|Billy Porter Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 21, 1969|
Billy Porter is an American pop singer, actor, performer, vocal coach, director, dancer, writer, producer, and voiceover artist who has won several awards and nominations for contributing extensively to the entertainment industry. Over the years, he has been honored with Tony Award, Grammy Award, Outer Critics Circle Award, GLAAD Media Award, Drama Desk Award, Dorian Award, and Broadway.com Audience Award. He has worked in several stage productions such as Grease!, Topdog /Underdog, Jesus Christ Superstar, Dreamgirls, Myths and Hymns, Songs for a New World, Miss Saigon, The Merchant of Venice, Radiant Baby, Little Shop of Horrors, and Putting It Together. Moreover, Billy Porter’s appearances in movies and shows include his work in The First Wives Club, Twisted, Noel, The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy, Limited Partners, Another World, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, So You Think You Can Dance, The Big C, Pose, and American Horror Story: Apocalypse. He also loves experimenting with fashion and has been setting up the bar at various events with his excellent choices in costumes and dresses. At the 2019 Met Gala, Billy Porter became one of the most talked about celebrities for doing justice to the theme of ‘Camp: Notes on Fashion’ by wearing a “Sun God” ensemble. Billy Porter has also garnered a huge social media fan base with more than 700k followers on Instagram, more than 80k followers on Facebook, and more than 110k followers on Twitter.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Billy Porter studied at Reizenstein Middle School before moving on to pursue high school education at Taylor Allderdice High School, a public high school located in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Later, he graduated from the Pittsburgh Creative and Performing Arts School in 1987.
Afterward, Billy Porter got enrolled at the College of Fine Arts at Carnegie Mellon University located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. From there, he graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Drama. Apart from that, he also received a certification from the graduate-level Professional Program In Screenwriting at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Pop Singer, Actor, Performer, Vocal Coach, Director, Dancer, Advocate, Writer, Producer, Voiceover Artist
- Father – William E. Porter
- Mother – Cloerinda Jean Johnson Porter Ford
- Siblings – MaryMartha Ford-Dieng (Sister)
Billy Porter is represented by Industry Entertainment Productions, LLC, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States.
R&B, Soul, Jazz
Billy Porter has released his music via A&M Records, Concord Music Group, and Sh-K-Boom Records.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Billy Porter has dated –
- Adam Smith (2009-2010, 2015-Present) – Billy Porter and the co-owner of a New York-based eyewear company named Native Ken, Adam Smith, first met one another at a mutual friend’s dinner party that was held at Sosa Borella, a restaurant located in Hell’s Kitchen in Manhattan, New York City, New York in 2009. It was Billy Porter who first noticed Adam Smith amongst all the guests and made up his mind to seat himself beside Smith. They instantly hit it up and soon started dating. However, the following year, they decided to take a break but continued to be close friends even after. Then in 2015, after staying close for the past few years, they rekindled their romance and started their relationship afresh. The duo tied the knot on January 14, 2017, and the marriage was officiated at the home of Lynn and Harvey Ravner in New York. They have since been together and can be seen attending various social events together as well.
Race / Ethnicity
Billy Porter is of African-American descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Unique fashion sense
- Sports a goatee
- Curly hair
Billy Porter has either endorsed or promoted a number of brands such as Champion, Gucci, TOM FORD, Oscar Heyman, and PRECIOSA Components.
Best Known For
- His performance in the Broadway musical, Kinky Boots, for which he won a Tony Award in the “Best Actor in a Musical” category in 2013, Outer Critics Circle Award in the “Outstanding Actor in a Musical” category in 2013, Drama Desk Award in the “Outstanding Actor in a Musical” category in 2013, Broadway.com Audience Award in the “Favorite Actor in a Musical” category in 2013, and Grammy Award in the “Best Musical Theater Album” category in 2014
- Winning a Dorian Award in the “TV Performance of the Year – Actor” category for his part in the TV drama series, Pose, in 2019
Billy Porter released his debut album, Billy Porter, in 1997 via DV8 /A&M Records.
Billy Porter made his first feature film appearance as Shiniqua /Angel’s friend in the drama film, Twisted, in 1996. The film was premiered at Reeling Chicago Gay Lesbian Film Festival in November 1996 and the cast included the likes of Ray Aranha, Keivyn McNeill Grayes, Elise Ballard, Sharlene Brown, Erik Jensen, Anthony Crivello, and David Norona.
He made his first theatrical film appearance as a singer/performer in the comedy-drama film, The First Wives Club, in 1996. It starred the likes of Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton, Dan Hedaya, Bronson Pinchot, and Marcia Gay Harden.
As a voice actor, Billy Porter made his theatrical film debut as Ensemble and character voices in the animated musical historical fantasy adventure film, Anastasia, in 1997. The lead cast of the film included Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, Christopher Lloyd, Hank Azaria, Bernadette Peters, Kirsten Dunst, and Angela Lansbury.
First TV Show
Billy Porter made his first TV show appearance as himself in an episode of the comedy talk-show series, The Rosie O’Donnell Show, in September 1996 alongside the likes of Tim Allen, Elizabeth Hurley, and Stanley Tucci.
As a voice actor, Billy Porter made his TV show debut by providing vocals to the character of Jackie Walker in an episode, titled Dissonant Voices, of the crime drama mystery series, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, in November 2013.
Billy Porter Favorite Things
- Shades From The Brand ‘Native Ken’ – The ones with the retro look
Source – Facebook
Billy Porter Facts
- Billy Porter grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
- He joined an entertainment group named Flash during the summers of 1985-1987 and used to perform on a daily basis at Kennywood Park in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania.
- He has been a part of several plays, song cycles, and musicals such as Grease!, Topdog/Underdog, Jesus Christ Superstar, Dreamgirls, Myths and Hymns, Songs for a New World, Miss Saigon, The Merchant of Venice, Radiant Baby, Little Shop of Horrors, and Putting It Together.
- In 2006, Billy Porter was nominated for a GLAAD Media Award in the “Outstanding New York Theater: Broadway & Off-Broadway Award” category for his one-man autobiographical show, titled Ghetto Superstar (The Man That I Am), which he both wrote and performed in at Joe’s Pub in New York City in February and March 2005.
- In February 2007, he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
- In September 2010, he was cast as Belize in Signature Theatre Company’s 20th Anniversary production of the two-part play by playwright and screenwriter, Tony Kushner.
- As a singer, Billy Porter has released a couple of albums such as At the Corner of Broadway + Soul, Billy Porter, Billy’s Back on Broadway, and Billy Porter Presents the Soul of Richard Rodger.
- His cover of Celine Dion‘s song “Only One Road” was included on the Human Rights Campaign compilation album titled Love Rocks.
- His work as a writer includes the play While I Yet Live which premiered Off-Broadway at Primary Stages on September 24, 2014.
- Billy Porter has become a huge fashion icon and caught everyone’s attention at the 2019 Golden Globes as he wore an embroidered suit and pink cape designed by Randi Rahm. The same year, he amazed the audience at the 91st Academy Awards by wearing a fitted tuxedo jacket and a velvet gown by Christian Siriano along with 6″ Rick Owens boots.
- At the 2019 Met Gala, Billy Porter was counted as one of the best-dressed celebrities as he did justice to the Camp: Notes on Fashion theme by wearing a “Sun God” ensemble with the outfit being designed by The Blonds. He was carried on a litter by 6 shirtless men and his costume included a bejeweled catsuit outfitted with 10-foot wings, a 24-karat gold headpiece, custom gold-leaf Giuseppe Zanotti shoes, and fine jewels by Andreoli, John Hardy, and Oscar Heyman.
- He has appeared in a number of films and shows such as The First Wives Club, The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy, The Humbling, Limited Partners, Noel, Law & Order, So You Think You Can Dance, Live! with Kelly, The Big C, Land of Lola: Backstage at Kinky Boots, Entertainment Tonight Canada, The Get Down, American Horror Story: Apocalypse, Pose, and Shake, Rattle and Roll: An American Love Story.
- Billy Porter has also appeared in an episode of the famous talk/variety show, The RuPaul Show.
- He has also been featured in various songs on the tribute album titled It’s Only Life: The Songs of John Bucchino.
- He shares a close bond with the comedian, actress, author, and television personality, Rosie O’Donnell.
- As a producer, Billy Porter has worked on several episodes of the TV drama series, Mess.
- Actor-Singer Billy Porter made his directorial debut with the high school coming-of-age drama film, What If?
- In May 2021, Billy revealed that he was HIV positive and was diagnosed in June 2007.
- In September 2021, he was honored with the “Elizabeth Taylor Commitment to End AIDS Award” at the 2021 Elizabeth Taylor Ball to End AIDS.
- In December 2022, Billy received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Visit his official website @ billyporter.com.
Featured Image by Billy Porter / Instagram