EXO is an award-winning boy band that debuted with South Korean and Chinese musicians in 2012. They release their music in Korean, Mandarin, and Japanese languages and are popular for songs like Growl, Ko Ko Bop, Monster, Call Me Baby, Lucky One, etc. Their strong global fanbase has earned them the title of ‘Kings of K-pop’ by the media.
- Byun Baek-hyun
- Kim Jong-dae
- Yixing Zhang
- Oh Se-hun
- Park Chanyeol
- Do Kyung-soo
- Kim Jong-in
Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, R&B, Dance-pop, EDM, Hip Hop, Electropop
- SM Entertainment
- Avex Trax
- Their debut album XOXO (2013), featuring the smash-hits Growl and Wolf, has sold more than 1 million records.
- Exodus (2015), the band’s 2nd album, peaked at #1 on the US Billboard World Albums Chart.
- Like their previous 3 albums, their 4th album The War (2017) also crossed over 1 million record sales, making EXO a quadruple million-seller.
- Don’t Mess Up My Tempo (2018) was certified ‘Million’ by the KMCA.
- Obsession (2019) claimed the #1 spot on the South Korean Albums Chart and US Billboard World Albums Chart.
- The group debuted with 12 members before settling as a 9-member boy band.
- Over the years, EXO has had numerous sub-units like Exo-K (Suho, Baek-hyun, Chanyeol, Do Kyung-soo, Kim Jong-in, Se-hun), Exo-M (Kris Wu, Xiumin, Yixing Zhang, Kim Jong-dae, Luhan, Tao), Exo-SC (Chanyeol, Se-hun), and Exo-CBX (Kim Jong-dae, Baek-hyun, Xiumin).
- In 2018, their song Power received the distinction of being the 1st K-pop song to be played at The Dubai Fountain at the Burj Khalifa Lake in Dubai.
- Their fandom is collectively known as ‘EXO-L’ and the individual fans are called ‘Stars/Aeris’.
- Each EXO member received an individual commemorative medal from the Korean Mint Corporation in 2018.
- Their group name stands for ‘Exoplanet’.
- They earned a place in the 2018 Guinness World Records list for winning the most number of daesangs (prestigious awards) at the Mnet Asian Music Awards.
- In June 2023, it was confirmed that Baekhyun, Chen, and Xiumin had ended their contracts with SM Entertainment.
- In June 2023, EXO released a new song titled Let Me In.
- In June 2023, EXO released the music video of their new song, Hear Me Out.
- In July 2023, the group released a new album titled Exist.
Featured Image by Korea.net / Korean Culture and Information Service (Cheong Wa Dae) / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0