|Lynn Whitfield Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||February 15, 1953|
Lynn Whitfield is an American actress who first came to prominence after playing Josephine Baker in the television film, The Josephine Baker Story (1991). Additionally, she is also well known for her stellar performances in The George McKenna Story (1986), The Women of Brewster Place (1989), Heartbeat (1988-1989), Equal Justice (1991), How to Get Away with Murder (2014-2015), Greenleaf (2016-2020), etc.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Lynn attended and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Howard University in Washington D.C.
- Father – Dr. Valerian Smith (Dentist)
- Mother – Jean Butler (Former President of the Louisiana Housing Finance Agency)
- Siblings – Valerian (Pepper) Butler-Smith (Younger Brother). She also has 2 younger sisters.
- Others – Estelle Devall Butler (Maternal Grandmother)
Lynn Whitfield has been represented by Innovative Artists in California.
Lynn Whitfield’s net worth was $3 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lynn has dated –
- Kweisi Mfume (1970-1972)
- Vantile Whitfield (1974-1978) – The Vacation Friends (2021) actress was married to the playwright-cum-director-cum-actor Vantile Whitfield from 1974 until 1978.
- Don Johnson (1976)
- Brian Gibson (1990-1992) – On July 4, 1990, she tied the knot with director Brian Gibson. The couple became parents with the arrival of their daughter Grace Gibson on August 2, 1991. However, they got divorced a year later in 1992.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
She has African-American and Louisiana Creole (African, French) ancestry.
- Pointed chin
- Wide forehead
- Moles on her face
Lynn Whitfield has endorsed brands like –
- Emory Healthcare
- Flying Solo
- Angel Chen
- Oscar de la Renta
- Haute Fashion
Lynn Whitfield Facts
- She considers Ruby Dee as her role model in life.
- Lynn celebrates her birthday on the same day as other notable Hollywood celebrities like Amber Riley, Jane Seymour, Megan Thee Stallion, Alex Borstein, Cesar Romero, Chris Farley, Christopher McDonald, Conor Oberst, and many others.
- She starred as Halle Berry‘s mother in the television film, The Wedding (1998) even though she was only 13 years older than Berry.
- She appeared with Martin Lawrence in the romantic comedy film, A Thin Line Between Love and Hate (1996). Whitfield, who was 42 years old at the time of filming, was 12 years older than the 30-year-old Lawrence, who played her romantic interest in the film.
- Her breakthrough role was starring as Josephine Baker in HBO’s biographical film, The Josephine Baker Story (1991). The film depicted the life of the American-born Baker from the age of 18 to 68 years, during which she found fame as a Folies Bergère star, became a French resistance fighter during World War II, and emerged as a civil rights activist. Lynn’s phenomenal performance earned her a Golden Globe nomination as well as the Primetime Emmy Award for ‘Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie’ in 1992.
Featured Image by John Mathew Smith / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0