|Sebastian Ofner Quick Info
|6 ft 3 in
|Date of Birth
|May 12, 1996
Sebastian Ofner is an Austrian professional tennis player who is adept at the singles format of the sport having been rated as high as world number 37 in January 2024 as per the official ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals – the governing body of men’s professional tennis) rankings. At Grand Slam (Australian Open/French Open/Wimbledon Championships/US Open) tournaments, in the singles format, as of January 2024, his best performance was reaching the 4th round of the 2023 French Open.
Bruck an der Mur, Bruck-Mürzzuschlag, Styria, Austria
Sankt Marein im Mürztal, Bruck-Mürzzuschlag, Styria, Austria
Sebastian had attended school until the age of 19 when he began pursuing a professional tennis career.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Hansjorg Ofner (Software Engineer)
- Mother – Gabriela Ofner (Office Worker)
- Siblings – Christopher Ofner (Brother)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Austrian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Cheerful smile
- Often sports a rugged goatee
He has been sponsored by –
- Lotto Sport Italia (Italian sports equipment manufacturer)
- Babolat (French tennis, badminton, and padel equipment company)
Sebastian Ofner Favorite Things
- Tennis Surface – Clay
- Tennis Shot – Backhand
- Tennis Tournament/Event – Wimbledon Championship
- Tennis Idol/Role Model – Roger Federer
- Sports – Tennis, Soccer
- Soccer Club – FC Barcelona
Source – ATP Tour
Sebastian Ofner Facts
- Sebastian first came into the spotlight in July 2017 when he made his Grand Slam (Australian Open/French Open/Wimbledon Championships/US Open) main draw debut – at the year’s Wimbledon Championships.
- After winning his first-round match in straight sets, he upset 17th seed and then world number 18 Jack Sock in a grueling 5-setter to reach the 3rd round. His journey came to an end there when he was defeated by 10th seed Alexander Zverev.
- It took Sebastian nearly 6 years to better this performance (3rd round finish) at a Grand Slam tournament. In June 2023, at the French Open, he defeated 24th seed Sebastian Korda in straight sets in the 2nd round. In the 3rd round, he overcame 2015 Australian Open doubles champion Fabio Fognini in a tense 5-set encounter.
- Consequently, he reached the 4th round of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time in his career. There, he lost to 5th seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in straight sets. Due to his performance in this tournament, he broke into the ‘Top 100’ of the official ATP singles rankings.
- In October 2023, Sebastian reached the semi-final stage of the Astana Open – an ATP Tour 250 (the lowest tier of tournaments on the ATP Tour (a worldwide top-tier tennis tour organized by the ATP)) event. In the 2nd round of the tournament, he had upset 3rd seed Alexander Bublik in straight sets. In the next round (quarter-final stage), he shocked 2020 US Open singles champion and former world number 3 Dominic Thiem.
- His fairytale run in the tournament came to an end in the semi-final stage at the hands of 6th seed and eventual champion Adrian Mannarino who defeated him in straight sets. Due to his performance in this tournament, Sebastian broke into the ‘Top 50’ of the official ATP singles rankings. He finished the calendar year of 2023 ranked 43rd in the world.
Featured Image by Sebastian Ofner / Instagram