|Iko Uwais Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6¼ in|
|Date of Birth||February 12, 1983|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Iko Uwais is an Indonesian actor, stuntman, fight choreographer, and martial artist who is known for having been a part of several movies such as Merantau, The Raid, Man of Tai Chi, The Raid 2, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Headshot, Beyond Skyline, Mile 22, The Night Comes for Us, Stuber, Triple Threat, Snake Eyes, and Fistful of Vengeance.
Iko Uwais started taking training in Pencak Silat, which is an Indonesian martial arts style, at the age of 5 at the Tiga Berantai Silat School in Jakarta. His uncle was the master of the school.
Actor, Stuntman, Fight Choreographer, Martial Artist
- Father – Mustapha Kamaluddin
- Mother – Maisyaroh Kamluddin
- Others – H. Achmad Bunawar (Grandfather) (Master of silat, Founder of a silat school)
Iko Uwais has been represented by Beverly Hills-based Management 360.
His net worth has been $4 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 6¼ in or 168 cm
65 kg or 143 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Iko Uwais has dated –
- Jane Shalimar – Iko Uwais has previously dated Indonesian actor Jane Shalimar. It is reported that they were together till 2011, while they were shooting for the movie, The Raid.
- Audy Item (2012-Present) – After dating for some time, Iko got married to singer Audy Item in June 2012. Over the course of their marriage, they have welcomed a baby girl named Atreya Syahla Putri Uwais into their family. Their 2nd daughter is named Aneska Layla Putri Uwais.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Betawi ancestry.
- Short Stature
- Athletic body
Iko Uwais has used his social media reach to endorse a couple of products including hair care brand Head & Shoulders. He has also appeared in a TV commercial for Head & Shoulders.
Best Known For
- Having appeared in the leading roles in the action movies such as Merantau, The Raid, The Raid 2, and Headshot
- Being cast in the action movie Triple Threat, which also had Tony Jaa and Tiger Chen in important roles
In 2009, he made his theatrical film debut in the martial arts movie, Merantau. This role got him nominated at the 2010 Indonesian Movie Awards in the “Best Newcomer Actor” and “Favorite Newcomer Actor” categories.
Iko Uwais works out regularly to keep his skills and fitness sharp. Every day after waking up, he performs a series of pushups. He also practices some choreography-style moves. Depending on how much time he has on his schedule, he practices silat for about 3 to 5 hours daily. He usually trains with Yayan Ruhian, who pushes Iko to his limits.
When it comes to diet, he doesn’t eat anything special. In fact, he claims that he eats everything including chicken fried rice, veggies, and fruits. Also, he has a habit of having hot tea every day in the morning.
Iko Uwais Favorite Things
- Kung Fu Movies – Armour of God (1987), Police Story (1985), Only The Strong (1993), Tom Yum Goong (2005), The Karate Kid (1984), Mr. Nice Guy (1997), The Karate Kid (2010), Danny The Dog (2005)
- Music – Arabic music by Egyptian singer Amr Diab
- Onscreen Martial Artists – Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa, and Mark Dacascos
Source – Kung Fu Kingdom
Iko Uwais Facts
- Uwais was discovered by Welsh screenwriter and director Gareth Evans in 2007 while he was making a documentary on silat. They had met at Iko’s training hall.
- When he started his acting career, he was working as an operational driver for an Indonesian telecom company, Esia.
- He appeared as Rama (one of the rookie members of the special forces unit tasked with raiding Tama’s building) in the 2011 action thriller film The Raid and this performance got him nominated for an Indonesian Movie Award for “Best Chemistry” (shared with Donny Alamsyah).
- He used to play soccer for a local Jakarta-based club.
- He won the JawaPos Group Award for “Actor of the Year” in 2016.
- Alongside Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen, Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White, Michael Bisping, Celina Jade, and Jeeja Yanin, he co-starred as Jaka in the 2019 action film Triple Threat.
- He is known to have a phobia of Kerupuk Putih, which is a popular Indonesian snack.
- In 2019, he started playing the role of Kai Jin (the main protagonist and a Chinese-Indonesian chef in San Francisco’s Chinatown who learns that he is the last of the Wu Assassins) in the Netflix supernatural action series Wu Assassins. His co-stars for the project included Byron Mann, Lewis Tan, Lawrence Kao, Celia Au, Li Jun Li, Tommy Flanagan, and Katheryn Winnick.
- He brought to life the character of Hard Master (a formidable mentor of the Arashikage clan and uncle of Tommy) in the 2021 superhero film Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (or simply Snake Eyes).
- He co-starred as Kai Jin in the 2022 supernatural action-thriller film Fistful of Vengeance.
Featured Image by Sachyn Mital / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0