Iko Uwais started taking training in Pencak Silat, which is an Indonesian martial arts style, at the age of 5 at the Tiga Berantai Silat School in Jakarta. His uncle was the master of the school.
Actor, Stuntman, Fight Choreographer, Martial Artist
- Father – Mustapha Kamaluddin
- Mother – Maisyaroh Kamluddin
- Siblings – Unknown
- Others – H. Achmad Bunawar (Grandfather) (Master of silat, Founder of a silat school)
Iko Uwais is represented by Beverly Hills-based Management 360.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
65 kg or 143 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Iko Uwais has dated –
- Jane Shalimar – Iko Uwais has previously dated Indonesian actress Jane Shalimar. It is reported that they were together till 2011, while they were shooting for the movie, The Raid.
- Audy Item (2012-Present) – After dating for some time, Iko got married to singer Audy Item in June 2012. Over the course of their marriage, they have welcomed a baby girl named Atreya Syahla Putri Uwais into their family.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Betawi ancestry.
- Short Stature
- Athletic body
Iko Uwais has used his social media reach to endorse a couple of products including hair care brand Head & Shoulders. He has also appeared in a TV commercial for Head & Shoulders.
He hasn’t spoken about his religious views publicly.
Best Known For
- Having appeared in the leading roles in the action movies such as Merantau, The Raid, The Raid 2, and Headshot.
- Being cast in the action movie Triple Threat, which also had Tony Jaa and Tiger Chen in important roles.
In 2009, he made his theatrical film debut in the martial arts movie, Merantau.
First TV Show
Iko Uwais hasn’t appeared on any TV show till date.
Iko Uwais works out regularly to keep his skills and fitness sharp. Every day after waking up, he performs a series of pushups. He also practices some choreography style moves. Depending on how much time he has on his schedule, he practices silat for about 3 to 5 hours daily. He usually trains with Yayan Ruhian, who pushes Iko to his limits.
When it comes to diet, he doesn’t eat anything special. In fact, he claims that he eats everything including chicken fried rice, veggies, and fruits. Also, he has a habit of having a hot tea every day in the morning.
Iko Uwais Favorite Things
- Kung Fu Movies – Armour of God (1987), Police Story (1985), Only The Strong (1993), Tom Yum Goong (2005), The Karate Kid (1984), Mr. Nice Guy (1997), The Karate Kid (2010), Danny The Dog (2005)
- Music – Arabic music by Egyptian singer Amr Diab
- Onscreen Martial Artists – Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa, and Mark Dacascos
Source – Kung Fu Kingdom
Iko Uwais Facts
- Uwais was discovered by Welsh screenwriter and director Gareth Evans in 2007 while he was making a documentary on silat. They had met at Iko’s training hall.
- When he started his acting career, he was working as an operational driver for an Indonesian telecom company, Esia.
- He used to play soccer for a local Jakarta-based club.
- He is known to have a phobia to Kerupuk Putih, which is a popular Indonesian snack.
- Follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Sachyn Mital / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0