|Børns Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||January 7, 1992|
Børns is an American singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. His discography consists of albums and tracks like Dopamine, God Save Our Young Blood (with Lana Del Rey), Blue Madonna, Wasting My Time, Beyond the Coal, Electric Love, Deadbolt, Seeing Stars, 10,000 Emerald Pools, Faded Heart, American Money, Sweet Dreams, and I Don’t Want U Back.
Garrett Clark Borns
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Børns went to the White Pines Middle School. At the age of 13, his drawings helped him win the National Scholastic Art Awards and an $8,000 college scholarship to the Kendall College of Art and Design.
When he was 14 years old, he got enrolled in a summer program at Michigan’s Interlochen Center for the Arts. He later studied at the Grand Haven High School in his hometown.
Børns took classical piano classes at Grand Rapids Community College. He also took jazz classes at Muskegon Community College.
Singer, Songwriter, Multi-instrumentalist
- Father – His father has worked in the graphic design field.
- Mother – Cheryl Louise “Cheri” Borns (Nutritionist)
- Siblings – He has a sister.
Børns has been managed by Lexi Ben-Meir of Connect Music Management.
He has also been represented by –
- Tom Windish and Christine Cao of Paradigm Agency
- Alex Hardee of Coda Agency
Indie Pop, Psychedelic Pop, Alternative Rock, Synth-pop, Electropop
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Ukulele
- Interscope Records
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Long hair
- Androgynous style sense, which includes a penchant for wearing crop tops
- Garrett Børns has been signed up by Calvin Klein to head their promotion campaigns.
- Also, after he turned up in Gucci inspired outfit for his appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, the popular fashion brand decided to enter into an official endorsement partnership with him.
- He appeared in a commercial for Chrysler in 2015.
- His songs have been used in commercials for brands like Apple iPhone and L.L.Bean.
Best Known For
- The popularity of his single, Electric Love, which also holds the distinction of being his first song to achieve ‘platinum’ certification
- Having performed with established music artists such as Lana Del Rey, Halsey, and Charli XCX on music tours
In October 2015, he released his debut studio album, Dopamine. The album was well received by the critics and peaked at number #2 on the US Billboard Alternative Albums chart as well as the US Billboard Top Rock Albums chart, at number #24 on the US Billboard 200 chart, and at number #56 on the Canadian Albums Chart.
It consists of songs like Fool, Electric Love, Dug My Heart, Clouds, Past Lives, Holy Ghost, The Emotion, and Overnight Sensation.
First TV Show
In January 2015, Garrett Børns made his first TV show appearance on the comedy talk show, Conan, which is hosted by the comedy icon Conan O’Brien.
Børns Favorite Things
- Current Music Artist – Petite Meller
- Style Icons – David Bowie‘s Thin White Duke era and his adolescence in the ’90s
- Prized Possession – Jean and leather Gucci jackets with embroidered flowers, lions, and birds on the back
- Song Of Dopamine – Dug My Heart, Overnight Sensation
- He started taking piano lessons at the age of 10.
- Initially, he had moved to New York City from his hometown of Grand Haven to focus on his music career. However, he wasn’t still satisfied with the atmosphere and decided to move to Los Angeles before the release of his album, Dopamine.
- By the age of 10, he was performing as a magician under his professional name “Garrett the Great”. He mostly used to perform at parties and used to get paid for his performances.
- While studying in high school, he used to perform with the cover band called Brown Chicken Brown Trout. They even put up a performance at the Waterfront Film Festival in 2010. He later collaborated with drummer Scott Pellegrom and guitarist Kevin Kozel to form The Garrett Borns Trio. They even released an EP titled A Dream Between in 2012.
- His androgynous appearance and vocals have often led to many mistaking him for a woman after listening to or seeing him for the first time.
- He is one of the leading proponents of the Gender Bender movement. He often flaunts his nail polish and his stylish woman-inspired style on his official social media account and during his performances.
- Børns has often collaborated with singer and songwriter Zella Day, who used to be his roommate in his early days in Los Angeles.
- Like most of his family members, he is a vegetarian.
- His interest in fashion dates back to his early teens as he used to print on shirts with bleach and distress his clothes when he was in middle school.
- On January 12, 2018, he released his 2nd studio album titled Blue Madonna via Interscope Records. The album peaked at number #3 on the US Top Alternative Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #6 on the US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) chart, and at number #49 on the US Billboard 200 chart.
- When he was finding his feet in the music industry, he was roped in to support various established music artists and groups such as The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons.
- He was accused of s*xual misconduct by several young women in September 2018 and it led to a Washington D.C. music festival named “All Things Go Fall Classic” dropping him from its lineup. He later released a statement saying the allegations were “disturbing and false”, and also said that “All of the relationships I have had were legal and consensual. They ended abruptly and that obviously caused hurt feelings, but for anyone to suggest anything beyond that is irresponsible.”
- Visit his official website @ bornsmusic.com.
Featured Image by digboston / Flickr / CC BY-2.0