Jonathan William Davis
Q-Tip, The Abstract, Kamaal Fareed, Kamaal Ibn John Fareed, The Abstract Poetic, MC Love Child, John, Tip
New York City, New York, United States
Q-Tip was enrolled at the Murry Bergtraum High School in Manhattan, New York City.
Rapper, singer, actor, record producer, DJ
- Father – He used to write poetry.
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Gwen Davis (Older Sister)
Q-Tip is represented by Violator Management & Records.
Vocals, drums, keyboards, guitar, bass guitar, turntables, sampler
Jive, Very G.O.O.D. Beats, Arista, Universal Motown, Battery, Def Jam Recordings, Epic Records
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Q-Tip has dated –
- Karrine Steffans – If the words written in the former video vixen and stripper, Karrine Steffans’ autobiography are to be believed, Q-Tip has had a fling with her in the past. Although she praised his manhood in her memoirs, she called him out for his bad personality.
- Angie Martinez – In the second half of the nineties, Q-Tip was reported to be going out with rapper and actress Angie Martinez. Although they worked pretty hard to keep their relationship secret, the tabloids eventually got wind of their affair. It has been widely reported that radio personality and TV host Wendy Williams had made their relationship public. Due to this very reason, Martinez had got into a scuffle with her.
- Leila Arcieri – Towards the end of the nineties, Q-Tip reportedly had an affair with model and actress Leila Arcieri. If some of the gossip tabloids are to be believed, they grew close while working on the music video of his single, Breathe and Stop.
- Janet Jackson (2001-2002) – According to reports, Q-Tip was going out with Janet Jackson in 2001 and 2002. Amongst those who were pushing their dating rumors pretty hard was a popular gossip columnist, Michael Musto.
- Nicole Kidman (2003) – Q-Tip was linked up with Australian actress Nicole Kidman in the early months of 2003 after they were spotted together at several high profile events. He himself later confirmed that they were a couple for a bunch of months.
- Michele Daves (1990-Present) – Overall, his personal life is cloaked in secrecy as he rarely speaks about it, which makes it difficult for us to find details of his relationship with Michele Daves. It has been reported that he is going out with her since 1990. But some sources claim that they actually got married in 1990. It is also reported that they are parents of two children.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Caribbean ancestry, while, on his mother’s side, he has African American ancestry.
Q-Tip has appeared in a TV commercial for the Sonos App.
In mid-90’s, he converted to Islam and decided to legally change his name to Kamaal Ibn John Fareed. However, it is not known how devout he has been in the recent years.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the hip hop collective, A Tribe Called Quest, which is known for being a pioneer of alternative hip-hop music genre. Their studio album, Beats, Rhymes and Life was certified platinum and had even reached the top of music charts.
- The success of his second album, The Renaissance, which was nominated in the best rap album category at the 2010 Grammy Awards.
- Having worked with established artists such as Busta Rhymes, Kanye West, Pharrell Williams, and Mary J. Blige.
In November 1999, he released his debut studio album, Amplified, which went on to sell about 90,000 album copies in the first week itself and was eventually certified gold.
In 1990, his hip hop collective A Tribe Called Quest released their debut studio album, People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm.
In 1993, he made his theatrical film debut in the romantic drama movie, Poetic Justice, which had Tupac Shakur and Janet Jackson in the lead roles.
First TV Show
In 1990, Q-Tip was first seen on the musical comedy series Showtime at the Apollo as himself (as a member of A Tribe Called Quest).
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Q-Tip Favorite Things
His favorite things aren’t known.
- While growing up, he used to sing in the church choir.
- Early in his career, he used to perform under the alias of MC Love Child.
- He has revealed in the interviews that Q in Q-Tip stands for Queens, a well-known neighborhood of New York City.
- In March 2016, it was revealed that he had been made artistic director for hip-hop culture of Kennedy Center. He became the first individual to be selected to the newly created position.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by docmonstereyes / Flickr / CC BY 2.0