Orville Richard Burrell
He has a colonial style house in Jamaica. His house has traditional wooden floors and large windows and has 11 bathrooms.
He also has a place in Miami, for which he has decided to go with minimal décor.
Shaggy went to the Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn.
He had also got a scholarship offer from Pratt Institue – Art & Design but he instead, decided to enlist in the US army.
Actor, musician, singer, philanthropist, and DJ
- Father – Clinton Burrell
- Mother – Veronica Miller
Shaggy is represented by
- Solid Agency (Music Artist Management Company)
- ICM Partners (Talent and Literary Agency)
EMI, Virgin, MCA Records, Universal Music Group, Big Yard, Ranch
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shaggy has dated –
- Alicia Douvall – During her stint in 2015 in the reality TV show, Celebrity Big Brother 15, TV personality Alicia Douvall claimed that she had an affair with Shaggy.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt (2002) – In the early months and summer of 2002, Shaggy was rumored to have hooked up with actress Jennifer Love Hewitt. It was reported that they had grown close while working on the World Music Awards. However, Shaggy, as well as Hewitt, denied the existence of any such relationship.
- Rebecca Packer – Shaggy got married to his long-term girlfriend Rebecca Packer in July 2014. He had been dating Packer, who works as art director of films and videos, for more than one and a half decades by the time they got married. She has also served as a co-producer of the Shaggy and Friends charity concert. According to some reports, they are parents to three girls – Kelsey, Madison, and Sydney. Sydney is their oldest daughter, while Kelsey and Madison are twins.
- Carol Burrell – Shaggy has previously dated Carol Burrell. However, he kept his relationship secret. In fact, he initially denied that he was the father of her son, Richard O’Neil Burrell, who is a hip-hop artist and better known as Robb Banks. He eventually accepted that he was Robb’s father.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Jamaican ancestry.
- Often has a French goatee beard
- Wears shades
Shaggy’s songs have been used in the TV commercials for popular jeans brands Levi’s and GAP.
He has been featured in a TV advert for Jamaica’s Tourism Board. He has also appeared in a PSA (Public Service Announcement) for HIV/AIDS prevention.
His song has also been featured in a TV commercial for JP Morgan Chase Bank.
Best Known For
- The immense popularity of his singles such as Angel, Bombastic, Oh Carolina, and It Wasn’t Me.
- The commercial success of his studio album, Hot Shot, which was certified as 6x Platinum in the United States.
- Having collaborated with the established music artists such as Sean Paul, Major Lazer, and Ne-Yo.
In July 1993, he released his debut studio album, Pure Pleasure. The album spawned his popular single, Oh Carolina, which went on to reach the very top of the UK singles charts.
In 2004, Shaggy made his theatrical film debut in the comedy thriller movie, Blast.
First TV Show
In 1993, Shaggy made his first TV show appearance in the drama TV series, The Word.
Shaggy Favorite Things
- Childhood Idol – Bob Marley
- Proudest Moment Of His Life – Meeting James Brown
- Guilty Pleasure – Tootie-fruity
- Music Albums – Kaya by Bob Marley and The Chronicle by Dr. Dre
- Building – British Parliament Building
- Celebrity Crushes – Jessica Biel, Eva Longoria, Halle Berry, and Nicole Scherzinger
Source – Jamaicans, Independent
- While growing up, he dreamed of becoming a fireman. However, after he saw King Yellowman’s performance, he was drawn towards music.
- In his free time, he likes to involve himself in the art. He is pretty good at painting, sketching, and drawing.
- Shaggy started taking singing lessons in 1987 and was discovered in the following year while performing in the streets with a group of his friends.
- He has served in the United States Marine Corps. He was deployed with the Field Artillery Battery in the 10th Marine Regiment in the Persian Gulf War.
- With the US Marine Corps, he managed to rise to the rank of lance corporal. However, during his stay with the army, he was demoted on two occasions.
- He got an opportunity to hone his singing voice while serving in the Marine Corps.
- In March 2007, he was hired to perform the official anthem of the ICC Cricket World Cup, The Game of Love and Unity, at the opening ceremony of the tournament.
- In October 2007, he was honored by the Jamaican Government with an Order of Distinction with the rank of Commander.
- In June 2012, he established his own record label Ranch Entertainment in a press conference held in New York City. The record is based in Jamaica and New York.
- He previously started his own record label under the title of “Big Yard Records”. His first album with his new record label was Intoxication.
- In 1996, Shaggy’s record album Boombastic went on to win the Best Reggae Album award at the Grammy Awards.
- His popular moniker was inspired by the character in the famous animated children’s show, Scooby-Do.
- He has started his philanthropic project called Shaggy and Friendz to support his charitable and social activism causes.
- He and his wife once donated $1 million to the Bustamante Children’s Hospital in Jamaica. They also donated hospital equipment and machinery.
- Visit his official website @ shaggyonline.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Myspace.
Featured Image by Lance Cpl. Tayler P. Schwamb / Marines.mil / Public Domain