Julia O’Hara Stiles
New York City, New York, USA
Stiles attended Friends Seminary School in Manhattan for primary education.
Julia then went to college preparatory school called The Professional Children’s School in New York and finished schooling in 1999.
She studied and received a degree in English literature after having graduated from Columbia University in 2005.
Later, in 2010, she received a John Jay Award. The award is given by Columbia College Alumni Association to five alumni annually for professional achievements.
- Father – John O’Hara (Businessman)
- Mother – Judith Newcomb Stiles (Potter)
- Siblings – She has two siblings – both younger.
She is signed to several talent agencies as listed below –
- Untitled Entertainment (Talent Management Company)
- John Carrabino Management
- Creative Artists Agency
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
58 kg or 128 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Julia Stiles dated –
- Heath Ledger (1999-2000) – In 1999, Australian actor Heath Ledger and Julia met on the set of “10 Things I Hate About You”. They dated at that time for a couple of months before parting ways in 2000.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (1999) – In 1999, actors Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Stiles were RUMORed to be dating together when they met on the set of 1999 film “10 Things I Hate About You.”
- Josh Hartnett (1999) – In 1999, actors Josh Hartnett and Julia Stiles met on the set of 2001 movie “O.” They dated briefly in that year before calling it quits.
- Joshua Jackson (2000) – In 2000, actors Joshua and Julia were rumored to be dating each other.
- Jonathan Cramer (2006-2008) – In 2006, Stiles started dating artist Jonathan Cramer (and not a composer and musical theorist). They dated for over two years and finally called off their relationship in August 2008.
- Michael C. Hall (2010-2011) – In 2010, Julia played the role as Lumen Pierce in TV series Dexter in 10 episodes. During that time, she was RUMORed to be dating the actor Michael C. Hall (who plays the lead role as Dexter Morgan). Their RUMORed relationship ended in 2011. During that time, Michael had also split with his wife Jennifer Carpenter.
- David Harbour (2011-2015) – In 2011, Julia started dating actor David Harbour. He is about 7 years her senior. They appeared together in the film Between Us (2012) and developed a strong connection for each other. While living together in New York City, they dated for 4 years.
- Preston J. Cook (2015-Present) – After splitting from David, she then started dating camera assistant, Preston J. Cook. They worked together in the thriller film, Blackway. On January 3, 2016, the couple revealed about their engagement. In September 2017, they got married. On October 20, 2017, Julia gave birth to couple’s first child, son Strummer Newcomb. In November 2021, it was revealed that Julia and Preston were expecting their 2nd child together.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English, German, and Irish ancestry.
- Strawberry blonde hair
- Deep sultry voice
33-24-35 in or 84-61-89 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU) or 8 (UK)
8 (US) or 38.5 (EU)
She appeared in print ads for Calvin Klein Jeans in 1999.
Later, in 1993, Julia appeared in television commercials for Apple Jacks, Stoli Vodka, and Tide.
Best Known For
Playing Kat Stratford in the teen romantic comedy-drama film 10 Things I Hate About You (1999), as Carla in comedy film State and Main (2000), as Sara Johnson in MTV Films’ Save the Last Dance (2001).
Julia is also known for playing Lumen Pierce in the drama TV series Dexter in 2010.
Julia Stiles appeared in 1996 romantic drama film I Love You, I Love You Not for her role as young Nana’s Friend.
First TV Show
From 1993 to 1994, Stiles played the role as Erica Dansby in the children’s mystery television series Ghostwriter in 6 episodes.
As a child, Julia didn’t pay attention to what she ate. She would eat pizza just after de-boarding school bus with her friend. She started paying attention only after becoming a teenager.
She was a vegan previously. But, she left the practice after becoming anemic. She felt she was not getting proper nutrition and hence incorporated red meat in her diet and other foods. But, she eats meat only from good sources.
She also likes to do yoga to keep herself relaxed and stress free.
Julia Stiles Favorite Things
- Food – Kale salad with avocado (at Locali in Los Angeles), pine nuts
Source – Gourmet.com
Julia Stiles Facts
- Stiles started acting at 11.
- Julia first performed at New York’s La MaMa Theatre Company.
- Stiles was previously a vegan. She now eats red meat occasionally. This all happened as she was not getting proper nutrition with vegan foods while traveling. Hence, she gave up the idea of veganism.
- She is a feminist.
- Julia loves watching baseball and soccer. She is a fan of New York Mets (baseball) and New York Red Bulls (soccer).
- She is a very big fan of horror movies.
- Since 2012, she has appeared in many episodes of drama web series Blue for her title role as Blue.
- She grew up with Claire Danes and Zac Posen.
- At Columbia University, she was classmates with Anna Paquin.