Jermaine Lamarr Cole
J. Cole, Blaza, Therapist
Frankfurt, West Germany
J. Cole graduated from Terry Sanford High School with 4.2 GPA, which helped him get a scholarship from St. John’s University in New York City. By then, Cole was already planning to move to New York City for the sake of his music career, so he joined St. John’s.
Initially, he had selected computer science as his major. But after getting unnerved by his computer science professor’s lonely existence, he decided to major in communication and business. In 2007, he graduated from the university with 3.8 GPA.
Rapper, singer, record producer, songwriter
- Father – was a former US army veteran.
- Mother – worked as a postal worker for the United States Postal Service
- Siblings – Zach Cole (Brother)
J. Cole is represented by ICM Partners.
Vocals, piano, guitar
Columbia Records, ByStorm (Former)
Interscope, Dreamville Records, Roc Nation
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
J. Cole has dated –
- Melissa Heholt (2006-Present) – J. Cole started going out with wedding planner Melissa Heholt while studying at St. John’s University. They have had a very tumultuous relationship with rumors flying around that Cole had cheated on his girlfriend several times. Also, Cole has proposed to Melissa on three different occasions. The first proposal came in 2010 when he couldn’t afford a ring for her. He then proposed to her via Twitter. The final proposal came in 2015 with a four-carat diamond ring. In a 2016 interview, he revealed that they have got married and have welcomed a baby daughter into their family.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he is of American African origin, whereas his mother is of White German descent.
- Long Face
- Tall and athletic body
J. Cole has been seen in commercials about Adidas, Nike, Hillary Clinton (2016), Sprite, etc.
His religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
The great commercial success and critical acclaim he got for Born Sinner and 2014 Forest Hills Drive.
In September 2011, he released his debut studio album, Cole World: The Sideline Story. It reached #1 on Billboard 200 with 772,000 album sales in the US.
He made his film debut in a comedy documentary Dave Chappelle‘s Block Party as himself in 2005. His role was uncredited.
His first appearance in a theatrical film was in the 2009 release Spicy Mac Project for his role as Genius Wrapper.
First TV Show
Apart from award shows and concerts, J. Cole made his TV show debut in the talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live! in 2012 as himself.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
J. Cole Favorite Things
- New Yorker – Tupac Shakur
- Meals Eaten In New York – Lobster mac and cheese at Catch Restaurant on Ninth Avenue
- Drink – Hennessy and Coke
- Medication – NyQuil
- Rappers – Tupac Shakur, Nas, Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G., Eminem
J. Cole Facts
- Despite graduating in 2007, J. Cole didn’t officially receive his degree until 2015 as he owed university money for a library book.
- Before making it big in the music industry, he took a number of menial jobs such as working as a file clerk, a bill collector, advert salesman for a newspaper and a mascot at a skating rink.
- J. Cole started rapping at the age of 15 by joining a rap group, Bomm Sheltuh. His group members, Nervous Reck and FilthE Ritch became his mentors.
- While starting out, he used to call himself Blaza. When his band members Bomm Sheltuh asked him to drop Blaza, he ended up with The Therapist before eventually honing on J. Cole.
- He started producing music at the age of 15 after his mother gifted him an ASR-X musical on a Christmas Eve.
- J. Cole was born at the United States army base in Frankfurt, Germany.
- While growing up, he used to work as a first chair violinist with the Terry Sanford Orchestra which he left in 2003.
- While studying at the St. John’s University, he was the president of the pan-African student coalition called Haraya.
- While studying at the university, he used to work as a kids’ basketball coach in Queens to earn some extra money.
- In 2010, he co-founded Dreamville Records in collaboration with Ibrahim Hamad.
- In October 2011, he established The Dreamville Foundation, a charitable organization which focusses on empowering Fayetteville youth and supporting them to get better career opportunities.
- Follow J. Cole on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, and Myspace.