|Vance Joy Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||December 1, 1987|
Vance Joy is an Australian singer and songwriter who has gained popularity with his single Riptide, described as a “coming of age love story”. The song was voted number #1 on the 2013 Triple J Hottest 100 as well as became the longest-charting song in ARIA Chart history. His discography also includes other tracks, albums, and extended plays like Dream Your Life Away, Nation of Two, God Loves You When You’re Dancing, From Afar, First Time, Mess Is Mine, Fire and the Flood, Georgia, Straight into Your Arms, We’re Going Home, Like Gold, Lay It on Me, Saturday Sun, Don’t Fade, You (with Benny Blanco and Marshmello), Call If You Need Me, Missing Piece, and I’m with You.
James Gabriel Keogh
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
In 2014, Vance started living on the road touring across the USA, Australia, Canada, and the UK.
Vance graduated in 2005 from an all-boys primary and secondary Catholic School called St. Kevin’s College in Toorak. He was made school captain while studying there and scored the maximum VCE score of 50 in English at the end of Year 12 of his curriculum.
He went on to acquire a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws from Monash University in Melbourne. Having studied law for 6 years, Vance only needs to complete a one-year-long compulsory traineeship to become a full-time lawyer.
- Father – Computer Trader
- Mother – High school English Teacher
- Siblings – He has one sister.
Vance Joy has been managed by Jaddan Commerford and Rachel Tulloch from We Are Unified Management.
He has also been signed with Paradigm Talent Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
- Indie Pop
- Indie Folk
- Atlantic Records
- Liberation Music
- Infectious Music
- F-Stop Music
6 ft 4½ in or 194 cm
92 kg or 203 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vance has dated –
- Selen Us – In November 2022, Vance confirmed during an interview that he had gotten engaged to his longtime girlfriend Selen Us. In June 2023, it was revealed that the couple had tied the knot.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish ancestry.
- Curly Hair – Maintains a cropped Afro style
- Height – Towers above most other people
12 (US) or 11.5 (UK) or 46 (EU)
- His hit single Riptide was used in the USA’s advertising campaign for GoPro.
- He endorsed the Polished Man campaign to end violence against children and protect them from physical or sexual violence.
His religious views are not confirmed but people find religious connotations and Biblical inferences in his songs. A strong Catholic association is particularly sensed in his song, ‘Mess is mine.’
Vance claims that frequent traveling all over the world has made him respectful towards all religions.
Best Known For
His hit single, Riptide (2013), which became the best-selling song in Australia in 2013 and earned Vance a five-album deal with Atlantic Records
Dream Your Life Away (September 2014). It reached #1 on Australian music charts.
First TV Show
In 2014, he was seen in the game show Spicks and Specks as himself.
As a former athlete, Vance claims he still retains a great metabolism that gives him the liberty to indulge in baked, processed sweet treats, especially while on the road. However, after a period, he goes back to consuming healthy organic food, particularly kale because he realizes excess sugar consumption is harmful. Nevertheless, he comforts himself with baked desserts, particularly at the end of a stressful day.
Vance Joy Favorite Things
- Actors – Ralph Fiennes, Edward Norton
- Comedian – Jim Carrey
- Animated Movie – The Muppets (2011), Muppets Most Wanted (2014)
- Actress – Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes, Nicole Kidman
- Man Crush – Michael Fassbender
- Female Celebrity Crush – Michelle Williams
- Hobbies – Reading books, Playing Frisbee, Lone visits to Movie Theatres, Skateboarding
- Passion After Music – Movies
- Music Influences – George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Paul Kelly
- Life Lesson – Be soft and flexible like a branch. If you are rigid like a tree, you will crack.
- Music Style – Acoustic Storytelling
- Bands – Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Savage Garden
- A Place for a First Date – Botanical Gardens, Melbourne
- Ice-breaker on the First Date – Long walks
- Songs he likes to cover by other artists – Fall At Your Feet by Crowded House, You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon, The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
- Food Indulgence – Cinnabons
- Word – Rad/Radical
- Emoji – Monkey covering his eyes
Vance Joy Facts
- James came up with the pseudonym Vance Joy after reading a novel named Bliss by Peter Carey.
- He wanted to debut with his Extended Play God Loves You When You’re Dancing (2013) using a new identity because people often mispronounced his last name ‘Keogh’.
- After finishing his law degree, Vance gave himself a year to pursue music and started with Open-mic performances at various places in Melbourne.
- After completing his education, he moved into a small house in Brunswick with a friend and started working as a gardener 3 times a week. Simultaneously, he played in a café in the afternoons introducing himself as Vance Joy to separate his public and private persona.
- Had his music career not taken off, Vance intended to become a teacher or a librarian.
- While in college, Vance played Australian Rules Football at the semi-professional level. He was awarded for being the best debut player in 2008 by the Victorian Football League in which he competed for two years in a row as a member of the Coburg Football Club.
- The hit single Riptide claims Vance was afraid of dentists because he got braces when he was 14 years old which added to his general awkwardness and lack of confidence at that age.
- He was a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer growing up and knows the entire Buffy Musical by heart.
- Vance is extremely fond of movies and remembers the uncanny amount of background detail about all the movies, he has seen growing up from 1999 to 2014.
- He accompanied Taylor Swift on ‘The 1989 World Tour’ that started in May 2015 and concluded in Melbourne, Australia in December 2015. Vance was one of the opening acts along with Canadian singer, Shawn Mendes.
- Vance is slightly self-conscious about his head and lips. He thinks they are too large in proportion to the rest of his body.
- In 2015, his hit single, Riptide became the longest-running song in Australian charts by staying in ARIA Top 100 for 107 continuous weeks.
- On February 23, 2018, he released his 2nd studio album titled Nation of Two through Liberation Music. Explaining the album, Vance Joy said, “Nation of Two describes a perfectly self-contained couple; their world beginning and ending at the bed they share, the car they ride in, or any other place where they’re together… the idea that their love for each other gives them their bearings; a point of reference that makes sense of life.”
- The album Nation of Two peaked at number #1 on the US Folk Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #3 on the US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) chart, and at number #10 on the US Billboard 200 chart. Also, it was certified ‘Platinum’ by Music Canada and ‘Gold’ by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).
- Visit Vance Joy’s official website @ vancejoy.com.