Janelle Monáe Robinson
Kansas City, Kansas, United States
Janelle Monae went to the F. L. Schlagle High School in Kansas City.
Post that, she started studying drama at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City on a scholarship basis. However, she didn’t complete her studies there as she dropped out claiming that her creativity was stifled at the institute.
She was also enrolled at the performing arts camp named, Freedom Theatre.
Singer, Songwriter, Music producer, Actress, Model
- Father – Michael Robinson Summers (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Worked as a janitor
- Siblings – None
Janelle Monae is represented by
- Paradigm Talent Agency
- William Morris Endeavor
Psychedelic soul, R&B, funk, soul, pop, art rock
Wondaland, Epic, Bad Boy, Atlantic Records
5 ft or 152 cm
52 kg or 115 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Janelle Monae has dated –
- Lewis Hamilton (2015) – Janelle was reported to be seeing British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton in 2015 after they were spotted together in Paris attending numerous events during the Paris Fashion Week. However, Janelle being her private self didn’t say anything about her supposed new boyfriend.
- Tessa Thompson (2018-Present) – In April 2018, when the music video of PYNK (by Janelle) was released, the fans considered Janelle and Tessa were indeed dating. Later, Tessa clearly told Porter magazine that she and Jannelle are private persons. She didn’t accept nor denied the relationship rumors.
Race / Ethnicity
Her penchant for flamboyant hairstyles
33-25-34 in or 84-63.5-86 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU)
7 (US) or 37.5 (EU)
Janelle has starred in commercials for –
- CoverGirl for whipped cream foundation
- Sonos Wireless HiFi home audio system
- Target Store
She has been seen in print ads for CoverGirl’s range of nail gloss and lip color.
Best Known For
- The success of her first full-length studio album, The ArchAndroid.
- Being featured as a vocalist in track We Are Young by Fun in 2011.
Janelle released her first studio album The Audition in 2003. It didn’t chart anywhere.
In 2014, Janelle made her film debut with 3D animated film Rio 2 in which she voiced the role of Dr. Monae.
First TV Show
In 2004, Monae hosted the music TV series Souled Out.
For Janelle Monae, her stage performances and rehearsing for her shows is a workout. The heavy sweating caused by these activities takes care of her toned body and gives her body a wonderful glow.
She also drinks a lot of water and tries hard to eat a healthy and balanced diet such as salads while on road. Whenever she feels hungry in between meals, she goes for lights snacks like pita chips with hummus.
Janelle Monae Favorite Things
- Alfred Hitchcock Movie – Psycho (1960)
- TV series – Game of Thrones
- Role Models – Josephine Baker, Grace Jones
- Writers – Aldous Huxley, Isaac Asimov, Octavia Butler
Source – Brainy Quote, Booms Beat, Wikipedia, Wired
Janelle Monae Facts
- When she got enrolled at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, she was the only black female student in her class.
- In her early struggling days, she used to live in an Atlanta boarding house with 5 other women and worked at an office depot.
- Along with songwriters, Chuck Lightning and Nate Wonder, she has co-founded Wondaland Arts Society, which is a record label and artist group.
- She considers her signature black and white tuxedo uniform, an homage to her hard-working parents as well as to the working class of U.S.
- While growing up, she was a member of Kansas City’s Coterie Theater Young Playwrights’ Round Table and was writing full-length plays.
- At the age of 12, she had written a full-length play inspired by Stevie Wonder‘s 1979 album Journey through the Secret Life of Plants.
- She has created her own range of clothing products under the label of Electro Phi Beta Sorority.
- As a child, she used to sing on holidays and Sundays at the local Baptist church.
- Visit her official website @ jmonae.com.
- Join Janelle Monae on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, MySpace, Google+, and iTunes.