|Joss Stone Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||April 11, 1987|
Joss Stone is a Grammy and Brit Award-winning English singer, songwriter, and actress who is gloriously known for the release of her multi-platinum selling albums The Soul Sessions (2003) and Mind Body & Soul (2004). Both of the albums were nominated for a Grammy Award in 2005. In 2004, she also earned critical acclaim as the youngest British singer to pilot the UK Albums Chart. On the verge of success, she was also considered the 5th richest British musician under the age of 30. Prior to that, she was listed in the Sunday Times Rich List in 2006. Every album of the soulful and beautiful singer earned its own badge of honor. Besides that, she is also a show biz star who is noted for her appearance as Anne of Cleves in The Tudors (2009-2010) and as the lead character Angela in Eragon (2006). Stone has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 200k followers on Twitter, more than 300k followers on Instagram, more than 100k followers on MySpace, more than 2 million followers on Facebook, and more than 300k subscribers on YouTube.
Joscelyn Eve Stoker
Joss Stone, Jossie
Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom
As of 2018, she was residing in Park Slope, New York City, New York, United States.
Joss studied at the Uffculme Comprehensive School in Devon. However, she did not complete her schooling and dropped out after attaining 3 GCSE level qualifications.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Humanitarian
- Father – Richard Stoker (Businessman)
- Mother – Wendy Skillin (Former Manager of Joss)
- Siblings – Daniel Stoker (Younger Brother), Lucy Stoker (Older Sister), and Harry Stoker (Older Brother)
- Others – Richard Stoker (Paternal Grandfather), Priscilla Bainbridge (Paternal Grandmother), Edwin Edward H. Skillin (Maternal Grandfather), William Henry Skillin (Maternal Great Grandfather), Eva Doris Trevett (Maternal Great Grandmother), Janet E. Stenning (Maternal Grandmother), Walter Frederick Stenning (Maternal Great Grandfather), Winifred F. James (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Joss is represented by Fortitude and Bob Myman (Attorney).
Reggae, Soul, R&B, Blue-Eyed Soul
She was previously signed to S-Curve Records and EMI Music.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Stone has dated –
- Beau Dozier (2004-2005) – American songwriter Beau Dozier and Joss started dating one another in mid-2004. At the time, Stone was 17 years old and lived with then 25-year-old Beau in Los Angeles. Beau had written and produced several songs with her and in the process swept the beautiful musician off her feet in a jiffy. However, their picture-perfect relationship didn’t last quite long and in November 2005, they split up. After that, controversy stirred after rumors began to spread about Beau being considered to be a statutory rape offender as Joss was not of legal age to be living in with him.
- Lemar (2006) – Singer and songwriter Lemar was rumored to be dating Stone for a short while in 2006. The two have worked on a number of tracks together since then, but there is no evidence leading to their dating life. In fact, he is said to be a close friend of hers.
- Dallas Austin (2006) – American record producer Dallas Austin and Stone were speculated to have been in a brief relationship in 2006.
- Raphael Saadiq (2007-2008) – American singer Raphael and Joss were confirmed to be dating one another by Lemar who is a close friend of hers in 2007. Lemar told Smooth FM radio in April that year, that Stone was happy with him “and it’s the real deal.” Saadiq was 21 years older than her while she was 19 at the time. The couple also made numerous public appearances with one another. Despite that, not much is known about why the couple ended their relationship sometime in 2008.
- Prince Harry – Due to the several appearances Stone had made with the Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, fans had begun to think that she and Harry could have been dating one another. However, when asked about marrying Harry, she shrieked with laughter and said “Oh that’s funny; what a question! No, I don’t think I’ll be marrying Harry. We’re just good friends; he’s a nice, friendly chap who I’ve met at lots of wonderful events.”
- Danny Radford (2009) – In 2009, Joss was dating boat builder Danny Radford. However, the couple didn’t seem to be able to hit it off with one another and just 2 months later, they separated in April that year.
- Si Chai (2013-2016) – In 2016, Joss told Evening Standard, that she and music promoter Si Chai had been dating one another since 2013. At the time, the couple was living in together. However, since then, there has been no evidence if the couple is still dating.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English ancestry.
- She wears a nose ring.
- Performs barefoot
- Twirly Blonde hair
- Wide smile
- Dimpled cheeks
Stone has done endorsement work for several brands like –
- Cadbury Schweppes
- GAP Jeans
Best Known For
- Winning numerous awards such as the Grammy Award and Brit Award
- Releasing several hit albums such as The Soul Sessions (2003), Mind Body & Soul (2004), Introducing Joss Stone (2007), Colour Me Free! (2009), The Soul Sessions Vol. 2 (2012), Water For Your Soul (2015), and Mama Earth (2017)
- Starring in many hit films like Eragon (2006), Slightly Single in L.A. (2012), and Tomorrow (2016)
- Her appearance in several shows such as Austin City Limits (2004), Punk’d (2005), The Tudors (2009-2010), and Empire
- Collaborating with some of the best music artists in the world like Jeff Beck, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, A.R. Rahman, and Damian Marley
- Performing bare feet
Stone released her debut studio album titled The Soul Sessions on September 16, 2003. It included 10 cover tracks in total 9 of which were from the ’60s to the ’70s and 1 track was the single titled Fell in Love with a Boy (2001) by The White Stripes.
The 9 songs that were from the ’60s and ’70s were The Chokin’ Kind (1967) by Waylon Jennings, Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin’ on Me?) Pt. 1 (1974) by Sugar Billy, Victim of a Foolish Heart (1972) by Bettye Swann, Dirty Man (1967) by Laura Lee, Some Kind of Wonderful (1967) by the Soul Brothers Six, I’ve Fallen in Love with You (1968) by Carla Thomas, I Had a Dream (1970) by John Sebastian, All the King’s Horses (1972) by Aretha Franklin, and For the Love of You Pts. 1 & 2 (1975) by The Isley Brothers.
The album was certified triple platinum on April 15, 2005, by The British Phonographic Industry. Prior to that, it was certified ‘gold’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on March 29, 2004. Besides that, it was placed at #4 place on the UK Albums Chart during its 5th week. It also made its way into many other charts like the Billboard 200, Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, and Top Heatseekers. In addition to its success, more than 5 million copies of the album were sold across the globe by June 2012.
Joss made her debut theatrical film appearance as Angela in the drama film, Eragon in 2006.
First TV Show
She made her debut TV show appearance as a contestant on Star for a Night in 2001.
Joss Stone Favorite Things
- Place In The World – Devon
- Thing To Do When At Home – Playing with her dogs
- Things – Her dogs, family, friends, chocolate, sleep, cuddles
- Places To Go To – Singapore, Blackbury Camp in Devon
- Club In New York – The Village Underground
- Song From Her Album Mind Body & Soul (2004) – Right To Be Wrong, Spoiled
In 2011, two men named Junior Bradshaw who was 32 and Kevin Liverpool who was 35 at the time, were taken into custody a few miles away from Stone’s home in Cullompton, Devon. Upon further investigation, the two were accused of plotting to murder, rob and cause grievous bodily harm to her. The police also found their car full of weapons that included a Samurai sword, a lock knife, and a hammer. However, the two denied the conspiracy. During the hearing, Stone’s attorney also stated that they had planned on beheading Stone and dumping her body in the river.
Stone had a lucky escape, on that day, as she stated that, she did not lock her front door and her alarm was also off.
Joss Stone Facts
- She was born at Buckland Hospital in Dover, Kent. Later, she moved to Ashill where she grew up as a teenager.
- Joss is the 3rd child of 4 siblings born to Wendy and Richard.
- When she was 8 years old, Joss would be afraid to go down the stairs at home because she would picture ghosts waiting at to pounce on her at the bottom.
- As a child, she was diagnosed with dyslexia. Due to that, she had to give up studying when she was 16 years old. Besides that, Stone also stated that she found much more passion in being artistic rather than academic.
- Stone’s mother Wendy, worked as her manager until October 2004.
- Her father runs a fruit and nut import-export business.
- She publicly performed for the first time at her school in Devon with the cover of Reet Petite (1957) by Jackie Wilson.
- Her music is mostly influenced by her childhood sensations singer and songwriter Dusty Springfield and American singer and songwriter Aretha Franklin.
- One of the first music CD’s that Stone owned was the 1998 Greatest Hits, an Aretha Franklin compilation.
- She was 13 years old when she auditioned for BBC Television’s Star for a Night talent show which was held in London in 2001. She got through with the song (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (1967) by Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston‘s It’s Not Right but It’s Okay (1999). After making it through the auditioning rounds, she went on to be a finalist in the show.
- In December 2001, while Stone was performing for a charity show, the London based band called The Boilerhouse Boys contacted the founder and CEO of S-Curve Records Steve Greenberg and told him “they had just heard the greatest singer they’d ever heard from their country.” The following year, Stone was flown out to New York to audition for Greenberg. After he heard her sing, Steve signed her to his record label on the spot.
- Besides her first 2 hit albums, Stone released 5 more albums that simultaneously earned an immense amount of critical acclaim. They are Introducing Joss Stone (2007), Colour Me Free! (2009), The Soul Sessions Vol. 2 (2012), Water For Your Soul (2015), and Mama Earth (2017).
- In April 2004, she performed at VH1’s concert called Divas Live 2004 to aid the Save the Music Foundation. Also performing at the show were American singer and songwriter Ashanti, Cyndi Lauper, Gladys Knight, Jessica Simpson, and Patti LaBelle. Stone was the only well-known English singer at the concert.
- On November 14, 2004, Stone joined several music artists like Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, Chris Martin of Coldplay, Bono of U2, and Paul McCartney to form the Band Aid 20 group. They re-recorded the song Do They Know It’s Christmas? which was originally written by the founders of Band Aid, Bob Geldof and Midge Ure in 1986. The group came together to raise money to aid the troubled regions of Darfur in Sudan.
- In 2005, Stone and singer and songwriter Chris Martin were both titled as the ‘World’s Sexiest Vegetarian’ by peta2. She was also titled ‘World’s Most Famous Vegetarian’ in the past.
- In March 2005, Joss was announced as the brand ambassador for GAP after actress Sarah Jessica Parker had stepped down.
- At the age of 17, Stone became the youngest female solo artist to peak on the UK Albums Chart.
- In the past, Stone openly admitted to having occasionally smoked Sensimilla. She added “I think it’s a very positive plant. At no point do I advocate smoking it. Though I do, but not often.”
- Stone’s 3rd studio album Introducing Joss Stone (2007) was inspired by her breakup Beau. She spoke up about it while on The Tavis Smiley Show.
- In April 2008, Joss signed a petition against EMI Music, to attain full control of the 3 albums that were released via them. She also wanted them to accept her resignation. Finally, in August 2010, she parted ways with the record label.
- She lent her voice and her likeliness in the game James Bond 007: Blood Stone (2010) as Nicole Hunter. She also co-sang the game’s title track I’ll Take It All.
- Her 4th album Colour Me Free!, which was released on October 20, 2009, was put together in a week’s time in early 2008. However, the reason for its late release was due to problems she was facing with her record label EMI Music. In an interview, Stone stated that EMI feuded with her over the original album cover and called it “offensive”. It was later reported that only the US version of the album cover contains plain text.
- She made her debut TV show appearance as an actor as the character Anne of Cleves in The Tudors in 2009.
- In 2011, Stone founded her own record label, Stone’d Records.
- She started The Total World Tour plan in April 2014. As of February 2019, Stone had traveled to and performed in 170 countries.
- She is a huge fan of the Liverpool Football Club.
- American actor Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Angelina Jolie enjoy listening to her music.
- In 2015, Joss was voted by readers of 2 American dog magazines as “World’s Best Celebrity Dog Owner”.
- Maxim magazine had listed her at #78 in their “Hot 100 of 2007” list.
- Just like her inspiration Aretha Franklin, Stone also performs bare feet. She is also said to be the white Aretha.
- Joss has performed for the Royal family on more than one occasion.
- According to an interview with Evening Standard, in 2016, Joss may have been planning to undergo IVF treatment as she did not want to have children until she finished her world tour.
- In the past, Joss was criticized for her ‘black’ style of singing.
- She is very fond of animals. Joss has 4 dogs of her own named Dusty Springfield, Missy Elliot, Igor, Maggie. They are suited to protect Joss in the case of a threatening situation.
- Her vocal range is of mezzo-soprano and contralto.
- In March 2019, she illegally crossed Syrian borders to perform in the small town of Al-Malikiyah. During that time, she also performed in North Korea.
- According to sources, Joss supports more than 200 charities across the world.
- Visit her official website @ jossstone.com.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, MySpace.
Featured Image By Joss Stone / Instagram