|Qinwen Zheng Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||October 8, 2002|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Qinwen Zheng is a Chinese professional tennis player who is adept at the singles format of the sport having been rated as high as world number 19 in May 2023, as per the official WTA (Women’s Tennis Association – the principal organizing body of women’s professional tennis) rankings. At Grand Slam (Australian Open/French Open/Wimbledon Championship/US Open) tournaments, in the singles format, her best performance, as of August 2023, was reaching the 4th round of the 2022 French Open. For her performances that season, Qinwen was named the ‘2022 WTA Newcomer of the Year’. As of August 2023, she had won a solitary singles title on the WTA Tour (a worldwide top-tier tennis tour for women organized by the WTA) – the 2023 Palermo Ladies Open (a WTA 250 (the lowest tier of tournaments on the WTA Tour) event). Interestingly, Qinwen had made her WTA Tour debut at the 2021 edition of the same tournament. She had also recorded her first win on the WTA Tour in that tournament – defeating 2nd seed Liudmila Samsonova in the 1st round.
Queenwen, Baby Q, Ana
Shiyan, Hubei, China
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Chinese descent.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, straight hair
- Cheerful smile
- Radiant face
- Has a mole near her nose
She has been sponsored by –
- Nike, Inc. (American multinational footwear, apparel, and sports equipment brand)
- The Wilson Sporting Goods Company (American sports equipment manufacturer)
- Alipay (Chinese third-party mobile and online payment platform)
Qinwen Zheng Facts
- At the 2022 French Open, on her tournament debut, Qinwen defeated 2018 champion Simona Halep in 3 sets in the 2nd round. This was the first win of her career over a player ranked in the ‘Top 20’ of the official WTA singles rankings.
- The win meant that she had advanced to the 3rd round of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time in her career. There, she was leading 6-0, 3-0 when Alizé Cornet retired. Qinwen eventually lost to top seed and then world number 1 Iga Świątek in the 4th round – in 3 sets, winning the first.
- Iga went on to win the 2022 French Open, her 2nd such title (the first was in 2020, she would also win in 2023). The aforementioned set against Qinwen was the only one she had dropped during the 2022 French Open. Due to her performance in this tournament, Qinwen moved to a new career-high singles ranking of 54.
- About a month later, she made her Wimbledon Championships debut and reached the 3rd round where she lost to eventual champion Elena Rybakina.
- In August 2022, she defeated 5th seed and then world number 5 Ons Jabeur in the 2nd round of the Canadian Open. She was leading 6-1, 2-1 when Ons retired. This was the first win of her career over a player ranked in the ‘Top 10’ of the official WTA singles rankings.
- Qinwen then defeated Bianca Andreescu in 3 sets in the 3rd round to reach the quarterfinal of a WTA 1000 (an annual series of 9 prestigious tennis tournaments featuring the top-ranked players on the WTA Tour) event for the first time in her career. There, she lost to Karolína Plíšková in 3 sets.
- At the 2022 US Open, on her tournament debut, she reached the 3rd round where she was defeated by Jule Niemeier in straight sets.
- In September 2022, in the 2nd round of the Pan Pacific Open (a WTA 500 (the 4th-highest tier of tournaments on the WTA Tour) event), Qinwen upset top seed and then world number 4 Paula Badosa. This was the second win of her career over a player ranked in the ‘Top 10’ of the official WTA singles rankings and the first in a completed match. She went on to reach the tournament’s semi-final stage where she defeated 4th seed Veronika Kudermetova in 3 sets.
- This made her the first Chinese teenager ever to have reached the final of an event on the WTA Tour. In the final, she lost to Liudmila Samsonova in straight sets but her performance in the tournament saw her reach a new career-high singles ranking of 28. This made Qinwen the first Chinese teenager to have broken into the ‘Top 30’ of the official WTA singles rankings.
- In January 2023, during the qualifying phase of the Adelaide International 2 (a WTA 500 event), she recorded her first ‘double bagel’ (a win against an opponent by a 6–0, 6–0 scoreline) match on the WTA Tour. Overall, it was the 3rd such win in her professional career.
- In May 2023, on her tournament debut at the Italian Open, she was seeded 22nd and received a first-round bye. She won her matches in the 2nd round and the 3rd round in straight sets. In the tournament’s 4th round, she defeated compatriot Wang Xiyu in 3 sets. This meant that she had reached the quarterfinal of a WTA 1000 event for the second time in her career and the first time at a clay court event.
- There, Qinwen was defeated by 11th seed Veronika Kudermetova in 3 sets. Her performance in the tournament saw her reach a new career-high singles ranking of 19. This made her just the 5th Chinese player ever to have broken into the ‘Top 20’ of the official WTA singles rankings. Li Na, Wang Qiang, Peng Shuai, and Zheng Jie had achieved this feat before her.
- In July 2023, she defeated Sara Errani by a 6–0, 6–0 scoreline (her second ‘double bagel’ win on the WTA Tour and the 4th overall in her professional career) in the 1st round of the Palermo Ladies Open (a WTA 250 event). Qinwen went on to win the tournament – her first singles title on the WTA Tour. She was also the first Chinese player to have won this title.
Featured Image by Qinwen Zheng / Instagram