|Meredith Vieira Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||December 30, 1953|
|Spouse||Richard M. Cohen |
Meredith Vieira is an American broadcaster and television host who is most prominently known for being the original moderator of the talk show The View (1997–2006) and the original host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (2002–2013). Other than that, she also co-hosts NBC’s morning news program Today (2006–2011) and as of January 2023, she had been hosting the weekday game show 25 Words or Less.
Meredith Louise Vieira
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Irvington, Westchester County, New York, United States
Meredith studied at the Lincoln School, from where she graduated in 1971. From there, she went on to pursue a degree in English at Tufts University, graduating in 1975.
Broadcast Journalist, Television Host
- Father – Edwin Vieira (Doctor)
- Mother – Mary Elsie Rosa (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Jeff Vieira (Older Brother), Edwin Vieira (Older Brother), Steve Vieira (Older Brother)
- Others – António/Antone Claudio Vieira (Paternal Grandfather), Maria/Mary Louise Costa (Paternal Grandmother), Domingos “Dominick” Correia/Correira da Rosa (Maternal Grandfather), Filomena/Philomena L. “Fanny” Silvia/Silva Silveira/Silveria (Maternal Grandmother)
Meredith Vieira’s net worth was $45 Million according to Celebrity Net Worth.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Meredith has been married to –
- Richard M. Cohen (1986-Present) – Meredith has been married to journalist, television producer, and author Richard Merrill Cohen since June 14, 1986. Richard, who is legally blind, worked with CBS News as a former senior producer. Together, the couple has 3 children, the younger of which, Gabe Cohen is a reporter based in Washington State.
Race / Ethnicity
Meredith is of Azorean Portuguese descent.
Strong stage presence
Meredith Vieira Favorite Things
- Reality Star Guests – Theresa Caputo, NeNe Leakes, Jonathan Silver Scott, Drew Scott, Bethenny Frankel, Jon Taffer, Joseph Simmons (Rev Run)
Source – IMDb
Meredith Vieira Facts
- She was raised in the East Providence of Rhode Island as a Roman Catholic. However, Meredith has since denounced her faith stating “spirituality, not a religion”.
- Her mother and father were both first-generation Portuguese Americans.
- Meredith has a pet dog named Jasper.
- Her grandparents were descendants of the Azores—three from Faial Island.
- Meredith started her career as a broadcaster in 1975, working as an announcer for WORC radio in Worcester, Massachusetts. After that, she went on to work as a local reporter and anchor at WJAR-TV in Providence before finding her place as an investigative reporter for WCBS-TV in New York City from 1979 to 1982.
- On September 16, 2002, she became the first host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and went on to win two Daytime Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Game Show Host” in 2005 and 2009.
- In the past, Meredith has contributed to Dateline NBC, Rock Center with Brian Williams, and NBC Nightly News.
- She hosted her very own syndicate talk show, The Meredith Vieira Show from 2014 to 2016.
- In Portuguese, her last name Vieira means “scallop”.
Featured Image By Daniel Flather / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0