|Shubman Gill Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 8, 1999|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Shubman Gill is an Indian cricketer whose prolific performances in the Indian domestic circuit have seen him marked out as a special talent with the ability to serve the national team with distinction. He was the vice-captain of the triumphant Indian squad at the 2018 Under-19 ICC (International Cricket Council) World Cup where he scored 372 runs at an average of 124, including a match-winning 102 in the semi-final against bitter rivals Pakistan, won the ‘Man-of-the-Match’ award thrice, and was adjudged ‘Player of the Tournament’. Shubman’s performances at the representative level and further successful outings in domestic competitions eventually earned him an ODI debut with the senior national team in January 2019.
Fazilka, Punjab, India
Mohali, Punjab, India
Shubman attended the Manav Mangal Smart School in Mohali, Punjab.
- Father – Lakhwinder Singh (Agriculturist)
- Mother – Keart Gill
- Siblings – Shahneel Kaur Gill (Older Sister)
He is represented by –
- Subeer Hayer, Personal Manager, Chandigarh, Punjab, India
- Gagan Gujral, Manager, Cornerstone, Sports and Entertainment Talent Agency, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- KWAN Entertainment, Sports Marketing Agency, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
77 – ODI, IPL
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shubman has dated –
- Sara Tendulkar – RUMOR
Race / Ethnicity
- Affable smile
- Lean physique
- Side-cropped, spiked hair
Shubman has served as the ambassador for brands such as –
He has appeared in a TV commercial for the footwear brand Skechers.
Shubman Gill Favorite Things
- Cricketers/Role Models – Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli
- Soccer Player – Neymar
- Non-Indian Cricketer – AB de Villiers
- Soccer Club – Barcelona
Shubman Gill Facts
- Shubman’s father had always wanted to be a cricketer but as he could not fulfill his dream, he wanted his son to accomplish what he could not. Convinced of his son’s batting talent from a very early age, he moved the family to a rented house near the PCA (Punjab Cricket Association) stadium in Mohali so that his son could avail the best training and practice facilities, leaving behind the agricultural lands that he had owned in his native town of Fazilka.
- Shubman scored a double hundred in his Under-16 state debut game for Punjab in the Vijay Merchant Trophy.
- He made his first-class debut for in the Ranji Trophy in November 2017 and scored his first century in just his 2nd match. As of January 2020, he had scored runs at an average of more than 63 in first-class (domestic 4-day matches) cricket.
- In the 2018 IPL Auction, he was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders franchise for INR 1.8 Crore (USD 250k) which was 9 times his base price of INR 20 Lakhs.
- He was the highest run-getter for Punjab in the 2018–19 Ranji Trophy season, where he amassed 728 runs in just 5 games.
- He won the ‘Emerging Player of the Tournament’ award in the 2019 edition of the IPL (Indian Premier League).
- In October 2019, Shubman was named the captain of the India C team for the season’s Deodhar Trophy which made him the then-youngest cricketer to captain a team in the tournament’s history. He was 20 years and 57 days old at that time and surpassed Virat Kohli‘s record who was 21 years and 124 days old when he captained a team in the Deodhar Trophy in the 2009–10 season.
- In August 2019, he scored 204 in a match for ‘India A’ against ‘West Indies A’ at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad and Tobago. The knock made him the then-youngest cricketer (19 years and 334 days) to score a double hundred for an Indian representative team.
- Shubman won the BCCI (Board of Control of Cricket in India) award for the ‘Best Junior Cricketer’ for 2 seasons in succession – 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- He carries a red handkerchief in every cricket game, much like iconic Australian former cricketer Steve Waugh. The story behind the quirky habit is that he once carried a white handkerchief to an Under-16 match and scored a hundred, before which he was struggling for runs. However, as the white rag got soiled, he carried a red handkerchief in his next outing and scored another hundred. Shubman decided to continue with the superstition after that match.
- In 2021, after the India-Australia test series, he got a Mahindra Thar car by the Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman, Anand Mahindra, after he got impressed by his performance in the series.
- In mid-May 2021, he got the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Featured Image by Shubman Gill / Instagram