|Genelia D’Souza Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||August 5, 1987|
Genelia D’Souza is an Indian actress and model who is best known for her appearance in the Telugu, Hindi, and Tamil film industry. The aesthetic established actress has appeared in numerous films including blockbusters like Tujhe Meri Kasam (2003), Satyam (2003), Bommarillu (2006), Dhee (2007), Santosh Subramaniam (2008), Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na (2008), Katha (2009), and Urumi (2011). She has also worked with some of the biggest names such as Riteish Deshmukh, Sumanth, Siddharth, Prakash Raj, Om Puri, Imran Khan, Shahid Kapoor, John Abraham, Rana Daggubati, Salman Khan, and Suniel Shetty. Besides that, she is also known for being the brand ambassador of various multinational brands such as Fanta, Virgin Mobile India, Fastrack, and LG mobiles.
Besides all the glam, Genelia is also for being part of many controversies such as being married to actor John Abraham during their shoot for Force (2011). She has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 6 million followers on Twitter and more than 3 million followers on Instagram.
Teenage Superstar of Bollywood, Cheenu, Geenu
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Genelia attended the Apostolic Carmel High School in Bandra, before joining St. Andrew’s College, from where she attained her degree in Management Studies.
- Father – Neil D’Souza (Senior Official With Tata Consultancy Services)
- Mother – Jeanette D’Souza (Former Managing Director For A Pharmaceutical MNC)
- Siblings – Nigel D’Souza (Younger Brother) (Employee at the Bombay Stock Exchange)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Genelia has dated –
- John Abraham (2011) – With the release of Force (2011), the co-stars fell into the limelight for an unforeseen and shocking reason of getting married to one another during the filming of marriage scene for the film. In the scene, John and Genelia were to be recited the rituals by an acting pandit but instead the casting team had called upon a real pandit to do the rituals to make the scene look even more real. Unaware of the rolling camera, the pandit completed the rituals and blessed them as well. However, upon hearing about the news of Genelia and actor Riteish Deshmukh’s wedding, Bhagwat, who read the rituals out stormed into the office of the producer of the film to complain about the matter. The pandit had stated that the mantras that he had read out were that of those done at real weddings.
- Riteish Deshmukh (2003-Present) – Actor Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D’Souza met one another for the very first time in 2003 for the shoot of director K. Vijaya Bhaskar’s Tujhe Meri Kasam. Ever since then, rumors about the duo dating one another flourished the tabloids. However, Genelia denied the speculations stating “I’m single, Riteish is just a friend,” in an interview with the Hindustan Times. Riteish’s father, former Chief Minister of Maharastra Vilasrao Deshmukh was said to have refused to accept the couple’s engagement at the time. Nevertheless, the duo finally came clean about their relationship and got married on February 3, 2012. The marriage took place in both Marathi and Christian traditions. 2 years later, on November 25, 2014, the couple had their first child, a boy named Riaan. They had their 2nd child, also a boy named Rahyl on June 1, 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Konkani heritage.
- Wide smile
- Thin lips
- Protruding eyes
Genelia has appeared in commercials for various brands such as –
- Parker Pen Company (Alongside Actor Amitabh Bachchan)
- Fair & Lovely 2003 Cricket World Cup (Alongside Cricketer Krishnamachari Srikkanth)
- Spinz Black Magic
- Ceres Store
- Parker Pen
- Alkem Laboratories
- Virgin Mobile India
Through her social media, Genelia has done endorsement work various brands including OnePlus.
Best Known For
- Being cast as Anjali in Tujhe Meri Kasam (2003), Ankitha in Satyam (2003), Hasini Rao in Bommarillu (2006), Puja in Dhee (2007), Hasini Govindan in Santosh Subramaniam (2008), Aditi Mahant in Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na (2008), Chitra Singh in Katha (2009), and Arakkal Ayesha in Urumi (2011), and Maya in Force (2011)
- Working with well-known celebrities like Shahid Kapoor, John Abraham, Salman Khan, Om Puri, Rajpal Yadav, Rana Daggubati, Sonakshi Sinha, Riteish Deshmukh, Sumanth, Siddharth, Prakash Raj, Imran Khan, and Suniel Shetty
- Being the face of various brands such as Fanta, Perk, Virgin Mobile India, Fastrack, LG, Garnier Light, Dabur Vatika, Margo, and Spinz
Genelia made her debut Hindi theatrical film appearance as Anjali in Tujhe Meri Kasam in 2003. It was brought to life under the direction of well-known Telugu film director K. Vijaya Bhaskar.
She made her first Tamil theatrical film appearance as Harini in Boys in 2003. The film also featured actors Siddharth, Bharath, Nakul, Manikandan, and Sai Srinivas Thaman
She made her debut Telugu theatrical film appearance as Ankitha in Satyam in 2003. She worked along with the likes of actor Sumanth.
First TV Show
Genelia made her debut TV show appearance as a host for UTV Bindass’s Big Switch in 2009.
Though not much is known about Genelia’s workout routine, it is safe to say that she does put in a moderate number of hours into maintaining her well-toned physique. She has also been the sporty kind of girl ever since she was in college. Genelia is a state-level athlete and sprinter. Also contributing to her fit and healthy lifestyle back then was her career as a national level football player.
As for her diet, she prefers to consume everything but in moderation. She enjoys eating egg whites and avoids consuming too much of oily food.
Genelia once stated in an interview, that she was lucky to have been blessed with clear skin. Hence, that explains the actresses spotless cuteness. However, she makes sure to clean, tone, and moisturize her skin on a daily basis. She also uses strong cleansing milk to remove her make up before going to bed. Besides that, she also uses a kind of spray to hydrate her skin and a strong sunscreen to prevent her skin from getting tanned.
Apart from that, Genelia also drinks plenty of water and eats a lot of fruits and vegetables and also applies a fresh cream face pack along with Multani mitti to keep her skin moisturized and glowing.
As for her makeup routine, she prefers to use natural products and just a brush, lip gloss, and kohl for her day look.
Genelia also enjoys going for hair spa’s every now and then to maintain her silky long hair. Besides that, her hair care regimen also includes washing her hair with warm water and then rinsing it out with cold water in order to trap moisture in it. She also goes for regular trims and occasional coloring. She also seldom applies some olive oil to her hair.
Genelia D’Souza Favorite Things
- Film – Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
- Director – Imtiaz Ali
- Actor – Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan
- Actress – Madhuri Dixit, Kajol
- Singer – Madonna
- Food – Indian, Homemade
- Hairstylists – Kanta from Chroma Care, Ayesha from Nalini
- Makeup Artist – Anil Chinnappa, Cory Wallia
Source – Mumbai Mirror
Genelia was part of a huge controversy that revolved around the killing of Tamilian civilians during the conflict between the Sri Lanka Army and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009. In June 2010, the “2010 IIFA Awards” event was being held in Colombo and many Indian actors from the film industry bailed on the event due to conflict. However, after Riteish Deshmukh was spotted at the event, the Tamil and Kollywood associations got upset and asked that her films be banned from cinemas and release.
In November 2011, the Movies Artistes’ Association (MAA) stated that they would be imposing a ban on Genelia by the end of the month if she did not sign up for a lifetime membership. The members of the association also told the press that they would co-operate with her lackadaisical nature. However, when the actress was asked for a statement, she said “I haven’t been banned. On the contrary, I always maintain that I am so proud to be a part of 5 film industries.” She also added “I’m already a part of the South Indian Association for Movie Artistes, and I believed every south industry fell under that. There’s been some miscommunication, but my manager and I will sort it out.”
Genelia D’Souza Facts
- She was raised in a well-to-do family in the Bandra suburb of Mumbai alongside her younger brother Neil.
- Genelia’s family is originally from the Konkan.
- Her first name Genelia is a linguistic blend of her mother Jeanette and father Neil’s first name.
- She was 15 years old and in college when she made her debut theatrical appearance alongside her now-husband Riteish Deshmukh and actress Shriya Saran in romantic and drama film Tujhe Meri Kasam in 2003. Initially, she had refused the offer to focus on her studies but through 2 months of convincing, Genelia finally decided to shoot after viewing the Telugu version of the film which was titled Niram (1999).
- In the past, Genelia worked with an MNC and despite being cast as an actress, she wanted to continue her office job rather than acting.
- During her college years, Genelia would compete in various sports. Besides that, she had also attained the position of a state-level athlete and sprinter. Genelia is also a national level football (soccer) player. Besides that, she was also very focused on her studies.
- Genelia began her modeling stint around the same age as she had started acting. Her first assignment being alongside the legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan for Parker Pen Company. However, the budding actress refused to take it up at first. But, after being convinced and the commercial was broadcast, Amitabh was all praises about her saying “she was good, and her expressions were spontaneous.” This was also where she got her breakthrough moment.
- After not having attained much success with her Bollywood films Tujhe Meri Kasam (2003) and Masti (2004), Genelia had switched to doing Telugu cinema. However, after almost a 5-year hiatus, she returned to Bollywood in 2008 with her film Mere Baap Pehle Aap.
- She has walked the ramp for various highly regarded designers including Ishita Singh, Farah Khan Ali, and Manish Malhotra. She and actor Tushar Kapoor walked for Manish at the Lakme Fashion Week 2009.
- Genelia judged the grande finale of the Gladrags Mega Model and Manhunt 2009 contest.
- She was one of the many celebrities who performed at the Pantaloons Femina Miss India 2009 finale.
- In 2010, she took part in the “Dream House” challenge by eBay. She had sorted a budget of INR 450 000. However, on the account of children’s day, Genelia started an auction to raise money for the non-profit government foundation called Aseema.
- Genelia was titled as CNBC Awaaz’s “Brand Ambassador of the Year” in June 2010. She had been endorsing 9 brands at the time.
- In 2012, Genelia was listed in the “Limca Book of World Records” for delivering 4 hit films in 4 different languages in the same year. The movies were Ready (Telugu) (2008), Satya in Love (Kannada) (2008), Santosh Subramaniam (Tamil) (2008), and Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na (Hindi) (2008).
- She has replaced various stars like Rani Mukherjee as the face of Fanta and Preity Zinta for Perk. Nevertheless, Genelia has also joined actor Ranbir Kapoor to represent Virgin Mobile India and actor John Abraham and Abhay Deol for LG mobiles. Besides that, she has also endorsed the brands Garnier, Dabur, Margo, Spinz.
- She is a very religious person and strongly believes in reciting the Holy Rosary every evening. On the other hand, Genelia also goes to Sunday Mass at St. Anne’s Parish without fail.
- She enjoys spending time with her family as well as some me-time.
- The most memorable day for Genelia was when she got her dog, Pepper.
- She feels most comfortable in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC-BY-3.0