|Lil Mama Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1.5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 4, 1989|
|Eye Color||Light Green|
Lil Mama is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, model, dancer, television personality, and motivational speaker, best known for major singles Lip Gloss, Shawty Get Loose, What It Is (Strike a Pose), and G-Slide (Tour Bus) from her debut studio album titled VYP (Voice of the Young People), released on April 28, 2008. She won 2 Teen Choice Awards and the single Lip Gloss that she would later become known for was nominated for “Monster Single of the Year” at the MTV VMAs. In 2007, she was named “Queen of Hip-Pop” due to her collaboration with the pop singer Avril Lavigne on the well-known track Girlfriend. The next single she released, titled Hustler Girl, with the artist Clyde McKnight, managed to garner her $1.5 million profit.
This achievement topped $1 million that her previous single Shawty Get Loose earned, while the next collaboration single she released, Billionaire, went a step further and earned Lil Mama $1.8 million. Following her success, she took a hiatus from music in order to be a judge on America’s Best Dance Crew (2008-2012). She also appeared in a TV biography film CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story in 2013 and collaborated with MC Lyte on his album Legend in November 2014. After other projects, she released a mixtape titled Take Me Back in December 2015. On May 3, 2018, Lil Mama released a highly successful single Shoe Game and in October began starring in the TV series Growing Up Hip Hop: Atlanta. She has a large social media fan base with more than 2 million followers on Facebook, more than 800k followers on Instagram, and than 300k subscribers on YouTube.
Niatia Jessica Kirkland
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Lil Mama attended Edward R. Murrow High School in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States, after which she had to continue her education through independent studies.
Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, TV Personality, Model, Motivational Speaker, Dancer
- Father – Allen Brunner (DJ, Musician)
- Mother – Tara Kirkland (Singer) (d. 2007)
- Siblings – ArnStar (Younger Brother) (Dancer, Rapper). She also has 2 older brothers, 2 younger brothers, and 2 younger sisters.
Lil Mama is represented by –
- Pallas Management Group (Manager) in Valley Village, California, United States
- Sunni Gyrl (Manager) in Sherman Oaks, California, United States
Hip Hop, East Coast Hip Hop, Pop, Contemporary R&B
- Jive Records
- RCA Records
5 ft 1.5 in or 156 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lil Mama has dated –
- Soulja Boy (2007-2008) – She dated the well-known rapper Soulja Boy between September 2007 and November 2008.
- Big Sean (2015-2016) – In mid-2015, the rumors began circulating that she was dating the fellow hip-hop artist, but she didn’t respond initially. However, in 2016, while talking on a radio show, The Breakfast Club, Lil Mama went public and claimed that she hasn’t dated Big Sean in 2015 nor 2016. She also added that she wasn’t in a relationship at the time, but that she was in the dating game.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American and of 3rd generation African, Jamaican, and Trinidadian descent.
She has also dyed her hair ‘Black’, ‘Cyan’, ‘Light Brown’, ‘Blonde’, and ‘Purple’ in the past.
- Slim physique
- Fuller Lips
- Trademark pink lip gloss
Lil Mama appeared in a TV commercial titled Seek Help by The National Domestic Violence Hotline organization with Tasha Smith in 2017.
Lil Mama has endorsed brands such as –
- Empower Bodycare (2017)
- Moto Perpetuo Farm (2017)
- Hebru Brantley Clothing
- Fashion Bomb Daily (2018)
- Fashion Nova (2019)
Best Known For
- Her studio album VYP (Voice of the Young People) (2008), and mixtape Take Me Back (2015)
- Being a judge on America’s Best Dance Crew TV series between 2008 and 2012
- Playing Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes in CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story (2013) biographical film
- Her hit singles Lip Gloss, Shawty Get Loose, G-Slide (Tour Bus), and Hustler Girl
- Collaborating with artists such as MC Lyte, Avril Lavigne, T-Pain, Chris Brown, Snoop Dogg, Peter Toh, Karina Pasian, Sean Kingston, Mishon Ratliff, and others
Lil Mama released her debut studio album titled VYP (Voice of the Young People) on April 28, 2008, under Zomba Records and Jive Records. The album consisted of 18 original tracks, out of which Lip Gloss, Shawty Get Loose, What It Is (Strike a Pose), and G-Slide (Tour Bus) were the most prominent. The deluxe edition of the album added 2 new tracks – Girlfriend with Avril Lavigne, remixed by Dr. Luke, and On Fire. The Japanese version of the album had 1 additional track titled Never Let Go. The album debuted at the 25th spot on the US Billboard 200 chart and reached number 3 on the U.S. Top Rap Albums chart.
First TV Show
Lil Mama made her first TV show appearance as herself in an episode of the music series The Drop on October 10, 2005.
Lil Mama Favorite Things
- Activity – Cooking
- Character – Catwoman
- People – Nipsey Hussle, Anita Baker
Source – Instagram Stories, Instagram, Instagram
Lil Mama Facts
- Because she was the oldest daughter and had to help her mom take care of her 7 siblings, she earned the nickname Lil Mama in her youth.
- Apart from financial poverty, and her parents’ separation, her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, which led to additional responsibilities for Lil Mama and forced her to take small jobs such as baking.
- She stayed in homeless shelters with her mom and siblings from kindergarten to the beginning of the 8th grade, when the family managed to get an apartment in the Bronx neighborhood of the New York City, New York.
- Her mom passed away on December 15, 2007, after a 4-year battle with the illness, and the single Shawty Get Loose was dedicated to her memory. Her mom also appeared in the intro and outro of Lil Mama’s hit single Lip Gloss.
- Lil Mama, to overcome problems at the time and express her feelings and thoughts, started writing music and poetry, and trained at dance schools, specializing in tap, jazz, ballet, South-African dance, hip hop, and street dancing.
- The re-release of her single L.I.F.E. in 2009 introduced her fans to a harsher reality that she faced around her – teen pregnancy, child abandonment, domestic violence, drug addiction, and others. This drew in adults who became fans of her work due to her maturity.
- She was featured on a song A Milli by Lil Wayne in 2008 and released 2 singles named On & On & On and NYNYLALA (2011) with Snoop Dogg.
- During the performance of a song Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, Lil Mama climbed the stage and started bobbing her head to the beat. Beyonce even tried to stop her but failed to do so.
- After her appearance on The Breakfast Club morning radio show on Power 105.1, hosted by Charlamagne Tha God in 2011, and her subsequent crying while talking about her career, she became an internet meme on social media.
- Her acting debut, a role of Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes in the TV biography film CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story (2013), was seen by more than 4.5 million viewers in 1 night.
- Her song Sausage was released online via WordStarHipHop in May 2015, and it went viral immediately, garnering more than 3 million views in the 1st week. It topped the Billboard Music + Twitter chart, and passed songs Sugar by Maroon 5, and Want to Want Me by Jason Derulo.
- On August 28, 2017, Lil Mama starred in a TV movie When Love Kills: The Falicia Blakely Story, which was based on a true story. Its premiere was seen by 1.6 million people and it became the number 1 original premiere on the cable network TV One.
- She met Drake Bell when they both competed on the 2nd season of The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars TV mini-series on April 17, 2018. They went on to record a track titled Call Me When You’re Lonely together.
- In 2017, Lil Mama defended Chris Brown and spoke of the way media and other people treated him for assault charges against Rihanna. She said that people should forgive each other for what was in the past and that people can truly change with time and experience.
- Lil Mama worked with Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Janet Jackson, and other well known female music performers when she presented the event BET Special Black Girls Rock! in September 2018.
- In December 2018, rapper Bow Wow set up Lil Mama with his friend BT on a blind date. During the radio show Growing Up Hip Hop: Atlanta, he made rude remarks towards Lil Mama and told his friend that they would be having s*x in a week, which angered her, and their beef went on for 2 months via various gossip websites.
- In early 2019, Lil Mama announced her plans to come back to the scene with a music album later in the year.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, SoundCloud, and Discogs.
Featured Image by Lil Mama / Instagram