|Shaggy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||October 22, 1968|
Shaggy is a Jamaican reggae musician, singer, DJ, actor, philanthropist, and record producer. His discography consists of multiple albums and tracks such as Summer in Kingston, Original Doberman, Hot Shot, I Need Your Love (ft. Mohombi, Faydee, and Costi), Clothes Drop, Boombastic, Midnite Lover, Shaggy & Friends, Luv Me, Luv Me (ft. Janet Jackson), Strength of a Woman, Rise, Pure Pleasure, Piece of My Heart (ft. Marsha), It Wasn’t Me (ft. Rikrok), Get My Party On (ft. Chaka Khan), Church Heathen, What’s Love (ft. Akon), Lucky Day, Intoxication, Christmas in the Islands, Wah Gwaan?!, Nice and Lovely, Soon Be Done, Why You Treat Me So Bad (ft. Grand Puba), The Train Is Coming (ft. Ken Boothe), Fly High (ft. Gary Pine), For Ur Eyez Only (ft. Alaine), Jamaican Drummer Boy, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (ft. Eve), Only Love (ft. Pitbull and Gene Noble), I Got You (ft. Jovi Rockwell), Don’t Make Me Wait (with Sting), Gotta Get Back My Baby (with Sting ft. Maître Gims), Early in the Morning (with Kris Kross Amsterdam and Conor Maynard), and Out of Many, One Music. In addition to that, Shaggy has also been a part of shows and movies like The Bachelor Presents: Listen to Your Heart, Blast, American Idol, The Masked Singer, and Game Over, Man!
Orville Richard Burrell
He has a colonial-style house in Jamaica. His house has traditional wooden floors and large windows and has 11 bathrooms.
He also has a place in Miami, for which he has decided to go with minimal décor.
Shaggy went to the Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn.
He had also got a scholarship offer from Pratt Institute – Art & Design but he instead, decided to enlist in the US army.
He received an Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from Brown University on May 28, 2022.
Actor, musician, singer, philanthropist, and DJ
- Father – Clinton Burrell
- Mother – Veronica Miller
- Others – Sylvia Sherman (Grandmother)
Shaggy has been represented by –
- Solid Agency (Music Artist Management Company), Kingston, Jamaica
- ICM Partners (Talent and Literary Agency), Los Angeles, California, United States
Reggae Fusion, Dancehall
EMI, Virgin, MCA Records, Universal Music Group, Big Yard, Ranch
His net worth has been $14 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shaggy has dated –
- Alicia Douvall – During her stint in 2015 on the reality TV show, Celebrity Big Brother 15, TV personality Alicia Douvall claimed that she had an affair with Shaggy.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt (2002) – In the early months and summer of 2002, Shaggy was rumored to have hooked up with actor Jennifer Love Hewitt. It was reported that they had grown close while working on the World Music Awards. However, Shaggy, as well as Hewitt, denied the existence of any such relationship.
- Rebecca Packer – Shaggy got married to his long-term girlfriend Rebecca Packer in July 2014. He had been dating Packer, who works as an art director of films and videos, for more than one and a half decades by the time they were married. She has also served as a co-producer of the Shaggy and Friends charity concert. According to some reports, they are parents to three girls – Kelsey, Madison, and Sydney. Sydney is their oldest daughter, while Kelsey and Madison are twins.
- Carol Burrell – Shaggy has previously dated Carol Burrell. However, he kept his relationship secret. In fact, he initially denied that he was the father of her son named Richard O’Neil Burrell who is a hip-hop artist and is better known as Robb Banks. He eventually accepted that he was Robb’s father.
Note – Shaggy is also the father of one more child.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Jamaican ancestry.
- Often has a French goatee beard
- Wears shades
Shaggy’s songs have been used in the TV commercials for popular jeans brands Levi’s and GAP.
He has been featured in a TV advert for Jamaica’s Tourism Board. He has also appeared in a PSA (Public Service Announcement) for HIV/AIDS prevention.
His song has also been featured in a TV commercial for JP Morgan Chase Bank.
Best Known For
- The immense popularity of his singles such as Angel, Bombastic, Oh Carolina, and It Wasn’t Me
- The commercial success of his studio album, Hot Shot, which was certified as 6x Platinum in the United States
- Having collaborated with established music artists such as Sean Paul, Major Lazer, and Ne-Yo
In July 1993, he released his debut studio album, Pure Pleasure. The album spawned his popular single, Oh Carolina, which went on to reach the very top of the UK singles charts.
In 2004, Shaggy made his theatrical film debut in the comedy thriller movie, Blast.
First TV Show
In 1993, Shaggy made his first TV show appearance in the drama TV series, The Word.
Shaggy Favorite Things
- Childhood Idol – Bob Marley
- Proudest Moment Of His Life – Meeting James Brown
- Guilty Pleasure – Tootie-fruity and Guinness-flavored ice cream called Devon stout
- Music Albums – Kaya by Bob Marley and The Chronicle by Dr. Dre
- Building – British Parliament Building
- Celebrity Crushes – Jessica Biel, Eva Longoria, Halle Berry, and Nicole Scherzinger
- All-Time Favorite Book – Bible
- While growing up, he dreamed of becoming a fireman. However, after he saw King Yellowman’s performance, he was drawn to music.
- In his free time, he likes to involve himself in art. He is pretty good at painting, sketching, and drawing.
- Shaggy started taking singing lessons in 1987 and was discovered in the following year while performing in the streets with a group of his friends.
- He has served in the United States Marine Corps for 4 years. He was deployed with the Field Artillery Battery in the 10th Marine Regiment in the Persian Gulf War.
- With the US Marine Corps, he managed to rise to the rank of lance corporal. However, during his stay with the army, he was demoted on two occasions.
- He got an opportunity to hone his singing voice while serving in the Marine Corps and went on a tour to the Middle East as part of Operation Desert Storm.
- In March 2007, he was hired to perform the official anthem of the ICC Cricket World Cup, The Game of Love and Unity, at the opening ceremony of the tournament.
- In October 2007, he was honored by the Jamaican Government with an Order of Distinction with the rank of Commander.
- In June 2012, he established his own record label Ranch Entertainment in a press conference held in New York City. The record is based in Jamaica and New York.
- He previously started his own record label under the title of “Big Yard Records”. His first album with his new record label was Intoxication.
- He released his 3rd studio album titled Boombastic on July 11, 1995, and it went on to win the “Best Reggae Album” award at the Grammy Awards. Also, the album peaked at number #1 on the US Reggae Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #11 on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) chart, and at number #34 on the US Billboard 200 chart.
- His popular moniker was inspired by the character in the famous animated children’s show, Scooby-Do.
- He has started his philanthropic project called Shaggy and Friends to support his charitable and social activism causes.
- He and his wife once donated $1 million to the Bustamante Children’s Hospital in Jamaica. They also donated hospital equipment and machinery. Through his charity, he has also raised millions of dollars for this hospital.
- He is a certified diamond-selling reggae artist and he is the only such artist.
- Shaggy prefers going to Port Antonio, Jamaica whenever he feels the need to clear his mind.
- His first job was to work at a Baskin-Robbins.
- If he wasn’t a musician, he would have been a person doing philanthropic work.
- The very first concert he went to was Yellowman. He went there with his friends.
- Toyota Celica was his first car.
- Before sleeping, she generally prays.
- Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton is the song that makes him cry.
- Neatness is his biggest pet peeve.
Featured Image by Lance Cpl. Tayler P. Schwamb / Marines.mil / Public Domain