she heard singer and songwriter Whitney Houston’s voice for the very first time.
- Her first acclaimed acting role was with the rock musical Broadway production of Rent by Jonathan Larson.
- During her younger days, she would stop people while walking in the mall to sing for them. Antonique also once prayed to God to get a good voice.
- She was 11 years old when her voice finally developed. Thereafter, her parents took her to a studio to do her first demo recording.
- Singing is her first love. Smith had aimed to become a singer when she grew up.
- During her teenage years, she struggled with depression.
- She was discovered by acting agent Kim Matuka in New York.
- In 2009, she was featured as The Notorious B.I.G‘s wife singer, songwriter, and actress Faith Evans in the biographical drama titled Notorious.
- She developed her vocals skills while singing for her church choir growing up. Whereas, her passion for acting started at an early age while she participated in various school productions.
- Antonique looks up to the legendary singer and songwriter Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, and Mariah Carey to be her childhood heroes. She is also a huge fan of music artists like Prince, Coldplay, Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Beyoncé.
- She lived around the corner where the actor and rapper Treach resided.
- It was director Sidney Lumet who gave Antonique her first shot at acting.
- She is good friends with Montse Andrée. They also had a mutual friend named Tommy who committed suicide.
- Her sister is a special needs person.
- She had no prior acting experience besides plays in school.
- Antonique is the first African-American to make $50 000 on a Kickstarter label after being rejected by various other recording labels.
- She is a climate change and pollution activist. In the past, she even did a 20 city tour to spread knowledge about the disaster that humans are creating for themselves.
- Her family’s love is what helped her rise from her darkest and saddest days.
- Antonique’s guilty pleasure is a meal at In-N-Out Burger. She also goes there to get by a bad day.
- She loves playing video games
- Smith is not an avid reader as she feels very sleepy and does not find them interesting.
- Visit her website @ antonique.com.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, and YouTube.
Featured Image By Antonique Smith / Instagram