|Shubman Gill Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 8, 1999|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Shubman Gill is an Indian cricketer whose prolific performances in the Indian domestic circuit have seen him marked out as a special talent with the ability to serve the national team with distinction. He was the vice-captain of the triumphant Indian squad at the 2018 Under-19 ICC (International Cricket Council) World Cup where he scored 372 runs at an average of 124, including a match-winning 102 in the semi-final against bitter rivals Pakistan, won the ‘Man-of-the-Match’ award thrice, and was adjudged ‘Player of the Tournament’. Shubman’s performances at the representative level and further successful outings in domestic competitions eventually earned him an ODI debut with the senior national team in January 2019.
Fazilka, Punjab, India
Mohali, Punjab, India
Shubman attended the Manav Mangal Smart School in Mohali, Punjab.
- Father – Lakhwinder Singh (Agriculturist)
- Mother – Keart Gill
- Siblings – Shahneel Kaur Gill (Older Sister)
He is represented by –
- Subeer Hayer, Personal Manager, Chandigarh, Punjab, India
- KWAN Entertainment, Sports Marketing Agency, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Gill was previously managed by Gagan Gujral, Manager from Cornerstone Sports and Entertainment Talent Agency, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
77 – ODI, IPL
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shubman has dated –
- Sara Tendulkar – RUMOR
- Sara Ali Khan (2022) – In August 2022, Shubman was spotted having dinner with Bollywood actress Sara Ali Khan at Bastian in Mumbai which sparked dating rumors.
Race / Ethnicity
- Affable smile
- Lean physique
- Side-cropped, spiked hair
Shubman has served as the ambassador for brands such as –
He has appeared in TV commercials for the footwear brand Skechers, Tata Capital, etc.
Shubman Gill Favorite Things
- Cricketers/Role Models – Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli
- Soccer Player – Neymar
- Non-Indian Cricketer – AB de Villiers
- Soccer Club – Barcelona
Shubman Gill Facts
- Shubman’s father had always wanted to be a cricketer but as he could not fulfill his dream, he wanted his son to accomplish what he could not. Convinced of his son’s batting talent from a very early age, he moved the family to a rented house near the PCA (Punjab Cricket Association) stadium in Mohali so that his son could avail the best training and practice facilities, leaving behind the agricultural lands that he had owned in his native town of Fazilka.
- Shubman scored a double hundred in his Under-16 state debut game for Punjab in the Vijay Merchant Trophy.
- He made his first-class debut for in the Ranji Trophy in November 2017 and scored his first century in just his 2nd match. As of January 2020, he had scored runs at an average of more than 63 in first-class (domestic 4-day matches) cricket.
- In the 2018 IPL Auction, he was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders franchise for INR 1.8 Crore (USD 250k) which was 9 times his base price of INR 20 Lakhs.
- He was the highest run-getter for Punjab in the 2018–19 Ranji Trophy season, where he amassed 728 runs in just 5 games.
- He won the ‘Emerging Player of the Tournament’ award in the 2019 edition of the IPL (Indian Premier League).
- In October 2019, Shubman was named the captain of the India C team for the season’s Deodhar Trophy which made him the then-youngest cricketer to captain a team in the tournament’s history. He was 20 years and 57 days old at that time and surpassed Virat Kohli‘s record who was 21 years and 124 days old when he captained a team in the Deodhar Trophy in the 2009–10 season.
- In August 2019, he scored 204 in a match for ‘India A’ against ‘West Indies A’ at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad and Tobago. The knock made him the then-youngest cricketer (19 years and 334 days) to score a double hundred for an Indian representative team.
- Shubman won the BCCI (Board of Control of Cricket in India) award for the ‘Best Junior Cricketer’ for 2 seasons in succession – 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- He carries a red handkerchief in every cricket game, much like iconic Australian former cricketer Steve Waugh. The story behind the quirky habit is that he once carried a white handkerchief to an Under-16 match and scored a hundred, before which he was struggling for runs. However, as the white rag got soiled, he carried a red handkerchief in his next outing and scored another hundred. Shubman decided to continue with the superstition after that match.
- In 2021, after the India-Australia test series, he got a Mahindra Thar car from the Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman, Anand Mahindra, after he got impressed by his performance in the series.
- In mid-May 2021, he got the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- In July 2022, he scored his maiden ODI fifty in a match against West Indies. Overall, he scored 64 runs in 53 balls by scoring 6 fours and 2 sixes.
- In July 2022, Shubman Gill was named ‘Player of the Match’ and ‘Player of the Series’ for his consistent performance in all the 3 ODI matches against West Indies.
- In August 2022, Gill had scored 130 runs from 97 balls against Zimbabwe in the 3rd ODI match in Harare, Zimbabwe. This was his debut century in ODI cricket history. With this, he also made a record of the highest-ever ODI score by any Indian in Zimbabwe. Before this, Sachin Tendulkar held this record as he had scored 127* off 130 deliveries in Bulawayo in 1998.
- In December 2022, Shubman scored his maiden Test century which came against Bangladesh in Chattogram in the first Test match.
- On January 18, 2023, Shubman Gill became the youngest batter to smash a double century in ODI cricket history. He was 23 years and 132 days at that time. He reached a double ton in 145 balls while batting against New Zealand. Before him, Indian cricketer Ishan Kishan held the record of being the youngest batter to score a double ton at 24 years and 145 days of age.
- On January 18, 2023, Gill became the fastest Indian cricketer to score 1,000 ODI runs, taking only 19 innings.
- In January 2023, Gill jumped 20 positions to become the highest-ranked Indian ODI batter in the ICC rankings for ODI batters. At that time, he was ranked #6. Later, in September 2023, he jumped to #2 in the same ranking (his career best).
- On February 1, 2023, Shubman scored 126*(63) against New Zealand in the 3rd T20I match in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. It was his maiden century in a T20I match. Further, it was the highest score by an Indian in T20I cricket. With this century, he now has scored a century in all the 3 formats of cricket.
- In March 2023, Shubman revealed that he had a crush on actress Rashmika Mandanna. However, later, he denied any such media interaction where he revealed his crush.
- As per the list released in March 2023, Shubman Gill was included in BCCI’s Grade B which was a 3-crore annual contract list for the 2022-2023 season.
- In 2023, Shubman Gill voiced the role of Pavitr Prabhakar, the Indian Spiderman in Hindi and Punjabi languages. The Indian Spiderman film was titled Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.
- For IPL 2023 which concluded in May 2023, Gill was the ‘Orange Cap’ winner.
- Shubman made the most 30-plus scores in a single season of IPL history in IPL 2023. He made 13, 30-plus scores which is a record. Before him, Virat Kohli and Kane Williamson made 30-plus scores, 12 times in 2016 and 2018 respectively.
- In October 2023, Shubman was tested positive for dengue. At that time, Team India was yet to make its debut in the ongoing ODI World Cup.
- In October 2023, Shubman became the first Indian cricketer to win the ICC men’s “Player of the Month” award more than once. He won the honor in January 2023 as well as in September 2023.
- In October 2023, Shubman became the fastest player to score 2,000 runs in ODI cricket history.
- In November 2023, in the middle of the 2023 ODI World Cup, he achieved the #1 world ranking in ICC’s ODI batter’s list with 830 rating points. Pakistan’s Babar Azam was #2 at that time with 824 rating points.
- In November 2023, Shubman was named as the captain of Gujarat Titans ahead of IPL 2024 after the departure of Hardik Pandya to Mumbai Indians.
Featured Image by Shubman Gill / Instagram