|Keanu Reeves Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1¼ in|
|Date of Birth||September 2, 1964|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Keanu Reeves is a Canadian actor, voiceover artist, producer, film director, and musician whose career started with theatre and television roles. Since then, he has been cast in a variety of on-screen roles which include Ted “Theodore” Logan in Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure and its sequels, Jardani Jovanovich/John “The Boogeyman” Wick in the John Wick film series, John Constantine in Constantine, Prince Siddhartha in Little Buddha, Thomas Anderson/Neo in The Matrix series, Dr. William Beckham in To The Bone, Hank in The Neon Demon, Frank in Destination Wedding, Richard Ramsay in The Whole Truth, Bob in A Happening of Monumental Proportions, John in Generation Um…, Detective Tom Ludlow in Street Kings, Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still, Marlon James in I Love You to Death, and Jonathan Harker in Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
Keanu Charles Reeves
The Wall, The One
Keanu Reeves was enrolled at the Etobicoke School of the Arts. However, he was expelled from Etobicoke for behavioral problems. He also went to De La Salle College.
Post that, he joined Avondale Secondary Alternative School, where he was given permission to pursue an acting career while studying. However, he dropped out without completing his high school education. Overall, he attended 4 high schools in a 5-year period.
Actor, Film Director, Producer, Musician, Voiceover Artist
- Father – Samuel Nowlin Reeves, Jr. (He abandoned Keanu and his mother when he was 3 years old)
- Mother – Patricia Taylor (Costume Designer and Performer)
- Siblings – Kim Reeves (Younger Sister), Karina Miller (Younger Maternal Half-Sister), Emma Reeves (Younger Paternal Half-Sister)
- Others – Paul Aaron (Stepfather) (Broadway and Hollywood Actor), Robert Miller (Stepfather) (Rock Music Promoter), Jack Bond (Stepfather) (Hairdresser), Samuel Nowlin Reeves (Paternal Grandfather), Sarah Monilani Victor (Paternal Grandmother)
Keanu Reeves has been represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Alternative rock, grunge rock
Bass Guitar, vocals
6 ft 1¼ in or 186 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Keanu Reeves has dated –
- Melissa Reigel – Keanu is reported to have gone out with actress Melissa Reigel in the past.
- Jill Schoelen (1986-1989) – Keanu started going out with actress Jill Schoelen in 1986. They had reportedly grown close while working in the movie, Babes in Toyland. They dated for little around three years before Jill got enamored with another Hollywood heartthrob, Brad Pitt. She even got engaged to him in 1989 for 3 months.
- Sofia Coppola (1991-1992) – Reeves started going out with screenwriter Sofia Coppola in 1991. It was reported that they had met on the sets of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, which was directed by Sofia’s father Francis Ford Coppola and Keanu was cast in an important role. During the course of their relationship, she was often spotted on the rear seat of his bike, cruising around in Hollywood. They broke up after being together for a little under a year in 1992.
- Sandra Bullock (1993) – Reeves had hooked up with actress Sandra Bullock while they were working in the movie, Speed. Although they went out for a very brief time, they have remained close friends over the years. In November 2011, after the collapse of her marriage with Jesse James, Bullock had found solace in Keanu’s arms. The rumors of their link-up were further fanned after they were spotted on a dinner date at Craig’s Restaurant in Los Angeles.
- Amanda De Cadenet (1996-1997) – Keanu started dating controversial British beauty Amanda De Cadenet in 1996. Their first public appearance was at the premiere of the play, Four Dogs and a Bone. She also took a flight out to New Zealand where Reeves was performing with his band, Dogstar. Later, they were pictured sitting outside a café in Beverly Hills.
- Jennifer Syme (1998-2000) – Keanu’s relationship with actress Jennifer Syme was probably the hardest he had ever had. He met her at a party in 1998 and instantly fell in love with her. Within a year of the start of their relationship, she was pregnant with his child. On December 24, 1999, she gave birth to a stillborn baby (named Ava Archer Syme-Reeves) after 8 months of pregnancy. Syme suffered from deep postnatal depression and Reeves also struggled with his own grief. They broke up some weeks later but remained close. In April 2001, Reeves had to endure another heartbreak as Syme was killed in an accident.
- Rachael Jones (2001) – Keanu had a whirlwind romance with regular English girl Rachael Jones in Sydney. They had met at a small bar, Tatler in Sydney’s harborside area. He went to her room after leaving the bar at around 3 am and he ended up staying in her modest apartment. Thereafter, they seemed inseparable as they were often spotted at exclusive restaurants and bars in Sydney. She was also pictured on his hotel room’s balcony. Their relationship ended by the end of the year as he returned to Los Angeles and she got back to Birmingham in England.
- Autumn Macintosh (1990’s and 2004) – Reeves first started dating actress Autumn Macintosh in the early 1990s. They were reported to have got back together in May 2004. In August, he had proposed to her in a small Los Angeles based restaurant. However, Keanu scoffed at these reports.
- Emma Kearney – Emma Kearney, who worked as a high-profile prostitute, claimed that Reeves had slept with her while he was shooting for The Matrix in Sydney.
- Claire Forlani (2004) – Keanu reportedly started dating actress Claire Forlani in 2004. It was even alleged that Keanu had proposed to her, which ultimately turned out to be a false rumor. The same year they decided to go separate ways. However, they remained on good terms over the years.
- Lynn Collins (2005) – In 2005, Reeves was reported to be going out with actress Lynn Collins. They had started dating during the first half of the year and went out for three months before he dumped her for Diane Keaton.
- Diane Keaton (2005) – Keanu had first met Diane Keaton on the sets of the movie, Something’s Gotta Give. The rumors of them dating started circulating in August 2005 after Diane was spotted visiting his home late at night on several occasions.
- Kelli Garner (2005) – Keanu was rumored to dating actress Kelli Garner in 2005.
- Hallie Meyers-Shyer – Keanu’s relationship with Hallie Meyers-Shyer was exposed in October 2007 after they were spotted kissing in New York City after grabbing lunch at French bistro Pastis. It was later revealed that Hallie’s mother was Nancy Meyer, who was Something’s Gotta Give director. It was also alleged that they had been dating since 2005.
- Martha Higareda (2007) – Reeves was linked up with young Mexican actress Martha Higareda in April 2007 after they were pictured out on a date at a Moscow restaurant in Los Angeles.
- Winona Ryder (2008) – Keanu first met Winona Ryder in 1992 while working in the horror thriller, Bram Stoker’s Dracula. They were reported to be in a relationship by mid-2008. It was claimed that they had fallen in love while working on the new movie, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee. She was also spotted at the bachelor pad in New York City.
- Parker Posey (2008) – By the start of 2008, Keanu was going out with Parker Posey. These dating rumors were sparked by their date at a swanky Los Angeles restaurant in February. They dated for about 6 months before going separate ways by the end of the year.
- China Chow (2008) – Keanu was reported to have hooked up with British actress China Chow in 2008. In June, first, they were pictured frolicking on a beach in French Riviera. Chow was topless and he was shirtless. A day later, they were spotted having lunch in Sanremo along the Mediterranean coast of Italy.
- Trinny Woodall (2008) – Towards the end of 2008, Keanu was linked up with British TV presenter Trinny Woodall after she was pictured on the back seat of his bike while cruising around in LA. They had reportedly met through a mutual friend, British artist Amanda Eliasch.
- Cameron Diaz (2009) – Keanu started dating actress and model Cameron Diaz in August 2009. They were spotted out on a date in Los Angeles and after the date, they were pictured heading to a cinema. They had previously worked together for the 1996 release, Feeling Minnesota.
- Charlize Theron (2010) – In May 2010, Keanu was in a relationship with South African beauty Charlize Theron. After having dinner at the upscale eatery Bouchon, they were pictured hugging and kissing outside a Beverly Hills restaurant.
- Roger Garth (2012) – It was RUMORed that he had a fling with Italian actor and TV personality Roger Garth in March 2012.
- Jamie Clayton (2015) – In July 2015, there were RUMORs that he hooked up with American actress and model Jamie Clayton.
- Alexandra Grant (2019-Present) – In November 2019, Keanu started dating visual artist Alexandra Grant.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Asian)
On his father’s side, he has Native Hawaiian, English, Scottish, Portuguese, and remote Chinese and Dutch ancestry. While, on his mother’s side, he is of English descent.
- Intense gaze
- Deep husky voice
Reeves has appeared in TV commercials for –
- Coca-Cola (In 1983)
- Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
- Suntory Reserve Whiskey (for the Japanese market only)
Best Known For
- Being cast in the leading role in the action and sci-fi movie trilogy The Matrix
- Having been cast in the lead role in several blockbusters and critically acclaimed movies such as The Devil’s Advocate, Speed, and Point Break
As a Singer
Reeves was a member of the alternative rock band, Dogstar from its formation in 1991 to its breakup in 2002. He served as a backup vocalist and bass guitarist for the band. He even used to tour with the band to Europe, United States, and Asia.
They released their debut studio album, Our Little Visionary in 1996 in association with Zoo Entertainment.
In 1985, Keanu made his first film appearance in the Canadian crime movie, One Step Away.
First TV Show
In 1984, Keanu made his TV debut in Happiness is a Warm Grover episode of the Canadian drama and comedy sitcom, Hangin’ In.
For more than two and a half decades, he has been working with Denise Snyder to keep his body in the right shape for a variety of his roles. Over the years, they have tweaked his workouts to suit his movie roles and Reeves has even worked with other trainers for specific roles. For example, he enlisted the professional help of Patrick Murphy to prepare for his role of John Wick.
Murphy designed a workout plan that would prepare his body for action-packed stunts without putting a strain on his worn-out muscles and joints. It focused on joint stability and mobility, injury prevention, and building explosive power. Murphy made heavy use of bands for bodyweight exercises as they are easier on joints and negative resistance works muscle better. Lastly, he had created circuit training routines to get the most out of short sessions.
Reeves also hired former MMA fighter Eric Brown to prepare him for the fighting sequences in the movie. Brown focused on training Reeves in judo and getting his fighting form right. Also, it goes without saying that he followed a disciplined and protein-rich diet to fuel his grueling workouts and martial arts training.
Keanu Reeves Favorite Things
- Movie – Stroszek (1977), A Clockwork Orange (1971), Apocalypse Now (1979), Taxi Driver (1976)
- Kung Fu Movies – Enter the Dragon (1973), Fist of Legend (1994), Tai Chi Master (1993)
- Childhood Books – Count of Monte Christo (By Alexander Dumas), The Lord of the Rings (By J. R. R. Tolkien)
- Teenage Books – The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Adulthood Books – In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust, Cosmopolis by Don Delillo, and The Rabbit Series by John Updike
- Toronto Hangouts – Licks (Hamburger joint), Ramsden Park, The Bloor Street Cinema, and The University Cinema
- Beer – Pilsner or Guinness
- Breakfast – Oatmeal with honey, frosted flakes with cold milk, plain chocolate with a cappuccino, toast with apricot jam, or bacon with sliced banana with maple syrup
- Fictional Technology – Time Machine
- Real Technology – Printing press and electricity
- Filmmakers – Stanley Kubrick, David Lean, Frank Capra, and Martin Scorsese
- Acting Inspirations – Peter O’Toole
Keanu Reeves Facts
- In 2002, he was appointed as a spokesperson for the Australian National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF).
- In 2012, he collaborated with Los Angeles-based builder Gard Hollinger to start the motorcycle company by the name of “Arch Motorcycles”, which started building its own prototype motorcycles.
- He played Prince Siddhartha (the Buddha before his enlightenment), in the 1993 drama film, Little Buddha.
- In 1997, the UK edition of the Empire magazine had him at 23rd position in the list featuring “Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time”.
- He was named after an uncle whose name was Henry Keanu Reeves. Also, Keanu the meaning of his name in Hawaiian is ‘cool breeze over the mountains.’
- While studying in high school, he excelled in ice hockey and was even named MVP on his school team. He dreamed of starting as goalie for the national team but an injury brought a premature end to his career.
- Once, he was involved in a motorbike accident in Topanga Canyon. He was driving with no headlights at night (known as demon ride) when he crashed into the side of the mountain, causing a ruptured spleen and broken ribs.
- He was cast in the role of Chris Shiherlis in the action-drama, Heat. However, he backed out. Similarly, he was offered the role of Private Chris Taylor in the war drama, Platoon but he decided against working on the project.
- When he started his acting career, his agent felt that his name was too exotic. Therefore, in some of his earliest roles, he is credited as K.C. Reeves, Norman Kreeves, or Chuck Spadina.
- He decided that he wanted to become an actor at the age of 15 after he was cast in the Romeo and Juliet play in the 10th grade.
- For the auditions of Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, he and Alex Winter were paired together for the respective roles of Bill and Ted. However, Reeves was cast as Ted while Winter was hired for Bill’s role.
- For his role in the sports comedy, The Replacements, he agreed to take a pay cut of 90% so that Gene Hackman could be hired as well. Also, he took $2 million less for his role in The Devil’s Advocate so as to accommodate Al Pacino in the movie.
- In 2007, the Empire Magazine placed him on the 28th position in the list of “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History”.
- It is a long-standing claim that he donated a majority of his earning from The Matrix trilogy to makeup and special effects staff. However, it has been termed as an urban legend by the movie’s special staff team.
- Reeves has been an active supporter of the SickKids Foundation and Stand Up To Cancer. His sister Kim was diagnosed with leukemia.
- He has co-founded the production company, Company Films. His production house was one of the backers of his movie, Henry’s Crime.
- While growing up, he was diagnosed with dyslexia, which severely affected his education development in the school.
- He was offered a paycheck of $11 million to reprise his lead role in Speed 2: Cruise Control. It was the highest paycheck at that time. However, he turned it down in favor of touring with his band and playing the lead role in the Winnipeg-based production of Hamlet.
- He took 4 months of martial arts training for his role in The Matrix during which he learned more than 200 martial arts moves.
- For The Matrix Trilogy film series, he earned a total of $250 million.
- When asked on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in 2019 about his views on what happens after death, Reeves replied, “I know that the ones who love us will miss us.”
- He is also a comic book writer and has written the Boom Studios’ BRZRKR.
- Keanu is left-handed.
- In December 2021, Keanu Reeves made fun of Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) and said that NFTs can easily be reproduced.
- Keanu was initially considered for the role of Jack Trainer in the 2022 action-adventure film, The Lost City. However, the role was eventually played by Brad Pitt.
- His dream superhero role is Wolverine (played by Hugh Jackman).
- Keanu got his first car at the age of 20.
- In March 2023, during an appearance on a podcast, Keanu revealed that he was advised by his agents to change his name at the start of his career.
- In July 2023, his band Dogstar released a new song titled Everything Turns Around. The song is a part of their album, Somewhere Between the Power Lines and Palm Trees, which was later released in October 2023.
- He doesn’t have a social media account.