|Juhi Chawla Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||November 13, 1967|
Juhi Chawla is a well-reputed actress and beauty queen who started at the age of 19 and has appeared in more than 90 films until 2019. A few of her notable silver screen appearances are in Pratibandh (1990), Bol Radha Bol (1992), Aaina (1993), Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1993), Darr (1993), Ram Jaane (1995), Deewana Mastana (1997), Yes Boss (1997), Ishq (1997) Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988), Arjun Pandit (1999), Jhankaar Beats (2003), My Brother Nikhil (2005), I Am (2011), Gulaab Gang (2014) and Chalk n Duster (2016). She has also worked with many profound celebrities across the Indian entertainment industry including Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Govinda, Prosenjit Chatterjee, Rishi Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Ajay Devgn, Akshay Kumar, and Sanjay Dutt. On the other hand, Juhi is also the proud receiver of the 1984 “Miss India” title as well as the “Best National Costume Award” at the “Miss Universe” beauty pageant.
With time, Juhi has also won and been nominated for more than 2 dozen awards including reputable ones such as the Filmfare Award, IIFA Award, as Zee Cine Award, and the Bollywood Movie Award. Her achievements over the years have also a garnered Juhi a huge fan base with more than 5 million followers Twitter, more than 2 million followers on Instagram, and more than 2 million followers on Facebook.
Ambala, Haryana, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Juhi attended the Fort Convent School in Mumbai before attaining her degree in Human Resources from Sydenham College.
Actress, Beauty Queen
- Father – Dr. S Chawla (Indian Revenue Service Officer)
- Mother – Mona Chawla (Hotel Employee)
- Siblings – Bobby Chawla (Brother) (d. March 9, 2014), Sonia Chawla (d. October 2012)
- Others – Kiara Advani (Niece) (Actress)
Juhi is represented by Preet Kaur.
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Juhi has dated –
- Jay Mehta (1995-Present) – Businessman Jay Mehta and Juhi tied the knot with one another in December 1995. Jay had previously been married to businessman Yash Birla’s sister Sujata Birla until she died in a plane crash in Bangalore in the year 1990. Their love story began after they met one another on the set of Karobaar: The Business of Love (2000). Director Rakesh Roshan and Jay are good friends which led to the introduction of them during the filming. It is said that the couple met almost every day on the set and off-set as well and Juhi helped Jay put his life together once again. The hardship that they went through drove them closer to one another and hence leading them to a happier marriage. The couple has 2 children together including daughter Jhanvi Mehta. She would like to be a writer.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Punjabi descent on her father’s side and has Gujarati ancestry on her mother’s side.
- She smiles to the left side.
- Plush lips
- Oval face shape
Juhi has appeared in commercials for various brands such as –
- Fair & Lovely
- Kesh King
- Gai Banaspati & Cooking Oil
Best Known For
- Winning the title of Miss India in 1984
- Being crowned “Best National Costume” at the 1984 “Miss Universe” beauty pageant
- Her portrayal of Rashmi Singh in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988), Shanti in Pratibandh (1990), Radha in Bol Radha Bol (1992), Reema Mathur in Aaina (1993), Vyjayanti in Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1993), Kiran Awasti in Darr (1993), Bela in Ram Jaane (1995), Dr Neha Sharma in Deewana Mastana (1997), Seema Kapoor in Yes Boss (1997), Madhu in Ishq (1997), Nisha Chopra in Arjun Pandit (1999), Shanti in Jhankaar Beats (2003), Anamika in My Brother Nikhil (2005), Megha in I Am (2011), Sumitra Devi in Gulaab Gang (2014) and Jyoti in Chalk n Duster (2016)
- Working along with the likes of many reputed stars like Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Govinda, Prosenjit Chatterjee, Rishi Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Ajay Devgn, Akshay Kumar, and Sanjay Dutt
- Receiving and being nominated for various awards such as the Filmfare Award, IIFA Award, as Zee Cine Award, and the Bollywood Movie Award
- Being featured on the cover of many regarded magazines such as Savvy, Society, Fusion Life, and Filmfare
Juhi made her debut theatrical film appearance as Zarina in director Mukul S. Anand’s Sultanat in 1964. She worked along with the likes of Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Sridevi, Amrish Puri, Shakti Kapoor, Tom Alter, and Karan Kapoor.
She made her first Kannada theatrical film appearance as Shashikala in director Ravichandran’s Premaloka in 1987. The following year the film was released in Tamil under the title, Paruva Ragam. This marked her debut in the Tamil film industry.
Chawla made her debut Telugu theatrical film appearance as Jaya in Kaliyuga Karnudu in 1988.
Juhi made her debut Bengali theatrical film appearance as Deepika in director Sujit Guha’s Amar Prem in 1989. She was cast alongside well-known actor and producer Prosenjit Chatterjee.
She made her first Malayalam theatrical film appearance as Mira Varma in director Aleksa Muhammed Fazil’s Harikrishnans in 1998. Juhi worked along with the likes of distinguished actors Mammotty and Mohanlal.
Her first Punjabi theatrical film debut was as Jassi in director Manoj Punj’s in Des Hoya Pardes in 2004 alongside well-known singer and actor Gurdas Mann and actress Divya Dutta.
As a voice actress, she made her debut as the lead character Sita in Ramayana: The Epic in 2010.
She made her first Gujarati theatrical film appearance as a “Doctor” in director Umang Vyas’s Ventilator in 2018. The film was an adaptation of the 2016 Marathi film with the same title that had been directed by Rajesh Mapuskar and produced by Priyanka Chopra.
First TV Show
She made her debut TV show appearance in Bahadur Shah Zafar in 1986.
Juhi is not quite the gym bug. Nevertheless, she strongly believes in the power of her fitness from yoga. She begins each day while sitting facing the sun and practices her asana. Besides that, Juhi also does pilates every alternate day.
As for her diet routine, Juhi is said to be following a healthy vegetarian diet. Besides that, she eats plenty of fruit in the mornings.
She begins her day with at least 3 to 4 glasses of water. Then she eats fruits for breakfast, the majority mostly being papaya. She also advises her fans to drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water throughout the day. Besides that, she believes that lemon and lukewarm water is a great detox remedy.
She is also cautious about her diet routine and opts to consume less spicy and more boiled food. Juhi also considers yogurt to be a healthy skin moisturizer and dry skin remedy. The next tip she has for her fans is to not go for cheap cosmetics and instead figure out home remedies.
Juhi Chawla Favorite Things
- Actors To Work With – Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan
Source – Times Of India
Juhi Chawla Facts
- She spent the first 4 years of her life alongside her brother Bobby and sister Sonia in Ambala, Haryana. Thereafter, the family briefly lived in Delhi before moving to Mumbai.
- Juhi’s father served as an Indian Revenue Service officer in the past. Whereas her mother worked in the housekeeping department in The Oberoi, Delhi. It was due to her mother that the family shifted to Mumbai as she had gotten a job a Taj.
- Before making her way into the film industry in 1986, she competed and was crowned “Miss India” by winning the pageant in 1984. The same year, she also took part in the “Miss Universe” competition and won the title of “Best National Costume.”
- She was crowned Miss India in 1984 by actress Rekha.
- She made her debut film appearance in 1986, at the age of 19 alongside many well-known stars like Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Sridevi, Amrish Puri, and Shakti Kapoor. The film also marked the debut of actor Karan Kapoor.
- In 1988, Juhi became the first actress to ever win the Filmfare Award for “Lux New Face of the Year.” She received the award for her incredible acting in the Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak in which she acted alongside well-noted actor Aamir Khan.
- Juhi traveled across the world alongside distinguished celebrities Shahrukh Khan, Akshay Kumar, and Kajol under the title Awesome Foursome in 1998. Amongst the many countries that they traveled to were the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Malaysia.
- She lost her mother Mona in 1998, who had died in a freak accident while in Prague.
- She founded the production house Dreamz Unlimited alongside actor Shahrukh Khan and film director Aziz Mirza in the year 2000. The very first film that they launched under their production was the hit Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (2000). Later, the company’s name was changed to Red Chillies Entertainment. It was headed by Juhi’s brother Bobby until he went into a coma in 2010.
- Juhi appeared as a judge on the hit reality dance show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa in 2010.
- She and her husband Jay partnered with actor Shahrukh Khan in 2008 and bought the T-20 IPL’s Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) for an astonishing $ 75.09 million.
- In 2009, she was cast in a guest role in American director Steven Speilberg’s romedy film The Hundred Foot Journey alongside actor Om Puri and American actress Helen Mirren.
- She hosted the Color’s Badmaash Company- Ek Shararat Hone Ko Hai in 2011.
- Juhi’s brother Bobby, passed away on March 9, 2014. He had been in a coma for almost 4 years after suffering from a heart attack while having dinner at a restaurant in April 2010.
- Besides just being an amazing actress, Juhi is also a trained classical singer and Kathak dancer.
- She has worked in films of all languages English, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada.
- In 2018, Juhi was chosen as the face of the third edition of the Ministry of Women & Child Development’s “Women’s Organic Festival of India.”
- Juhi has turned down many roles throughout her career in order to steer clear of the sexy word. Hence, maintaining an elegant and graceful silver screen appearance.
- She considers herself to be a born traveler and feels most connected to Indonesia and Japan.
- In 2021, she had filed a lawsuit against the telecom technology up-gradation and 5G trials in High Court which was rejected and called a publicity stunt. She was fined INR 20 lakhs too.
- Her daughter Jhanvi Mehta is the youngest person to be allowed to sit at the auction table during the IPL auctions in 2019. She was 17 at that time.
- Juhi lost her sister Sonia in October 2012 to cancer.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0